Lift Laws

jk4x4wrangler

A State can pass a law that is enforceable within that State's boundaries. Sure, the can't ticket you in AZ for a law in MA but if you drive on MA roads you must comply to all their codes. It really isn't difficult to understand.

LMFAO, dude, you are all over the place, apples to oranges type stuff. It is "reasonable" to expect someone to comply with a seatbelt, speed, cell phone or helmet law. Those are simple things, we are talking about suspension lifts, major vehicle modifications, it is COMPLETELY unreasonable to expect a person to fully re-modify a legally registered and inspected out of state vehicle to comply with the laws of a state they are either passing through or visiting. That seems to be the key issue you are missing here. If a LEO chooses to waste his/her time and the time of a out of state tax payer trying to enforce something that will be easily thrown out, thats on them. Bottom line yes they can effect a traffic stop for this with proper PC and even issue citations if the deem it appropriate, but this is something a first year law student could get thrown out.

Skirmish

The point is not can you get away with it because many times you can. The point is can you get a ticket and be fined for traveling through a State without complying to their legal statutes. The answer is yes.

If you drive a vehicle through UT with the lowest part of body floor more than 3" higher than the frame even if it is legal in the State you registered in you can be ticketed and a judge can order you to pay a fine.

Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not but that is t the issue. It can happen and some States, cities and counties are known doing it. Some feel they are too busy to waste time on it. In Vegas a lot of people run dark tint on their windshield and never get a ticket. In most States the average LEO wouldn't even bother to know lift height restrictions. I wouldn't worry about most laws unless I needed an inspection but I put side markers on specifically to be legal in CA. I'll be making quick disco mud flaps for UT and CA.

You can take your chances or comply.

BlackKnight

That cop obviously didn't understand the law because you are not required to have both plates unless they are issued. Some States, NV for instance, you are only required to run a front plate if the front bumper has provisions for it.

Show me the code that requires you to run both plates on every motor vehicle operating on the road in NJ or your argument is invalid.

MA is a two plate state, but if you get a custom plate, you only get one, so they violate their own law. Go Figure...

White_JKU

I'm not gonna pull all the quotes from up above but when a state's law is written for motor vehicles ... It rarely states "only vehicles from this state" or the exact opposite "excluding out of state vehicles"...

Remember.... If you are not a particular states resident ... You ARE NOT EXEMPT FROM THAT STATES LAWS.... They are not making "national recognizable laws" as one person mentioned earlier. You the out of state traveller may choose to bypass a state if you choose to. The state does not force you to come into its jurisdictional boundaries.

People often forget that although we are one nation... We are basically lots of little countries unified together under a unified body of government.
Be thankful we don't have to get per approved before crossing state lines... It VERY WELL COULD BE THAT WAY. "If the state wanted to make it a law of that particular state"
Traffic laws for a state are enforced upon ALL vehicles traveling within its boundaries. Just do some research and if you want to risk a violation because of whatever reason then don't go there.
Not trying to sound mean... But that's what any judge will tell ya... Law is law is law is law......

Traffic laws are misdemeanors (except for a select few) and are just like any other misdemeanor crime.... It would suck for a person to go around spitting in people's faces then be let go because they were not from that particular state..... It's a rough metaphor but its the same principle.

Just research ppl.

Joe, you friendly neighborhood Georgia cop

Top Bottom