KP's JKUR Build

KPM171

Loving this build! I'm a bit biased though as I have a 2013 on order exactly the same as yours!!

I will be getting rid of my 2010 JKU Sport, but I am going to retain most of my aftermarket goodies which include, the ARB Deluxe Bumper, various lights, winch, lift, same CB as you, etc.

I have a couple questions for you when you have time.

How much difference in power and driving did you notice after the addition of the ARB and winch? I know the Pentastar is a huge improvement over the old 3.8l but just curious what your impressions were after the install? I know my ARB and Superwich have to add at least 150lbs.

Also, I am familiar with the SPod and considering it for the new JK, (made my own Aux fuse box on my current ride) is it only switched power with the Spod or can you have a mixture of switched and non-switched? I've searched for a bit and can't find an answer.

TIA and looking forward to see what else you have in mind.

Exactly the same? That's awesome! That billet silver with the black top looks pretty damn good imho.

Regarding power/bumper, I only had my JKUR for around 250 miles when I installed the bumper/winch. Since I never really got on the gas in the first 3,000 miles I don't have a good frame of reference to say if I've lost any power on not. I'm sure with the added weight (120lb bumper & 65+lb winch), it's a little slower but I don't have anything to compare to. So, my answer must be no. I didn't really notice any changes.

On the sPod, all the switches are hot all the time. None of them are ignition controlled.

dstock

Exactly the same! I think the contrast of the black top and black fenders is great!

Thanks for the info on the Spod, not sure if I like the hot all the time scenario, have to think about that one. Definitely like how clean of an install it is though.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gobi Stealth rack for my cargo needs.

What else do you have planned?

KPM171

Exactly the same! I think the contrast of the black top and black fenders is great!

Thanks for the info on the Spod, not sure if I like the hot all the time scenario, have to think about that one. Definitely like how clean of an install it is though.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gobi Stealth rack for my cargo needs.

What else do you have planned?

That Gobi Stealth Rack looks like a fantastic place to hang 4 Rigid SRQ-2 lights!

Let's see... my next write ups are on-board air, auxiliary lighting, wheels, and then an intake system. I'm currently shopping for a new tire carrier/bumper combo but I think I know the one I'm going to go with (just hoping for a sale!).

KPM171

Air Up! (ARB CKMA12)

Something I've always wanted in a Jeep but have always been a little leery of getting was on-board air. Simply b/c of the amount of space a full compressor takes up and the added weight. Lucky for me (not so much for my wallet!) I found an ARB High Output compressor kit from NorthRidge4x4. This little compressor fits under my hood in some dead space and has no problem airing up tires (only 32's for now) and possibly filling up a small tank for some air tools. But really, I only plan to use it for tires after trails since I don't even own any air tools at the moment.

I was just about to do a full write of my on-board air compressor install on this build thread, but @WayOfLife beat me to it. My bracket is a little different as it sits back against the firewall while his is perpendicular to mine. I had to relocate the horn and wired it to my sPod instead of the supplied switch, but everything else is pretty much the same. Here it is installed in all its on-board air goodness!
17919_10151534884282068_581331632_n.jpg

@Wayoflife's ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor Under the Hood JK Installation Write-Up

The only complaint I have isn't about the product, which works very well, it's in my install. I drilled a new hole in the bracket when I had to move my horn and now I believe it's not grounding out properly. Nothing a metal file and some patience won't fix tho!

Last edited:

KPM171

Air Dammmm?

I've been thinking more and more about the gaping hole that acts like a sail b/t my bumper and edisco skid plate, and have decided I should do something about it. After getting to the end of the internet, I've figured that no one makes the piece I need. So, I broke out the measuring tape last night and the trusty protractor to start taking some measurements for a new piece. I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what metal I'd like to have it built in as I've no grasp on metal working, but I have found a local fabrication shop and sent them all of my measurements and crude drawings. I'm leaning towards 6061 Aluminum b/c I think it'll be a great light weight piece and considering it's only got to withstand wind & road debris, I think maybe I can get away with a 1/4 or 1/16th inch thick plate? I really don't know, but I'm meeting with the main fabricator either tomorrow or early next week to discuss and take some very precise measurements before he starts his cutting, bending, & drilling. Hopefully he'll have some suggestions that aren't crazy on the wallet.

dstock

Something I've always wanted in a Jeep but have always been a little leery of getting was on-board air. Simply b/c of the amount of space a full compressor takes up and the added weight. Lucky for me (not so much for my wallet!) I found an ARB High Output compressor kit from NorthRidge4x4. This little compressor fits under my hood in some dead space and has no problem airing up tires (only 32's for now) and possibly filling up a small tank for some air tools. But really, I only plan to use it for tires after trails since I don't even own any air tools at the moment.

