HOME SECURITY CAM - What do You Use?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so I've been using Ring for security cams around our homes but have been thinking about trying something new. Nothing wrong with them per se but I know there's a lot better out there these days and was hoping you guys could share what you like to use and why. I know that most of the cams out there offer a lot of the same bells and whistles but if possible, I would like something that also meets the following criteria:

1. Wireless cam
2. Record video and view video without a subscription
3. 1080 or higher resolution

So you know, I have been looking at the Blink Outdoor 4 (wireless) and Wyze Cam 4 (I don't think it can be had wireless) but would love to hear about other brands as well.

Anyway, would love to hear from you guys and thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Following this. We've been close to getting Ring several times but keep forgetting. I'm interested in hearing about other systems too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interested in this. I B hate the subscription or the cloud service fee a lot of them require to keep the videos.
The subscription thing is really annoying and they keep raising the price on them. Both Blink and Wyze have the means to record and store video locally (no subscription needed) but I haven't been able to determine yet whether or not you can view the recorded video from their app. You can view live but I really want to be able to see what was missed on the go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Following this. We've been close to getting Ring several times but keep forgetting. I'm interested in hearing about other systems too.
Like I said, I have Ring now, the Spotlight Plus wireless and it works well. I do like how you don't have to pay for service but you can't record video without it. That's kind of what I'm really wanting.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The subscription thing is really annoying and they keep raising the price on them. Both Blink and Wyze have the means to record and store video locally (no subscription needed) but I haven't been able to determine yet whether or not you can view the recorded video from their app. You can view live but I really want to be able to see what was missed on the go.
Same here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So far, I'm really leaning toward the Wyze Cam v4

And mainly because they say "Once you’re up and running, you can access your Wyze Cam footage anytime from anywhere through the app. You can also make use of its motion detection feature which sends a notification to your smartphone each time motion is detected in its view. You don’t need to pay a monthly subscription for this feature."

The only drawback is that it requires the cam to be wired. Not a 100% dealbreaker but I would like to place cams facing the house rather than just look out from it.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
I have a Ring Camera on the front door. It works most of the time but our internet is not always the best.

In addition to the above I have multiple hardwired cameras that feed into a hard drive. The hard drive stores 30 days of easily searchable memory. The hard drive is connected to the internet and I have a dedicated laptop in the master bedroom of the house. The cameras have IR and do a good job of capturing clear footage.

I also have game cameras in the woods facing towards the house.

Lastly there is Foo-Gas, punji-sticks, M18A1 Claymoores, sniper over watch, interlocking fields of belt-fed machine-gun fire, and Pitbulls with AIDS. 😂 🤣

Just kidding! No Pitbulls!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Ring Camera on the front door. It works most of the time but our internet is not always the best.

In addition to the above I have multiple hardwired cameras that feed into a hard drive. The hard drive stores 30 days of easily searchable memory. The hard drive is connected to the internet and I have a dedicated laptop in the master bedroom of the house. The cameras have IR and do a good job of capturing clear footage.

Lastly there is Foo-Gas, punji-sticks, M18A1 Claymoores, sniper over watch, interlocking fields of belt-fed machine-gun fire, and Pitbulls with AIDS. 😂 🤣

LOL - if you don't mind me asking, what kind of hard wired cams are you using and did they come with their own proprietary software that run off of?

WJCO

Meme King

images (1).jpeg

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been look at these as well, I'm tired of Ring price increases but their service does not get any better.
I've checked out some others and wyze was on the list but from I've read, they've had security/ caching issues where people reported seeing recordings of other users.
Still looking ...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Check out Eufy Security. No subscription required.
LOL - I was hoping you'd chime in. I couldn't remember what you were using but Eufy is one of the ones I was looking at too.

That said, which one are you using and can you watch recorded video on your app or just a live feed?

JeepFan

Hooked
LOL - I was hoping you'd chime in. I couldn't remember what you were using but Eufy is one of the ones I was looking at too.

That said, which one are you using and can you watch recorded video on your app or just a live feed?
I have the Video Doorbell 2K package. It comes with a base station that controls the cameras and where video footage is stored. In addition to the doorbell, I added 2 wireless eufy cam pros to the base unit. The cameras connect directly to the base station via a secure wireless connection. You can view live, or record video as needed. You can download captured surveillance video to your phone and monitor live video from a web browser via a secure link you create on your mobile device. I'm pretty happy with it.

They have newer models out now which I'm considering upgrading to at some point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Video Doorbell 2K package. It comes with a base station that controls the cameras and where video footage is stored. In addition to the doorbell, I added 2 wireless eufy cam pros to the base unit. The cameras connect directly to the base station via a secure wireless connection. You can view live, or record video as needed. You can download captured surveillance video to your phone and monitor live video from a web browser via a secure link you create on your mobile device. I'm pretty happy with it.

They have newer models out now which I'm considering upgrading to at some point.
Perfect!! That's exactly what I was needing - thank you (y)

AZVAJKU

Hooked
LOL - if you don't mind me asking, what kind of hard wired cams are you using and did they come with their own proprietary software that run off of?

I use Axis cameras and they run off their proprietary software and interface with the ‘Companion’ App. I use the legacy version of the software that is not subscription based.

This thread got me thinking that I need to upgrade my system as well as add more and better cameras. Maybe add some other defenses. Dang it Eddie!! 😂🤣

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
We have the blink outdoor system. It’s the doorbell cam and a few cameras synced to a module. Love using it when we are away and the cameras are motion sensitive. The sensitivity can be changed as well. It’s a great system that’s easy to use

WJCO

Meme King

Been using Eufy for a few years. No subscription all everything is stored local. Can watch live and or record. Honestly can’t say enough how easy it is to use.
So buy once, cry once? Nothing you have to add or renew?

Top Bottom