Let's see yall getting "nocked" up!

sm31

Quick update...

I always have to remind my dumb ass that it pays to shop around. I only had one more shop to call and I'm glad I did because they're happy to set us up for a little more than half what the other place was pushing!

As for the speed bows with high draw weights, etc., they just aren't in the cards for me. I'm at a functional disadvantage because as a cyclist, I've skipped "arm day" way too many times. Lol...

CD2

Caught the Bug
Finally got my Blackwidow limbs. Proly last one I'll have built.
Shoulder issues made me shelve my 54# HS (cool old metal riser Widow) and order a PSA2 at 46#.
Tried to run a lesser # compound last yr, a new Hoyt Torrex at 58# but doc said no bow til he cleared me.
Season was hosed.

No surgery needed, but work is pretty physical and even after therapy and a shot, impingement still an issue.
Not as bad, but still sucks. I do my PT at home 2 or 3 times a week. Seems as though it's no worse, or better.

Used to shoot 3D, shot for a shop, helped do shoots on weekends. Was a ton of fun back in the 80's.
But IBO and other club politics showed me the good times were fading.

I only shoot with a couple buds, once in a while now. One, we've been shooting together for 40 years YIKES!

Proly my best bow was my Hoyt Protec Safari. Cam and a half was not fast, but not slow and it felt good at 65% letoff.
These new bows are faster, at less #.....but they hurt to draw (at the start).
My old Hoyt was 72# and 28" draw, so it clocked 272 fps w my hunting Goldtips.
Fast enough. Super comfy. Only issue I had with it.......weight. It was a boat anchor!

FWIW my SA2 at 55# and prev PSA2 at 57# blew through deer and didnt break 200 FPS LOL.
But I ran around 530gr and 20% FOC w COC heads.

Got some RMS Cutthroats single bevels to try this year. From the new Blackwidow.
G5 Strikers for the Hoyt if Im too messed up to run the stickbow.

sm31

The best bang for your buck is to buy a top of the line model that is one or two years old. A lot of guys buy a new bow every year.

Also. Go to your local shop. Take some lessons. Get to know the guys that hang out there. A deal will pop up. Don’t go in with a mail order bow and ask them to tune it and expect to be well received.

I took your advice and did exactly this... FTW! 🍺

The shop owner ended up selling me his son's Bowtech Solution SS (SS stands for "super smooth", and they mean it), all kitted out for $750. I'm over the moon about this thing. Never thought a compound bow could draw like this one. Been putting about 50 arrows a day into the bag in my back yard for the last couple of weeks. It makes me feel like a hero because I feel like I can pull 60 lbs on it all day long with my weak-ass arms. Lol... I definitely gave up a little speed with it but not enough to matter to me. IBO is 332 fps (30" draw @ 70 lbs, on "performance" setting), and it's got that "flip disc" thing where I can change it from comfort to performance for a few more fps. I'm totally happy with it on "comfort" right now though. And I can't believe how accurate it is for a 30" bow. It may be short but IMO it won't suck at 3D. Or rather, *I* will suck at it but not the bow. 😅

I also got my Wife a cool little used Hoyt Ruckus (from 2013 when they were good) from the same shop. She's loving it too & already tearing up the target. And I'm pretty surprised at the velocity her little bow delivers...

Thanks again for the advice everyone! It was spot on!

CD2

Caught the Bug
Cant find a pic of my current Blackwidow HS. Here's the one that preceded it.
'75 model so has the semi gloss black.
The one I had before that was 80s model and spider web finish. Current one is matt black w satin epoxy " frost " finish

They all wore that Delta quiver LOL

Cool rigs.

HS-1975.jpg

Top Bottom