I was just about to do a full write of my on-board air compressor install on this build thread, but @WayOfLife beat me to it. My bracket is a little different as it sits back against the firewall while his is perpendicular to mine. I had to relocate the horn and wired it to my sPod instead of the supplied switch, but everything else is pretty much the same. Here it is installed in all its on-board air goodness!

@Wayoflife's ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor Under the Hood JK Installation Write-Up

The only complaint I have isn't about the product, which works very well, it's in my install. I drilled a new hole in the bracket when I had to move my horn and now I believe it's not grounding out properly. Nothing a metal file and some patience won't fix tho!

You will love having the onboard air, comes in very handy on the trail and in general, I even use it at home when I am too lazy to fire up the "big" compressor.

I've got the same on my 2010 (well actually it's in box now awaiting the 2013), is that the only way the ARB installs on the 2013? My previous one installs, like Wayoflife's but I think that is for the earlier JK's. I didn't realize they moved the horn back to the firewall for the new models?

Trying to get my ducks in a row before the new one arrives, Gobi is ordered, MORE dual battery tray is next and also some way to mount the ARB compressor on the list.

dstock

That Gobi Stealth Rack looks like a fantastic place to hang 4 Rigid SRQ-2 lights!

Let's see... my next write ups are on-board air, auxiliary lighting, wheels, and then an intake system. I'm currently shopping for a new tire carrier/bumper combo but I think I know the one I'm going to go with (just hoping for a sale!).

Yeah those Rigids would be sweet (as my wallet shudders and runs into a corner to hide). I actually saw somewhere you can run the Rigid D2's and Duallys on the Gobi, with a slight mod to the light tab mount.

Do some research on the intake system, unless you are talking a snorkel I've seen mixed reviews about any real world benefit from adding an intake system.

How big you going tire size wise?

Briguy114

I've been thinking more and more about the gaping hole that acts like a sail b/t my bumper and edisco skid plate, and have decided I should do something about it. After getting to the end of the internet, I've figured that no one makes the piece I need. So, I broke out the measuring tape last night and the trusty protractor to start taking some measurements for a new piece. I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what metal I'd like to have it built in as I've no grasp on metal working, but I have found a local fabrication shop and sent them all of my measurements and crude drawings. I'm leaning towards 6061 Aluminum b/c I think it'll be a great light weight piece and considering it's only got to withstand wind & road debris, I think maybe I can get away with a 1/4 or 1/16th inch thick plate? I really don't know, but I'm meeting with the main fabricator either tomorrow or early next week to discuss and take some very precise measurements before he starts his cutting, bending, & drilling. Hopefully he'll have some suggestions that aren't crazy on the wallet.

I don't know if any of the kits that "relocate" (really rotates it up) your sway bar motor will work with your bumper, but its something to consider instead of installing a skid

KPM171

You will love having the onboard air, comes in very handy on the trail and in general, I even use it at home when I am too lazy to fire up the "big" compressor.

I've got the same on my 2010 (well actually it's in box now awaiting the 2013), is that the only way the ARB installs on the 2013? My previous one installs, like Wayoflife's but I think that is for the earlier JK's. I didn't realize they moved the horn back to the firewall for the new models?

Trying to get my ducks in a row before the new one arrives, Gobi is ordered, MORE dual battery tray is next and also some way to mount the ARB compressor on the list.

I believe that when they went to the new engine, they rearranged some components as well. As such, I think my ARB kit might be the only one that fits. However, don't take my word for it as I haven't done a ton of research on the matter. The horn is in two places, behind the head light and on the drivers side fender. The kit bolts to the firewall and also next to the drivers side fender. That's where you have to move the horn. I liked the simple plate that bolts to the firewall set up which is lucky for me b/c I don't think the old style kit fits any longer.

On another note... Curse you! MORE Dual Battery Tray is now on the wish list. :broke: Are you planning on any crafty wiring set up for the two batteries or just run some 0 or 1 awg positive to positive w/ a 300amp fuse?

Yeah those Rigids would be sweet (as my wallet shudders and runs into a corner to hide). I actually saw somewhere you can run the Rigid D2's and Duallys on the Gobi, with a slight mod to the light tab mount.

Do some research on the intake system, unless you are talking a snorkel I've seen mixed reviews about any real world benefit from adding an intake system.

How big you going tire size wise?

Yeah, a few Rigid lights will really make the wallet run in a corner and hide, but they are totally worth it imho. 3000+ lumens/light? Yes!

The intake I've picked out can be lightly modified later on to run a Snorkel kit if I want to go that route. I've seen a few dyno tests of this style of intake showing +6 hp at the wheels. I don't want to start a parts war here b/c I know many folks disagree with intakes, but I will keep you guys posted with a write up of what I do.

