lowest tire pressure?

trailraider

what's the lowest air pressure anyone has run on their tires WITHOUT bead locks and no issues?

I ask as I don't air down often and when I do I only drop to twenty pounds. I worry about the side wall burning up and if too low the tire coming off on the rim. I was on the TOYO website and could only find specs for as low as 22 lbs.

I have the 315/65r18's M/T's. any one run similar they can say they have run a lot lower with no issues?

thanks

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I have 32s but run 20. I know a couple people that run 15 with no issues. The way it has been explained to me is that it really takes a lot of heat (high speeds) with low air pressure to do any sidewall damage.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
On my stock rubicon tires, i did 20 all day. I played with 15psi more than a couple times but i felt like my rig was to low when on rocks (stock)
Other than popping the bead twice at 15 was when i was in mud and sand. Which was my fault for turning to quick. Other than that, no problem. Now that i jumped to 35s im gonna start at 15 and go from there

Edit: im still on the stock Rubi wheels

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
12psi on the trail and 32 on the road. I'm running stock 255 Trail Graps. Never had a problem. Not yet anyway.

ob_tj

I have 33" BFG ATs on the road I run them at 30 psi and on trails go down to 15 and in snow some times 10.

Webe

37's I run 3 psi on our snow runs and 5 - 8 psi off roading otherwise. 25 - 30 psi on highway depending on tire wear.:twocents:

trailraider

While out my buddy runs 6-8 some times a low as 3 while wheeling on his tj with 33x10.5x15

this low a pressure and they don't come off the rim?

that's what im trying to find out , as I don't want to air down and not have enough pressure to still hold it to the wheel.

3 lbs seems really low for that.

robx251

Caught the Bug
this low a pressure and they don't come off the rim?

that's what im trying to find out , as I don't want to air down and not have enough pressure to still hold it to the wheel.

3 lbs seems really low for that.

To be fair the 3 lb ride was a winter run. I think he has only popped a bead off once that I can think of running 6-8

trailraider

To be fair the 3 lb ride was a winter run. I think he has only popped a bead off once that I can think of running 6-8

from all the responses I may try to drop to about 10 my next trail ride and see how it handles. although we don't really have much that we need to air down here. not much rock crawling.

swampdog

Dude, you need to take all of this with a grain of salt. There are so many variables here in people's responses the play a role in ability to hold a bead at low pressure...sidewall height, rim width vs tire width, wheeling conditions, etc. To just drop air pressure arbitrarily based on forum responses with tons of variables is just silly.

Drop the air pressure to 15 ( a good starting point for most all combinations) and wheel it. Then, continue dropping a pound as the day goes on until you find either a) the sweet spot for your setup, or b) the point where you lose a bead. This is the only way as YOUR rig is not the same as everyone else that is responding.

WJCO

Meme King
Dude, you need to take all of this with a grain of salt. There are so many variables here in people's responses the play a role in ability to hold a bead at low pressure...sidewall height, rim width vs tire width, wheeling conditions, etc. To just drop air pressure arbitrarily based on forum responses with tons of variables is just silly.

Drop the air pressure to 15 ( a good starting point for most all combinations) and wheel it. Then, continue dropping a pound as the day goes on until you find either a) the sweet spot for your setup, or b) the point where you lose a bead. This is the only way as YOUR rig is not the same as everyone else that is responding.

Wise words.

Top Bottom