In a good forum with a good moderator the moderator would warn those folks away

What are the rules? Where are they located? How do you find them?

From the main WAYALIFE page

Scroll down 3 screens and look for the word RULES, Do/Don’t, FAQ … hmm, not there.
Update (it's at the bottom of the screen and normally covered by an infolinks pop up ad. You need to kill the add to see the RULES link.

Click on HELP to see the rules for posting. Very bottom of this screen shot.

1682017284449.png

Which takes you to a very detailed set of guidelines

1682017296174.png

And in the middle of this list you will find:

Can I post links or direct members to other forums, Facebook, YouTube channels or other social media sites?

No. We ask that you NOT post links or direct members to other forums, Facebook pages, chat rooms, YouTube channels or other social media outlets. Soliciting traffic to anyone of these sites is not allowed. Please be advised that your post may be edited or removed if it contains such content.

WJCO

Meme King

Scroll down 3 screens and look for the word RULES, Do/Don’t, FAQ … hmm, not there.
Update (it's at the bottom of the screen and normally covered by an infolinks pop up ad. You need to kill the add to see the RULES link.

View attachment 388318

View attachment 388319

Can I post links or direct members to other forums, Facebook, YouTube channels or other social media sites?

No. We ask that you NOT post links or direct members to other forums, Facebook pages, chat rooms, YouTube channels or other social media outlets. Soliciting traffic to anyone of these sites is not allowed. Please be advised that your post may be edited or removed if it contains such content.
Thanks for sharing.

Robar

The Enforcer

View attachment 388318

View attachment 388319

Passive aggressive much? 👀

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

View attachment 388318

View attachment 388319

So are you saying I was right?

TrailHunter

Hooked

View attachment 388318

View attachment 388319

Actually… if you want to get technical.. its on the first page… when you registered and checked the box that you read the Terms…
B3C0A1F1-09CF-49CF-9A83-8403D96BA99B.jpeg

Actually… if you want to get technical.. its on the first page… when you registered and checked the box that you read the Terms…
View attachment 388321

Yes, the TERMS takes you to the rather LONG list of rules.
Buried within the rules is the bit about don't crosspost youtube links.

Eddie owns the site. His site, his rules. Anyone who wishes to post should follow the rules.

But, when you have a rule that is unusual it makes it easier for folks to follow the rules when you make the unusual ones EASY to find.

Not allowing a youtube link is very unusual. The W in world wide WEB was designed to cross post links. Prior to the web it was very difficult to share info. That's why Tim Berners-Lee create Mosaic at CERN.

Prior to the WEB if you found good info at location A, and wanted to share with people over at location B you needed to cut and paste the entire thing, or reupload the photo or video. Which required lots of redundant storage and bandwidth. The web solved this problem by allowing you to post a simple link to the info.

But again, it's Eddies site. He get's to make the rules.

No matter how many times you retype the same long drawn out bullshit. The outcome is the same. We don’t care how you feel about it. Just turn the page and move on. We don’t have to agree with how you feel the rules should be. Hopefully you just figure it out and enjoy this forum.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Wait a minute...you have to be a human to be on this forum?...somehow I missed that...both of my dogs are going to be disappointed...
So is Ripley!

When I went looking for the forum specific rules, I couldn’t find them. You’d think they would be in the Terms and rules section, but they’re not. I tried the Privacy policy Area, but they weren’t there, either. There are no stickies in any of the forums. I never thought to look in the Help section. Why didn’t I think to look there? Because none of the other forums I frequent stick the forum specific rules away in such an obscure corner. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact.

Getting back to the subject at hand-

Recovery Gear. Don’t Leave Home Without It. Or you might find yourself on a narrow mountain ridge stuck in a snow patch at 10 o’clock at night with nothing to dig yourself out but a common screw driver and dirty looks from your wife.

Not that I’d know personally. A friend told me the story of how this happened to him. Yep. A friend. No names wouldn’t want to embarrass him.