I'm trying to stay stock ride height and tire height for as long as I can take it. But, so far the plan is to run a 34.5" Duratrac. However, the more I'm looking into my mods & plans (tire carrier, lift, body mods) the more I see that everything is going to be spec'd out to run a 37" if I want to. :hmm:

I don't know if any of the kits that "relocate" (really rotates it up) your sway bar motor will work with your bumper, but its something to consider instead of installing a skid
That's good thinking, but even were I to relocate (rotate) my edisco up, the gaping hole b/t the bottom of the bumper and the cross-members and skid plates would still be there. Besides, I'm pretty psyched to actually design something myself from scratch and see it come to life then onto my Jeep! :D

Last edited:

KPM171

I shall call you day light!

I've always liked the idea of having recovery lights both front and rear. While I don't do a lot of night wheelin', there are plenty of occasions where being able to see clearly behind you can be very helpful. It's for this reason that I agonized on a back bumper. Looking for something with integrated recovery lights rather than heading down to the local auto parts store and slapping on a tractor light. Luckily for me, as I was surfing assorted forums, I came across a light mounting bracket that fits beautifully on top of the rear tail light from Rigid Industries and their LED lighting is not only insanely bright but very compact. And as we all know, compact = easy to fit. The mount works with both the Dually series and the SR series lights. I went with an SR-Q2 series light b/c it was a single row of LED's and wouldn't stick up as high as the Dually. Also, if you only plan to run one light back there... make it a good one. 3000+ Lumens? Yes! Each of these lights comes in a few configurations, and after much debate (with myself) I settled on the wide light pattern.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370443350.067380.jpg

On this install, in addition to the insane light output, I particularly like the attention to a few little details. For example, taking the time to paint the screws that hold this bracket in place. Yeah, you can only see one at a glance or all three if you really look for them. But that's the point, they no longer stand out. Sometimes, the little details can really bring it all together. Well, they do for me anyways. Wiring is pretty straight forward on this set up. They've included a fuse and switch, but since I've already got my sPod ready to go, it was as simple as running a power/ground wire directly to switch 6. The wires run behind the tail light, up into the tub, following the oem harnesses behind the carpeting, down the wheel well, under the door sills, & through the firewall. Please, save yourself the head ache and do NOT disassemble the big connector attached to the light. It'll fit behind the tail light housing as it sits. Just trust me on this one. :doh:
417934_10151622233557068_1219345467_n.jpg

Thus far, I'm extremely pleased with the light output of the SRQ-2 and am noodling over plans to install a couple of them up front. Possibly replacing the IPF 968's that sit so prominently on the bumper eventually. Before I get to the IPF's, I know I'll run a set of Dually's off the a-pillars and I'm working on a custom super-secret squirrel mounting bracket for another set of SRQ-2's up front. This may hurt the wallet... just a smidge.

Last edited:

dstock

I believe that when they went to the new engine, they rearranged some components as well. As such, I think my ARB kit might be the only one that fits. However, don't take my word for it as I haven't done a ton of research on the matter. The horn is in two places, behind the head light and on the drivers side fender. The kit bolts to the firewall and also next to the drivers side fender. That's where you have to move the horn. I liked the simple plate that bolts to the firewall set up which is lucky for me b/c I don't think the old style kit fits any longer.

On another note... Curse you! MORE Dual Battery Tray is now on the wish list. :broke: Are you planning on any crafty wiring set up for the two batteries or just run some 0 or 1 awg positive to positive w/ a 300amp fuse?

I'll check into your ARB mount, I actually like the positioning of it better where you have it and if there is no other choice then that makes the decision even easier!

I run a National Luna Dual Battery Split charge system. I'll dig up some pics, the system is very simple to install but has an intelligent solenoid and a nice battery monitor to go with it. I have an ARB fridge I like to run for extended periods without draining my main battery.

And not to worry, I will blame you for my future Rigid purchases! :brows:

KPM171

Met with my fabricator today in a random parking lot. He took a look at my (crude!) drawings and said it was all easily do-able. After crawling around and taking several precise measurements, he suggested working in 1/8" aluminum with a powder-coated finish to match the bumper which sounds great to me. After a little back and forth, we settled on 8 mounting points using black 5/16th's allen head button style cap screws for that low drag, low profile, oem look. This might be a great place for one of those Wayalife stickers I've been eyeballing. :hmm:

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
Awesome! I bought a Rough Country front bumper (cheap, light, looks good, has a winch plate, can mount stock fogs, is light, and did I say cheap? :D) and I'm gonna be looking into that front skid you bought (the Rugged Ridge one). Man am I glad I saw that you had issues with it and went with OR Fab. I'll have to look into theirs. I have a 13 too so I would have issues. Keep up the good work dude! I'll be watchin and taking notes :p

KPM171

Awesome build. The sPod installation looks really clean!!
Thanks! I'm really happy with how that install worked out.

sweet rig i have the billet silver also and it looks great , nice job :clap2:
Thanks! That Billet Silver really is an excellent color.

