LoD bumper tire carrier...

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I have the latch style and its great. The latch actually broke and LoD sent me a new one no questions asked. Also while at the dealership they forced it passed the stop and broke it. Ordered a new one from LoD. They explained to me that it is designed to break like that as not to bend the stop pin. If the pin bent there would be no way to fix it and you'd have to buy a whole new carrier assembly. DWiggles-Make sure the little bump stop is contacting the carrier first when you close it. Also I had to reinstall my stock spare tire bumpstops. If not I had a weird rattle when I'd hit potholes or bumps in the road. Clifford I'm in Apple Valley. You're more than welcome to come by and check it out in person to see what you think.

Yeah thank you that would be awesome. Yeah that's one thing I don't want is for the tire carrier to rattle.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I think the zinc is worth it. Also, I strongly suggest not getting the round lights. The only way to get them out is to take the bumper off.

Yeah sharkey thanks that makes my decision on lights I was already leaning in the LEDs but good to know.

jesse3638

Hooked
I think the zinc is worth it. Also, I strongly suggest not getting the round lights. The only way to get them out is to take the bumper off.

^^^This^^^ I didn't know that when I purchased it but also the LED option wasn't available either. Had they been I would have went LED

Yeah thank you that would be awesome. Yeah that's one thing I don't want is for the tire carrier to rattle.

Shoot me a text when you'd want to swing by. I'll take you for a ride so you can hear what it sounds like. I'll be home around 6PM tonight and home most of Saturday too. 760-486-6669

Last edited:

MOOK

photo-6.jpg

Here is mine with 20in slabs, 40x1550 nitto muds. At first it had back an forth wobble driving on the street, but after adjusting the psi on my rear kings from 100 to 150psi, plus a slight tightening of the latch seems to have done the trick.. Mostly i believe my issue was due to the psi being to low in my coilovers, who knew :crazyeyes:

Trail JK

Pics are also showing up on my IPad .......Great timing Clifford33.....looking at the same set up for mine later in April 樂 already leaning towards the door link version...also debating between standard black texture coated or the zinc enriched finish....is the extra coin for the zinc coating worth the added expense?

Paint option: Is it worth the extra cash to go with the zinc enriched paint?

My 2 cents, the zinc is most important if you live in an area where you get snow. Not as important in SoCal for example.

Yeah sharkey thanks that makes my decision on lights I was already leaning in the LEDs but good to know.

You may also want to go with the amber LEDs and not white for the rear lights... wish I would have.

blackrubi14

Yes, I cut the spare tire mount off, squared it out, tig welded it back together; mine had a ever so slight clockwise rotation that was just enough to bother me. I'll mess with the adjustable bumpstop this afternoon. after reading your post, I'm pretty sure mine is too loose.

I had to take the adjustable bumpstop off all together, after trying everything from extremely tight, to barely touching, to adding foam, cloth and finally a piece of fleece, the rattle continued. I just used the factory bumpstops and adjusted the plates to touch them pretty firmly and the rattle disappeared.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
My 2 cents, the zinc is most important if you live in an area where you get snow. Not as important in SoCal for example.

You may also want to go with the amber LEDs and not white for the rear lights... wish I would have.

We do get our share of snow around here. Thanks. Why the regrets on going white on the led lights?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I had to take the adjustable bumpstop off all together, after trying everything from extremely tight, to barely touching, to adding foam, cloth and finally a piece of fleece, the rattle continued. I just used the factory bumpstops and adjusted the plates to touch them pretty firmly and the rattle disappeared.

I'll give this a shot too, I "fell off the road" during lunch, and didnt hear the same rattle I heard yesterday, but I messed with it sense then.

Trail JK

We do get our share of snow around here. Thanks. Why the regrets on going white on the led lights?

I have the round lights. Amber is what you want to use for dust lights on the trail. It's easier on the eyes for the Jeeps behind you.

Jk909

I have the latch style and its great. The latch actually broke and LoD sent me a new one no questions asked. Also while at the dealership they forced it passed the stop and broke it. Ordered a new one from LoD. They explained to me that it is designed to break like that as not to bend the stop pin. If the pin bent there would be no way to fix it and you'd have to buy a whole new carrier assembly. DWiggles-Make sure the little bump stop is contacting the carrier first when you close it. Also I had to reinstall my stock spare tire bumpstops. If not I had a weird rattle when I'd hit potholes or bumps in the road. Clifford I'm in Apple Valley. You're more than welcome to come by and check it out in person to see what you think.

You got lucky. I forgot to latch mine at the power washing station. When I noticed I hit the breaks like an idiot causing the while carrier to bend the pin and smack the side of my jeep. I still need to get that dang pin out lol

jesse3638

Hooked
You got lucky. I forgot to latch mine at the power washing station. When I noticed I hit the breaks like an idiot causing the while carrier to bend the pin and smack the side of my jeep. I still need to get that dang pin out lol

Oh shit that sucks bad. Are u going to have to replace the swing away part of the bumper?

Bunz-o-fun

It's hard to tell from some of the pictures using my phone, but how is the license plate visibility with the latch system?
Thanks for starting this thread, good info.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
^^^This^^^ I didn't know that when I purchased it but also the LED option wasn't available either. Had they been I would have went LED

Shoot me a text when you'd want to swing by. I'll take you for a ride so you can hear what it sounds like. I'll be home around 6PM tonight and home most of Saturday too. 760-486-6669

Ok thanks Jesse! Yeah we're so close will have to hit some trails together. Once I get time aha

Jk909

Oh shit that sucks bad. Are u going to have to replace the swing away part of the bumper?

No I'm sure I can get it out at my shop but due to that fact that I work with metal every day I never actually work on my own stuff lol

vitodivita

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459469470.728969.jpg
I have the gate linked version, zinc coating, rigid cut outs. It's been rattle free the last 5 months I've had it with a 35 and 37 on it. Opens with ease and can take hits on the trail pretty good.

I recommend it, install was smooth and fit and finish is great.

Top Bottom