Look at an ACE Rear Bumper - Is it solid? Any rattles? Negatives?

Robar

The Enforcer
Ace comes first in the yellow pages. Might as well give them a try. That's all you really need to know!

jknit

I love the evo carrier too, but I was really interested in having an integrated design with the read door. No particular reason other than less moving pieces

JAGS

Hooked
No rattles on the Ace bumper, they have a lifetime warranty and its solid as hell. What am I missing? I have a friend with another bumper.....one that has been mentioned above and his spindle after 1 yr has basically seized. I guess that's superior. :)

If I didn't like it.... I would tell you.....I can admit when I am wrong but so far I have had Zero issues and would recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which one might this be.......that your friend has?? Might as well share that since you are giving opinion on one that you've purchased.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
both of these are based on what exactly???

I can only speak for myself but, I've seen quite a few of their bumpers and the quality of their "finished product" looks well, UNFINISHED.

I agree their welds look like shit but time spent cleaning up welds vs terrible welds that don't work are 2 different things, am I to understand that the welds are bad as in insufficient penetration or something along those lines?

Glad you agree their welds look like shit. I never said their welds weren't full penetrating welds. On the same token why would you sell and put your name on welds that even you admit look so shitty?

what is it that makes their design so terrible exactly? this is the info i was looking for in the first place so if you have actual reasoning behind your comments other than complete opinion I would love to here them. (and for the record I am a fan of the overall look aesthetically speaking so please dont post that as a reason hahah)

In my opinion, they have a shitty design because they weld together the bumper in pieces then without making them look "finished" spray them and send them to the consumer. Isn't a bumper supposed to not only serve a purpose and fit a function but also look good? I mean that's what I choose to spend my hard earned money on. But hey, what do I know.

Soylent

I have the Hanson bumper/carrier. I like it a lot. Very solid. Nice finish and welds.

Attachments

• 1444525132358.jpg
    1444525132358.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 1444525146326.jpg
    1444525146326.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 1444525162273.jpg
    1444525162273.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 1444525230516.jpg
    1444525230516.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 1444525244527.jpg
    1444525244527.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 150

Godspeed409

Love the LOD. Added the trail rack and about 45 lbs of weight and it handled it beautifully on my previous camping trip. Maybe its just me but the ACE welds not being smoothed out would bother me.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440800860.848924.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440800860.848924.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 152

dillard09

I have expedition one. It is solid as others have said. They also make attachments for hi lift and rotopaxs if you want them. I have hi lift and 2 x 4 gal rotopax on it and the only rattle I get I'd from the hi lift. It also opens with the door very easy.

Anyone using the crawler conceptz body mounted carrier? Would love to go genright or evo, but at half the price it's intriguing.

Dyerjk

I've had the Ace bumper and carrier for a little over a year with my 35" mounted. Install was easy and did require some adjustments after the first run after everything settled in. As mentioned the welds aren't pretty, but they are sound. Powder coat is ok, but the rattle can is my best friend anyways. I live in SoCal, so lots of rocks.......
For me this was the best value for the money I wanted to spend. I did look at AEV, Warn, and a few others. But the overall value was hard to pass up.

Larger tires may present issues I've not had.

Would I buy it again, yes. If I wanted to spend more money I would have easily bought one of the others.
The front bumper is a different story, wouldn't buy that one again.

Good luck.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
im still super happy with my expedition one. Solid as a rock, has a monstrous spindle, and is absolutely silent after well over a year of being mounted.

16431183048_1c964b044f_c.jpg

TFD

I've got the ace tire carrier. The weld on the carrier was bad, letting water into the tube ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448412785.418766.jpg

Ace sent me another carrier, but I've lost confidence in the quality of the product.

zimm

Caught the Bug
To answer the OP- Solid as it gets- 1/4" steel throughout. No rattles at all. They must have redesigned some stuff because the carrier slid right down into the bumper- older reviews had people hammering them in. The bronze bushings have a radius on the top- maybe that's the change. No need to notch the frame, the LED lights (lifetime) fit right in.

Negatives:
-I wish there was a way to drop the height of the tire a bit- it's really high for a 35". Harder to see traffic behind me.
-The rearward two bolts that go into the frame won't thread in. Not sure why. I just got a $9 tap from amazon and will try to see if I can clean up the starting thread to get the bolts to go in. There are still 6 other monster bolts holding the bumper on, so no worries there.
-CB antenna hole- A K4 stud fits, but no room for a screw on cable because there's a welded nut next to it. Maybe a firering coax would fit, but I wasn't going to re-run my entire coax. I bolted on a 2" stainless steel tab to move the antenna over a tad, that's working.
For the money, it's a great buy. If I did it all over again... maybe a higher end bumper like JCR.

Last edited:

zx6r

i'm happy with mine. no negatives and i have pounded the crap out of it. it's taken all the abuse like a champ

BLK HULK

I have the Ace bumper on mine an have exceeded the weight with a 40x16.5" tire and wheel combo of over 200lbs. I have ZERO rattles and it opens ans closes with no issues. I also have the AEV on the 13JKU and its quality. No issues, no noise, I added the AEV highlift mount to it aswell.

Sorry for my meme

Top Bottom