JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

WJCO

Meme King
You will download the BadElf app that is free. When you plug in your GPS receiver you launch the BadElf app and it starts receiving a signal. After launching Gaia, Gaia WILL automatically connect and use the BadElf receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's what I was hoping for. Thanks. And I assume the little green LED means the receiver is working?

black pearl

Hooked
I use an iPad Air with the plug in BadElf. I bought the Gaia app for my mapping GPS source. I pre download maps and never have to worry about having a cellular signal.

I too have mounted a Carrich over my 430N (a piece of junk for off road navigation IMO). Then I use and old iPad with the Gaia app. Then I use a Dual GPS that syncs to the Gaia topo and plots my tracks. The Gaia system has great coverage of off road trails. You download map sections when you have Wifi and then you are self contained, not needing cellular while on the trail.

[emoji848] am I the only person without a iPad? [emoji23][emoji23] maybe one day

WJCO

Meme King
[emoji848] am I the only person without a iPad? [emoji23][emoji23] maybe one day

Lol. That's how I felt. I hate Apple products. It's no wonder the symbol is a bite taken out of forbidden fruit, it's the devil. I plan on using this for GPS functions only, no other functions. I still have a flip phone.

WJCO

Meme King
I like the sounds of that ... we may have found a winner

Spend some time researching it on YouTube, etc, but for a decent GPS at a good price, it's a winner. I do 4 season camping and mountaineering and it's been good. For a simple backpacking GPS that allows for satellite maps, it's pretty good for an affordable price. I did an 18 hour climb a few years ago and the thing was on the whole time with plenty of battery life to spare. I've used this thing in Sub-Zero temps too, and it works fine. Again, my only gripe is the small screen size.

black pearl

Hooked
Lol. That's how I felt. I hate Apple products. It's no wonder the symbol is a bite taken out of forbidden fruit, it's the devil. I plan on using this for GPS functions only, no other functions. I still have a flip phone.

I have a iPhone but am trying to get away from using, it hence looking at GPS[emoji23]

Tanktitan

Here is what a Gaia map looks like when plotted

IMG_2801.jpg

Here is how the plot looks overlaid the trail

IMG_2802.jpg

This is great when you come to trails crossing each other or branching (assuming you want to stay on a particular trail as opposed to wandering).

black pearl

Hooked
Spend some time researching it on YouTube, etc, but for a decent GPS at a good price, it's a winner. I do 4 season camping and mountaineering and it's been good. For a simple backpacking GPS that allows for satellite maps, it's pretty good for an affordable price. I did an 18 hour climb a few years ago and the thing was on the whole time with plenty of battery life to spare. I've used this thing in Sub-Zero temps too, and it works fine. Again, my only gripe is the small screen size.

I'll be going to look at some of them in person in a week or so but am glad to hear that one I was considering holds up to real life use ... thank you for the input on it

SDG

Caught the Bug
I know you said you did t want a phone gps, but I have to ask why? I have the back country navigator app and it's amazing. I can get pretty much any map out there and it's super accurate and phone battery efficient. No charge needed over 5 days. The attached screenshot it what walking around fishing looked like... 01-06-17_22-11-29.jpg

132JKPNW

i run the Garmin 650T handheld with the powered ram mount hard wired into my 12volt in the dash. Pops right in and out of the mount below my radio and turns on and off automatically with the ignition. Also, i can run it like a Automotive GPS while in the car, or a handheld for hiking all with birdseye.

WiscoHR

I use an iPad mini with a Dual GPS which has been working great for me. As far as the apps, I use MotionX for tracking where I've been. And you can download .gpx files to use as a route guide prior to your trips. IMG_0746.JPG And as of lately I've started to use Avenza maps as well, which you can track your route directly on downloaded MVUM. IMG_0747.JPG

tippedover

Off road GPS

If you want something that can be used for more than one thing check out the garmon 401 hand held that's what I got issued first time over seas and it is a great little gps u can wear as a watch and is great for hiking. Might not be all that great for back country if u don't know ur grids but assuming u can pull that from a map it's by far the best for anything you could use a gps for in my opinion.

black pearl

Hooked
I know you said you did t want a phone gps, but I have to ask why? I have the back country navigator app and it's amazing. I can get pretty much any map out there and it's super accurate and phone battery efficient. No charge needed over 5 days. The attached screenshot it what walking around fishing looked like... View attachment 261568

The main thing with my phone is I use it for my business and it's a huge distraction making all kinds of noise and interruptions. I want to be able to turn it off and have it just for emergencies

black pearl

Hooked
i run the Garmin 650T handheld with the powered ram mount hard wired into my 12volt in the dash. Pops right in and out of the mount below my radio and turns on and off automatically with the ignition. Also, i can run it like a Automotive GPS while in the car, or a handheld for hiking all with birdseye.

If you want something that can be used for more than one thing check out the garmon 401 hand held that's what I got issued first time over seas and it is a great little gps u can wear as a watch and is great for hiking. Might not be all that great for back country if u don't know ur grids but assuming u can pull that from a map it's by far the best for anything you could use a gps for in my opinion.

Garmin seems to be where it's at for hand held GPS. I can't wait to look at some of them in person as my searching has been online so far

SDG

Caught the Bug
The main thing with my phone is I use it for my business and it's a huge distraction making all kinds of noise and interruptions. I want to be able to turn it off and have it just for emergencies

Airplane mode, with the GPS enabled would do exactly that (unless you have meeting notifications etc), but I understand what you are saying. The temptation to check it may still be there.

black pearl

Hooked
Airplane mode, with the GPS enabled would do exactly that (unless you have meeting notifications etc), but I understand what you are saying. The temptation to check it may still be there.

Yeah it's a strange thought process I have but I think part of it is also to truly disconnect from the phone thing we have going in the world right now also. Hell I've been on the fence of just getting a bunch of 7minute topo maps and not even getting a GPS. [emoji23][emoji23]

Tanktitan

I use an iPad mini with a Dual GPS which has been working great for me. As far as the apps, I use MotionX for tracking where I've been. And you can download .gpx files to use as a route guide prior to your trips. View attachment 261573 And as of lately I've started to use Avenza maps as well, which you can track your route directly on downloaded MVUM. View attachment 261574

Good info on Avenza. I did not realize the Dual would plot on the Forest Service maps. Thanks!

Top Bottom