Awesome! I bought a Rough Country front bumper (cheap, light, looks good, has a winch plate, can mount stock fogs, is light, and did I say cheap? :D) and I'm gonna be looking into that front skid you bought (the Rugged Ridge one). Man am I glad I saw that you had issues with it and went with OR Fab. I'll have to look into theirs. I have a 13 too so I would have issues. Keep up the good work dude! I'll be watchin and taking notes :p
Yeah, you'll have to trim your frame as well. All the 2010 and up JK's believe have the little pieces that prevent the RR piece from sitting flush with the frame. The Rugged Ridge folks were really nice when I spoke with them about taking the piece back. If you have any questions on the OR-Fab piece or need more pix, feel free to PM me. I'll be pulling it off to install my new custom front air dam in 2 weeks (hopefully!) or so and can take more pix while it's off my rig.

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
I'm already looking into the OR Fab one right now lol as long as it's price is right (as in not more than $200) I'll probably save and get it. I may PM you in a minute haha

*Edit: HOLY TITTIES BATMAN THAT'S CHEAP! Yup it's being added to my build list on ExtremeTerrain.com haha btw, thats a great cite to order from since they have free shipping on orders over $75 and they have good/great prices ;)

Last edited:

dstock

KP, quick question on the ARB front bumper, did you have to relocate the vacuum pump to install it?

TIA

KPM171

ARB, You go to hell and you die! (Use Mr. Garrison's voice here)

Oh ARB, our relationship really is a complicated affair, isn't it? I really, really want to love your products but you make it difficult when 100% of them don't actually bloody fit like you claim they should! :mad:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370616382.467343.jpg

My front bumper was a full 12+ hour headache simply b/c someone decided to come to work drunk on bolt threading day. This was solved with the help of some WD-40 and a nice heavy mallet, but not after I test fit it in place a few times too many. Based on previous experiences, I really don't know why I would think my rear bumper install would go any smoother. I got started last night by removing my rear bumper (8 bolts & 2 brackets) which was pretty straight forward. Next, opening up the bag of parts, you'll easily see that ARB loves to send you extra parts and sh!t you don't need. Take a look at it all spread out. Thanks for the mud flap bracket guys. That's gonna be super useful!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370616403.051644.jpg

Prepping the ARB bumper for install was... well, what I should expect by now. The cover plate (sits under the spare) almost fits nicely, but the screw holes don't really line up. Out comes the mallet again to encourage a better fit. Now comes the easy part, install the brackets into both sides of your frame, make sure they line up with the holes, and attach the bumper. The bracket lines up fairly well on the driver’s side, but there are no holes on the passenger side. Just rock solid double welded frame. WTF ARB? As if that's not enough fun, when test fitting the bumper (that I was repeatedly assured would fit around my OEM trailer hitch), I noticed that I'm short around an inch or so of clearance around the OEM hitch. It's not that I don't understand how to make these things work, it's that I spend a lot of time searching for products that look great, work well, and go on easily without any cutting/drilling/grinding.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370616421.384086.jpg

With the matching tire carrier already on the way, I’m really at a loss for what I should do. Do I stick with the ARB product and make it work? I can’t imagine the tire carrier is going to be any easier than anything else that I’ve gotten for the JK from this company. Nor can I guess ahead of time what part of the install is going to be a complete cluster. Or should cut my losses and shop around for a different bumper/tire carrier set up? I like the look, and I want it to work but ARB… your fitment and instructions are the absolute worst. In the meantime, I guess I’m rolling west coast style with no bumper at all.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370616434.884108.jpg

KPM171

I'm already looking into the OR Fab one right now lol as long as it's price is right (as in not more than $200) I'll probably save and get it. I may PM you in a minute haha

*Edit: HOLY TITTIES BATMAN THAT'S CHEAP! Yup it's being added to my build list on ExtremeTerrain.com haha btw, thats a great cite to order from since they have free shipping on orders over $75 and they have good/great prices ;)

Yeah, it's a pretty cheap piece but there's honestly not much to it. It's a cut piece with one bend, it's not too heavy, it does it's job, the end.

KP, quick question on the ARB front bumper, did you have to relocate the vacuum pump to install it?

Nope, I didn't have to relocate the vacuum pump. But please please please test thread all the mounting bolts on the ground before you have it lined up on the Jeep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom