I truely can't make up my mind: PR44 or PR60

So here is one of my odd questions...

Does a PR60 get better MPG than a PR44? (Providing all other variables stay the same).

I wondered if disconnecting at the hub helps VS back-driving the front on the road.

Not that it really matters to me, but it's something I've wondered.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Does a PR60 get better MPG than a PR44? (Providing all other variables stay the same).

I wondered if disconnecting at the hub helps VS back-driving the front on the road.

Ask the Canadians we ran the rubicon with.

That is a myth. You will not get anything worth writing home about.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

In theory, it should. And, to the believers out there (aka, the Canadians Adam is referring to), it does but talking to a guy who has both setups, I can tell you that it does NOT make a difference at all or at least, not enough to matter.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

I ran hubs on my 44, didn't notice a change in mpg when I took them off. Other than driveline vibrations

I never thought about the effects on driveline vibrations :thinking: This will keep my overthinking mind busy for days :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I never thought about the effects on driveline vibrations :thinking: This will keep my overthinking mind busy for days :crazyeyes:

LOL!! Not too much to think about. With the hubs unlocked, the front shaft simply doesn't spin. It's the spinning (especially with 5.13 or higher gears) that causes the vibrations.

mastrcruse

Had a great phone call with dynatrac. Getting quotes for a hybrid and PR44 to understand the numbers and options.

He's thinks the hybrid would be a good idea as a somewhat less expensive option. He also mentioned that he'd suggest to go with the weaker yoke as a driveshaft break is the easiest trail fix vs an axle shaft and especially and R&P. His approach is to build something that won't break but I'd want the fuse to NOT be the R&P.

PR44: He suggests the extreme duty (only $99 different) and RCV's and going with the 1310 so the fuse is the yoke.

Hybrid: Suggests standard everything and wheel ends with stubby hub kit and 8x6.5

PR60: Suggests standard everything and wheel ends with stubby hub kit and 8x6.5

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Had a great phone call with dynatrac. Getting quotes for a hybrid and PR44 to understand the numbers and options.

He's thinks the hybrid would be a good idea as a somewhat less expensive option. He also mentioned that he'd suggest to go with the weaker yoke as a driveshaft break is the easiest trail fix vs an axle shaft and especially and R&P. His approach is to build something that won't break but I'd want the fuse to NOT be the R&P.

PR44: He suggests the extreme duty (only $99 different) and RCV's and going with the 1310 so the fuse is the yoke.

Hybrid: Suggests standard everything and wheel ends with stubby hub kit and 8x6.5

PR60: Suggests standard everything and wheel ends with stubby hub kit and 8x6.5

Don't get the rcv's. Just get some chromoly's shafts instead.

mastrcruse

Don't get the rcv's. Just get some chromoly's shafts instead.

I said that to him because I've read many times that Eddie suggests not going with RCVs. 2 things he mentioned...lifetime warranty (saw a thread on this not being so easy especially on the trail) and something about the u joints vs CV and the "smoothness" in regards to driving/turning of each. I've read about the lifetime warranty and that doesn't sell me on them but not sure I understand his second point.

I'm 99% confident I'd do chromoly on the 44 and 100% confident I'd do em' on the 60

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I said that to him because I've read many times that Eddie suggests not going with RCVs. 2 things he mentioned...lifetime warranty (saw a thread on this not being so easy especially on the trail) and something about the u joints vs CV and the "smoothness" in regards to driving/turning of each. I've read about the lifetime warranty and that doesn't sell me on them but not sure I understand his second point.

I'm 99% confident I'd do chromoly on the 44 and 100% confident I'd do em' on the 60

I saw an RCV snap at the CV. Snapped clean in half.

xflstl

If money isn't the issue go with the PR60, if Money is the issue, then the PR44 might be just right. RCV shafts are always a nice upgrade. However maybe not the best choice for a D30, but should be GTG on the PR 44 or 60...

Oh my, don't get me going about RCVs. We twisted both shafts, and flat spotted the balls in the CVs and the cheap 1310 u-joint on the shaft was just fine.

BTW: this was not covered under warranty.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw an RCV snap at the CV. Snapped clean in half.

Yup, that was not a pretty sight. Wouldn't be such a big deal if RCV's didn't cost so much more than a standard chromo shaft or if they actually stood by their warranty. Kind of a joke that they don't.

Oh my, don't get me going about RCVs. We twisted both shafts, and flat spotted the balls in the CVs and the cheap 1310 u-joint on the shaft was just fine.

Listen to this guy ^^^

MrGusGus

thank you! this is good data, honestly RCV had me sold until I've been able to get info like this on here. I know it couldn't have been cheap, but thanks for helping us all out

Top Bottom