IF YOU HAD $80K - Would You Buy a Totally Built Jeep or Build Your Own?

With $80K - Would you buy a built up Jeep or build your own?

• Well duh! Buy a built up Jeep!

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Are you Kidding? Build my own of course!

Votes: 64 95.5%

• Total voters

xman4602

I would definitely build. Not only would I know how it was built but I would know how to diagnose problems as they arise. At least with a modicum of understanding of what I am looking at. Not only that but I believe it adds to our connection with our beloved Jeeps. When you buy one, it is just another vehicle that you bought. When you build it, it is a part of you, so to speak. Not to mention the pride factor.

“You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men, but I'm trying real hard to be the shepard”

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I would build it to what I want that's part of the fun and part of what makes a jeep a jeep. I could wait a while to make it how I want it aha. Good thread! Moby and Rubicat are looking sexy! Aha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
For all the guys on here saying they will build it and are all gung-ho about it. Have you considered how much work a v-8 swap or other major modifications are? My idea of an 80K rig involves more than swapping coils and adding bigger tires. The thought of a v8 swap project in my home garage is my idea of a nightmare. Not to mention my capabilities.

A few trips to Motech and Off-road Evolution with a check book sounds a lot more pleasant.

I consider this in the "build" category...as long as you are the one making the decisions as to all the component choices...an engine swap is usually best left to businesses that specialize in them, especially newer vehicles that require custom programming of the ecu, pcm/tcm...

I envisioned and directed every single step of my last build...this was not the dream of someone else's ideas, they were solely mine...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with Brute. For the purposes of this thread and the question I asked, I will say that having a shop build your Jeep would still apply.

farrier

I would love to have the time to build it myself but due to issues I have I would have to go with get it built by a shop that I trust so that I would have more time to enjoy using it

CharlesC

#2 Build, it just feels better when you do it yourself! And even when you think you have it figured out, you learn just a bit more and want just a bit more[emoji106] never ending! No matter the budget.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

TGPJKUR

I vote build, I enjoy working on building up my Jeep. So far the only thing I've had to outsource was the re-gear installation. If I had to do that again I would tackle it myself and learn from the process. I don't mind buying a new tool or two. I was slammed with work when I had the shop do mine, A shop I was somewhat familiar with. In my haste to pick it up and get it home I never realized they didn't give me my set of 4:10s back until I found someone who could have used them. That and the first time I used my rear locker it failed in-between engage and dis engage. I trust myself with the work I need to do on any of my cars, I hate to even take them in for inspections.

Eugene

I'd have to agree with Brute. For the purposes of this thread and the question I asked, I will say that having a shop build your Jeep would still apply.

Given that, I could say build. After buying the Jeep, I'm not sure I could find $10K in parts that I could install myself in my garage much less another $40K.

JAGS

Hooked

Well than, since I've built the only other Jeep I've ever owned, I'd certainly build my next one. [emoji6][emoji23]

With $80k solely for that purpose, I'd be in a very good place.

DTD
60/80 axles
40s
Bumper/tire carrier
Appropriate armor

Since I'd be given $80k, the money that I was saving I'd use towards a true restore project that would take place in my own garage and give myself a bit of hands on experience.

Galo

Kinda outside the parameters of the question, but for $80k, I would build 5 Jeeps, and they would all most likely handle anything I would want to try plus daily duties.
Nice to dream about.
Good question.

Good Day and God Bless.

J.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda outside the parameters of the question, but for $80k, I would build 5 Jeeps, and they would all most likely handle anything I would want to try plus daily duties.
Nice to dream about.
Good question.

Good Day and God Bless.

J.

I hate to burst your bubble but at about $40k a pop, you might be able to just by 2 JK's... and that's it.

Galo

I hate to burst your bubble but at about $40k a pop, you might be able to just by 2 JK's... and that's it.

Hehe. My bubble burst years ago.
I would love a JK or 3, I've always been happy in my CJ's though. Never should have sold my last two.
I should have been more clear, 5 CJ's, or maybe even one a few years prior, an old MB would be nice again.
Can't help but think that $80k would be one nice fund to build a JK with.

J.

Journeyman

I consider this in the "build" category...as long as you are the one making the decisions as to all the component choices...an engine swap is usually best left to businesses that specialize in them, especially newer vehicles that require custom programming of the ecu, pcm/tcm...

I envisioned and directed every single step of my last build...this was not the dream of someone else's ideas, they were solely mine...

I bet you didn't envision those awesome mud flaps! [emoji6] those really take your rig to another level [emoji1360]

Agreed. I like to let the professionals do their jobs. I'm no dummy but there's some stuff that's just way over my head when it comes customized vehicles.

Top Bottom