Lift upgrade

Kevgund

So I am currently running the 2.5" AEV Dual sport lift and I want to upgrade it. I have already upgraded all of my arms to Metalcloak adjustable arms.

The local shop near me is recommending Metalcloak springs pared with the rocksport shocks. I was leaning towards the EVO plush ride springs but could not decide on a shock just yet.

I am looking for more flex and a better ride than the AEV gives me. Do you all have any recommendations or comments regarding the Metalcloak springs and shock setup?

Thanks All

Kevgund

I hear you guys on the plush ride compared to the AEV.. but I am wondering the difference compared to the Metalcloak.

Masjkf84

Caught the Bug
I went from AEV to MetaCloak and felt it was a change for the better.

After a few years I went to a different coil, synergy, not evo and liked it even more.

having rode on both AEV and MetalCloak I’d say do the plush rides if you have it narrowed down to those 2.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're looking for ride comfort, a single rate coil will always do a better job of giving it to you.

Olga23

So I am currently running the 2.5" AEV Dual sport lift and I want to upgrade it. I have already upgraded all of my arms to Metalcloak adjustable arms.

The local shop near me is recommending Metalcloak springs pared with the rocksport shocks. I was leaning towards the EVO plush ride springs but could not decide on a shock just yet.

I am looking for more flex and a better ride than the AEV gives me. Do you all have any recommendations or comments regarding the Metalcloak springs and shock setup?

Thanks All
I m running a 3.5 metal cloak lift with adjustable short arm with the recommended shocks. And I am very happy with this left. I also have adjustable track bar and drag link.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I m running a 3.5 metal cloak lift with adjustable short arm with the recommended shocks. And I am very happy with this left. I also have adjustable track bar and drag link.
Is it safe to assume you haven't run any other lift kits in the same size?

JudeinPa

I am actually doing a lift upgrade myself. I have heard so many good reports on the EVO plush rides that I purchased a set of 3” moving up from a 2.5” lift. Just waiting for some time to install.

bmkrinne

I used to have the same AEV 2.5 lift as you and changed to 4” EVO plushride springs with Core4x4 control arms. Not exactly apples to apples with what you’re thinking but close. I liked the AEV ride quality but wanted more lift and was pleasantly surprised with the softer ride of the EVO coils. The AEV springs were good but the EVO’s ride better, kind of like it on pillows. I have not run the metal cloak springs and can’t comment on them.

MericaMade

I was really happy with the ride on my 3 inch Evo coils and the 3.5 inch in a JL. Cant go wrong with their coils.

sm31

Question about the 3" Evo Plush Ride Coils:

I currently have a 2.5" Clayton Overlander+ kit installed. Very happy with it, high quality, etc. but I want a tad bit more clearance. I'm planning to purchase the 3" Evo coils but one thing I'm not a fan of on my current install is the "rake". It makes perfect sense because this is an overlanding-oriented kit but the ride height out back (unloaded) is about 3/4" higher than in front. Do the Evo coils set a fairly flat ride height or are front spacers required to even it out? Thanks!

Edit: 2011 JKUR on 35's...

jesse3638

Hooked
Question about the 3" Evo Plush Ride Coils:

I currently have a 2.5" Clayton Overlander+ kit installed. Very happy with it, high quality, etc. but I want a tad bit more clearance. I'm planning to purchase the 3" Evo coils but one thing I'm not a fan of on my current install is the "rake". It makes perfect sense because this is an overlanding-oriented kit but the ride height out back (unloaded) is about 3/4" higher than in front. Do the Evo coils set a fairly flat ride height or are front spacers required to even it out? Thanks!

Edit: 2011 JKUR on 35's...
I'm running EVO 4" coils and unloaded they sit level. They do squat once loaded down though. If you carry a lot of weigh in the back you may want the rake. I believe there are some guys who have added a 3/4 or 1" spacer to accommodate this. They are awesome going fast paired with evo spec Kings

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you are happy with your current setup why not just add a spacer to get you the half inch needed? Sounds like a waste to order new coils for half an inch. Add half inch in front and 3/4 or 1” in the rear.

jeeeep

Hooked
I ordered a set of Crown upper coil isolators and stacked them with the existing isolators, that took the rake out of my Clayton kit.

They've been in there for a few years and still holding

sm31

If you are happy with your current setup why not just add a spacer to get you the half inch needed? Sounds like a waste to order new coils for half an inch. Add half inch in front and 3/4 or 1” in the rear.
Great advice! I may just do that. I am reasonably happy with the Clayton springs. Ride quality is great... but wondering whether the Evo's might get me a bit more articulation up front? For all the rear rake, I seem to get the rear wheels to "stuff" more than the fronts, and I'm actually confused by that because it sounds a bit counter-intuitive.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Great advice! I may just do that. I am reasonably happy with the Clayton springs. Ride quality is great... but wondering whether the Evo's might get me a bit more articulation up front? For all the rear rake, I seem to get the rear wheels to "stuff" more than the fronts, and I'm actually confused by that because it sounds a bit counter-intuitive.
Coils won’t get you more articulation.

Top Bottom