Jacking on an uneven surface.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I've always wondered about this. My driveway has a very slight incline. If I jack up the front I'm fine. The transmission is in P, the e-brake in on, & wheels chocked. If I need to jack the rear though, my front end is in neutral & I'm probable gonna get hurt.

If I'm in 4Lo, in park, & wheels chocked couldn't I jack up the rear end and assume the transmission won't let the front wheels roll freely? Is there a safer way to do this? It's a very slight incline, but there none the less.

Sent from my duck blind.

jkris

Try backing in and then jacking up the front? It is what I would do if I was working on the front. Just make sure you place the chocks in front of the rear tire instead.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I've done it many times in neutral/park. Provided the vehicle is facing my house, I always put a wheel chock under the back of each front tire. Then when I jack up the rear pumpkin, I carefully watch the vehicle to make sure it isn't rolling (it never does).

The other option is to back the vehicle in, then put the chocks under the front of each front tire (by the street). Even safer, because if the vehicle were to roll, it rolls away from you.

jkris

I've done it many times in neutral/park. Provided the vehicle is facing my house, I always put a wheel chock under the back of each front tire. Then when I jack up the rear pumpkin, I carefully watch the vehicle to make sure it isn't rolling (it never does).

The other option is to back the vehicle in, then put the chocks under the front of each front tire (by the street). Even safer, because if the vehicle were to roll, it rolls away from you.

^^^^^ what WJCO said ^^^^^ He is better at articulating what I was trying to say.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Does putting it in 4hi or lo make any difference though? I had started to do it once and I think she'd rolled back a bit. Once I started to jack the passenger rear wheel spun a bit and I got spooked. Should I go one side at a time to keep 3 wheels down at first or off the pumpkin?

Sent from my duck blind.

WJCO

Meme King
Does putting it in 4hi or lo make any difference though? I had started to do it once and I think she'd rolled back a bit. Once I started to jack the passenger rear wheel spun a bit and I got spooked. Should I go one side at a time to keep 3 wheels down at first or off the pumpkin?

Sent from my duck blind.

I've always left it in neutral. What kind of repairs are you doing?

jkrichard

Just chock the tires man, do it safely, last thing you need is a vehicle on top of you. My wife's vehicle always rolls if it's just on the jack. A couple pieces of lumber will usually do it if your not wanting to buy proper chocks.

Don't try to shortcut safety.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I've always left it in neutral. What kind of repairs are you doing?

Planning on doing my lift. Getting her up is one thing. Torquing bolts to 120lbs is another. I'm gun shy that it'll be fine till I really go to town.

Just chock the tires man, do it safely, last thing you need is a vehicle on top of you. My wife's vehicle always rolls if it's just on the jack. A couple pieces of lumber will usually do it if your not wanting to buy proper chocks.

Don't try to shortcut safety.

No way bud, I bought proper chocks. I had a widowmaker (aka shitty spare jack) tip over once putting a donut on an Audi. Luckily the wheel was on with the first couple of lug nuts. That's why I'm taking this so serious. But am I going too far?

Sent from my duck blind.

GraniteCrystal

Planning on doing my lift. Getting her up is one thing. Torquing bolts to 120lbs is another. I'm gun shy that it'll be fine till I really go to town.

No way bud, I bought proper chocks. I had a widowmaker (aka shitty spare jack) tip over once putting a donut on an Audi. Luckily the wheel was on with the first couple of lug nuts. That's why I'm taking this so serious. But am I going too far?

Sent from my duck blind.
When it comes to jacking it up, I generally think you can't go too far.

What lift are you doing?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

USMC Wrangler

The driveway at the house I'm renting is dang near perfectly flat and even. I still use chocks whether I'm lifting the front or rear and of course jack stands with wheels off. Also, throwing a wheel/tire combo or two under the vehicle makes me feel safer.

All of your final torquing should be done with the wheels on and the Jeep on the ground.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

ScoobyCarolanNC

When it comes to jacking it up, I generally think you can't go too far.

What lift are you doing?

Rancho 2" Sport w/ 5000s. Just going up to 33s.

The driveway at the house I'm renting is dang near perfectly flat and even. I still use chocks whether I'm lifting the front or rear and of course jack stands with wheels off. Also, throwing a wheel/tire combo or two under the vehicle makes me feel safer.

All of your final torquing should be done with the wheels on and the Jeep on the ground.

Very valid point I wasn't thinking about.

You can never go too far when it comes to safety...

Broken my nose 6 times, I've fallen off 2 roofs & been shocked more times than I can remember. I'm not trying to add "dropped a Jeep on myself" to that list lol.

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna point her away from the house, 4Lo, Park, & big chocks. I haven't ordered anything yet, but I'm convinced I can pull it off safely.

Sent from my duck blind.

JeepJeep75

Hey ScoobyCarolanNC. To very basically answer your question, yes. Putting the jeep in 4lo or 4hi locks the front diff to the rear diff since there is no center diff in the transfer case. So if the E-brake is on and/or the trans is in park the jeep shouldn't roll away if you lift the rear end off the ground. But as others have stated, you just can't be TOO careful. If you are gonna jack the jeep up and you are leery of getting under it, put your tires under it too.
When I'm under my jeep with the tires off, I try to put the tires under the axles or in a place where if the jeep did fall off the jackstand it would hopefully not squash me completely flat.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have the same situation at my house. I just chock both front & back of the wheels on each wheel, and haven't had a problem. I do usually roll one of the wheels under the frame, so if it did fall, there would be something to keep it from falling all the way.

jesse3638

Hooked
I've recently done some work on my 2wd truck which required me lift the rear of the vehicle. I backed in, chocked both fronts of the front wheels. Jacked real slowly at first because you never want to start fast. Once the rear wheels were off the ground I set it on Jack stands. Before I crawled under there I shook the hell out of the truck and it didn't move. Figured I was good to go and made my repair.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
my driveway is an incline, when I put my lift on I used a couple of harbor freight wheel chocks, transmission in P and jack stands under frame. I had it jacked up pretty high and had no issues with it rolling.

Top Bottom