JKU Seat Modififications... DONE !

taJKUmal

So I've been reading about how to make the back seats more comfortable. I saw a nice product on how to firm up the center section with a 1/8" support. Great idea, just couldn't wait, so I did that part myself. Went down the local hardware store and found some suitable material for $10, cut it to length, and it works perfectly to prevent the middle rider, from getting the seat sag syndrome.

Another article I read, said leaning the rear seat back with some washers, made things nicer as well. One of my only reservations about the JKU is my 6'2" son. He's so uncomfortable in most cars rear seats, the JKU he'd just have to get over it. I'll do what I can. So here's some photos to show you what was done.

I picked up a box of 7/16 flat washers for $5

You have to manually remove the 4 floor bolts under the seat legs. They were a real pain to break loose ( 18mm).
Then I used the impact to free the lower 3 bolts behind the seat. Just loosen the upper 3, on top of the rear deck.

I placed a stack of 6 washers, behind the bolts on the lower seat bracket, and 6 under each bench seat leg, to elevate the knee area slightly as well. Those two spots are only about 7/16 of an inch difference but give it about 5-10 degrees more lean. Every bit helps make you not feel like an airplane ride, especially if the guy in front leans their seat back a little.

Overall, I believe I gained about 2-3 inches of lean, at the headrest. I should have taken a before photo, and I apologize.
I was watching where the seat rest was, in relation to the hard top glass. I put marks in the photos, of the net gain, and process.

Best of luck - Be sure you tighten those bolts back down good. You got some important family and friends back there.

SeatMod.JPGSeatMod2.JPGSeatMod3.JPG

Remembered this thread at home depot tonight and did the back seat tilt / recline.

Ended up using 1/2" electrical struts instead of a stack of washers (7/16ths is a better fit but I didn't see any). I think I got an inch or two.

I too, should have taken a before picture. Shame on me.

IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0615.jpg

did this a while back, I used some thick plastic washers and glued them together. I also put them on the rear (or would that be middle bolts) and you can see lean difference

Top Bottom