JT - Sport Max Tow or Willys?

Dale72

Hooked
Exactly! That’s a huge plus, especially when you want to add your own list of stuff. Definitely a solid foundation just like Eddie said in regards to OG40.
I thought that I heard Mel say in the video that he didn't have the Rubi t case in OG40. It was the video that Eddie did on the trail when he and Mel was going over everything that was on it. I'll have to go back and watch it again tonight.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I thought that I heard Mel say in the video that he didn't have the Rubi t case in OG40. It was the video that Eddie did on the trail when he and Mel was going over everything that was on it. I'll have to go back and watch it again tonight.
Yup your right. He didn’t upgrade the t case.

sunnysideup

There is a cool modification that is available on the Max Tow rear end if you upgrade. You can get 35 spline cromo shafts with an ARB in the axle! I went to 37's and re-geared and had the stuff all replaced. The carrier and rear axle are different than a rubicon in the max tow- oddly enough the shafts are the exact same length side to side (so you cannot slip in the factory rubi locker in the max tow without buying rubi axles too). I am not sure if the internal bearings are different... but the person who replaced mine said the bearings in the max tow were what you expect in a much larger truck... maybe that helped the tow rating? I have no real idea what his comments were talking about or if the rubicon carries the same bearings in the gladiators. But I learned that there are a lot of internal differences on a max tow rear axle.

jorgelrod

Hooked
There is a cool modification that is available on the Max Tow rear end if you upgrade. You can get 35 spline cromo shafts with an ARB in the axle! I went to 37's and re-geared and had the stuff all replaced. The carrier and rear axle are different than a rubicon in the max tow- oddly enough the shafts are the exact same length side to side (so you cannot slip in the factory rubi locker in the max tow without buying rubi axles too). I am not sure if the internal bearings are different... but the person who replaced mine said the bearings in the max tow were what you expect in a much larger truck... maybe that helped the tow rating? I have no real idea what his comments were talking about or if the rubicon carries the same bearings in the gladiators. But I learned that there are a lot of internal differences on a max tow rear axle.
I thought max tow gave you the same Rubicon axles except without the lockers.

FFPulley77

Hooked
I’ve been doing some heavy thinking and I appreciate everyone’s responses… however, I can’t bring myself to part from my 2-door.
So the next stage of the build begins.
I’m starting with a rear Eaton E-locker and front/rear re-gear. Then I’ll be going for a Dana ultimate 44 in the front with another E-locker in the next year or so.

maybe someday down the road I’ll snag a JT.

CerOf

Enjoy your 2-door! The JT is truly like driving a bus compared to yours!

PS Max tow also gets steel knuckles.Rubi and Willy’s are aluminum.
Diesel Rubi gets steel knuckles.

Top Bottom