(Insert Cool Jeep Name Here) Build/Wishlist.

Ddays

Hooked
Whew, this is an interesting thread.
Why so set on 40's? Is it for looks? Its Ok if that's what you want to do, after all it's your dough. But if you are going to wheel that thing hard then don't expect it to last long.
Eddie did on Rubicat but his experience and driving skills are a little beyond most of us here. I would compare that scenario to running 37's on a D30. It will last on the street
but not for long if you wheel hard. Same with 40's on PR44. Will it last? IDK, they're pretty damn stout, but if you're going 40's why not save up a little longer and go with a PR60 front?

WJCO

Meme King
Because I can't afford it (or a PR44 for that matter) anytime soon.

If I were you, I would wait until you can afford it and do it right. Otherwise you'll drop the money multiple times instead of just once. It's hard to wait, especially with Jeeps, but seriously do it once and do it right. Many of us have learned from these mistakes by taking the cheaper road the first time.

caminton

Whew, this is an interesting thread.
Why so set on 40's? Is it for looks? Its Ok if that's what you want to do, after all it's your dough. But if you are going to wheel that thing hard then don't expect it to last long.
Eddie did on Rubicat but his experience and driving skills are a little beyond most of us here. I would compare that scenario to running 37's on a D30. It will last on the street
but not for long if you wheel hard. Same with 40's on PR44. Will it last? IDK, they're pretty damn stout, but if you're going 40's why not save up a little longer and go with a PR60 front?

Yeah, my build thread is less of my build and more of advice on things I didn't ask advice on, or things I've already gotten answers for haha.

40's are the goal down the road. WAY down the road. Like, when I can afford another car as a DD and this is just a toy. 37s are the goal as a DD, and should be sometime soon.

caminton

If I were you, I would wait until you can afford it and do it right. Otherwise you'll drop the money multiple times instead of just once. It's hard to wait, especially with Jeeps, but seriously do it once and do it right. Many of us have learned from these mistakes by taking the cheaper road the first time.

If I was thinking a <2 years timeline on 40s, I probably would. But I'm thinking a 5+ year timeline, and by then I'll probably have talked myself out of it.

dillard09

If I was thinking a <2 years timeline on 40s, I probably would. But I'm thinking a 5+ year timeline, and by then I'll probably have talked myself out of it.

How many sets of 37 can you wear out before you have the funds for pr60s? I'm would roll some 37s and save up for the pr60s and 40s at the same time.

caminton

How many sets of 37 can you wear out before you have the funds for pr60s? I'm would roll some 37s and save up for the pr60s and 40s at the same time.

Honestly this is probably what will happen haha. Roll the Dirty Thirty until I break it.

This comes back to the whole "I didn't ask for this" thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the help and advice. But I didn't ask for any of it haha. All I did was cut my fenders this weekend and my thread blew up.

caminton

Went over to 10abadilla/jk's house today and cut my stock flares. I'm really pleased with how they turned out!
Here we are taping the lines off.
View attachment 217497

The lines we used for the rear.
View attachment 217498
View attachment 217499

Rear cut and front lined off. I don't have a picture of the front lines from the front unfortunately.
View attachment 217500

Front cut.
View attachment 217501

And here's the finished product!
View attachment 217502

After I put on the steps and came home.
View attachment 217503
View attachment 217504

Also put on my new RK quick disconnects. They're a little long...darn, guess I need to get more lift!
View attachment 217505

Super pleased with how it all turned out. Huge shout it to Anthony for the help, couldn't have done it without him. He did most of the work on the flares because I don't have a dremel and had no desire to screw this up. Thanks again for all the help man.

Bump, because this is where I'm at and what I did this weekend lol

dillard09

Honestly this is probably what will happen haha. Roll the Dirty Thirty until I break it.

This comes back to the whole "I didn't ask for this" thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the help and advice. But I didn't ask for any of it haha. All I did was cut my fenders this weekend and my thread blew up.

Haha. We are hear to help for the most part and love to have some fun along the way.
Just piece it together the best you can and wheel the hell out of it. When you break something upgrade it. When the time and money comes the pr60 and 40s will if that's what you want. I have a pr44 and pr60ff with 37 now and I love the setup. Works great for what I do and when the pr44 breaks I will think about pr60 and 40s.

Journeyman

This is a funny thread! 40's on a 44! The biggest problem I have with any 44 is the ball joints and unit bearing and yes even a pr44. I suppose the ball joints could be fixed with the dynatrac pro steers but you've still got all the other 44 stuff, unit bearings, brakes etc. With only 35's I think I got max 12k out of my last set of bearings. A 60 is in my future. Do I wheel hard enough for 60's? Probably not, but I'm headed to 37's and I hate replacing bearings and ball joints every 10k and the piece of mind would be amazing. Plus who doesn't want eight lug wheels and one ton brakes their jk.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Cam, you seem like a nice down-to-earth guy. I'm sure you'll build a nice rig. Sorry "the man" gave you a beat down today!

Your chopped fenders look really sweet!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
No beat down, just advice from me.

I didn't say any of the advice was bad, just maybe not the right timing. But like I said it was all handled calmly, so I'm sure it's all good. And everyone following along probably learned some stuff, I know I did.

Top Bottom