Yes, the TERMS takes you to the rather LONG list of rules.
Buried within the rules is the bit about don't crosspost youtube links.

Eddie owns the site. His site, his rules. Anyone who wishes to post should follow the rules.

But, when you have a rule that is unusual it makes it easier for folks to follow the rules when you make the unusual ones EASY to find.

Not allowing a youtube link is very unusual. The W in world wide WEB was designed to cross post links. Prior to the web it was very difficult to share info. That's why Tim Berners-Lee create Mosaic at CERN.

Prior to the WEB if you found good info at location A, and wanted to share with people over at location B you needed to cut and paste the entire thing, or reupload the photo or video. Which required lots of redundant storage and bandwidth. The web solved this problem by allowing you to post a simple link to the info.

But again, it's Eddies site. He get's to make the rules.
Tim Berners-Lee did not create Mosaic at CERN. He did not create Mosaic at all! Was this intended to be a history test to see if we were paying attention?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So is Ripley!

When I went looking for the forum specific rules, I couldn’t find them. You’d think they would be in the Terms and rules section, but they’re not. I tried the Privacy policy Area, but they weren’t there, either. There are no stickies in any of the forums. I never thought to look in the Help section. Why didn’t I think to look there? Because none of the other forums I frequent stick the forum specific rules away in such an obscure corner. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact.

Getting back to the subject at hand-

Recovery Gear. Don’t Leave Home Without It. Or you might find yourself on a narrow mountain ridge stuck in a snow patch at 10 o’clock at night with nothing to dig yourself out but a common screw driver and dirty looks from your wife.

Not that I’d know personally. A friend told me the story of how this happened to him. Yep. A friend. No names wouldn’t want to embarrass him.
You agreed to the rules when you signed up. You should spend more time on those other forums.

Tim Berners-Lee did not create Mosaic at CERN. He did not create Mosaic at all! Was this intended to be a history test to see if we were paying attention?
You're correct. Tim Berners Lee created the WEB while working at CERN in 1989 and he made the FIRST web browser (but it was named Nexxus not Mosaic). Marc Anderseen wrote Mosaic in 1993. I installed it on a server at Kodak. I've been doing this web and newsgroup thing for a long time. Seen lots of flame wars, try to avoid them. Learned a lot about communication styles and the issues we run into as humans when we only have TEXT and don't have the tone of voice and visual body language cues to help interpret what folks meant.

So I try to assume the best about what people were typing. Makes life a bit easier all around.

Some folks just like to post nastygrams. They add no value. In a good forum with a good moderator the moderator would warn those folks away.

And back to the subject at hand.

The original post about recovery gear is important.
Discussions on the relative safety of different types of gear are useful.
Ronny Dahl of 4 wheeling Australia (can't post a link but ya'll can google it) has some very good videos showing just how much damage a strap can do when it breaks.
I work in a refinery area. Using a winch to pull heavy things is a good way to kill yourself or others if you don't understand your gear and the limits thereof.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
You're correct. Tim Berners Lee created the WEB while working at CERN in 1989 and he made the FIRST web browser (but it was named Nexxus not Mosaic). Marc Anderseen wrote Mosaic in 1993. I installed it on a server at Kodak. I've been doing this web and newsgroup thing for a long time. Seen lots of flame wars, try to avoid them. Learned a lot about communication styles and the issues we run into as humans when we only have TEXT and don't have the tone of voice and visual body language cues to help interpret what folks meant.

So I try to assume the best about what people were typing. Makes life a bit easier all around.

Some folks just like to post nastygrams. They add no value. In a good forum with a good moderator the moderator would warn those folks away.

Ronny Dahl of 4 wheeling Australia (can't post a link but ya'll can google it) has some very good videos showing just how much damage a strap can do when it breaks.
I work in a refinery area. Using a winch to pull heavy things is a good way to kill yourself or others if you don't understand your gear and the limits thereof.
Ice-Cube-WTF-face.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You’re totally right. In a good forum they do that. This forum fucking blows. You better leave and go to one that is better.

Top Bottom