Lux pro-installer heat issues

Jackboeker83

So I got the lux lights with the pro-installer and overall I like how easy the lights were to install and the amount of light it produces.

The problem I have had is the pro-installer box deformed in my engine bay due to the heat (picture below). It did this within a week of installing it. The great news is Lux lighting sent out a replacement immediately and said some customers are reporting this and they suggested I move the box or wrap it in heat protectant.

1. Not sure moving it will help and I don’t see a better location for the box anyway. I have seen some people place it next to the battery but due to me having a diesel and the evo coilovers that space is taken due to having to move the aux battery to make room for the coilovers.

2. I could wrap it in heat reflection but that would be ugly as hell (it’s usually shiny aluminum or something along those lines).

I have thought of wrapping the new one in Tesa tape (the tape the factory wraps wire looms in) but not sure if that will do the trick. Anyone have any thoughts or know of a product that will block heat and will look factoryish. I know nobody will see it but I am OCD like that.
IMG_9004.jpeg

Spazbyt

Hooked
That sucks. I have one mounted on top my fuse box on my 3.6 jk with no issue. I dont think heat tape is going to keep that from melting. It may suck but I would look for a diffrent place to install it. Sorry I'm not familiar with the diesel engine bay.

Jackboeker83

That sucks. I have one mounted on top my fuse box on my 3.6 jk with no issue. I dont think heat tape is going to keep that from melting. It may suck but I would look for a diffrent place to install it. Sorry I'm not familiar with the diesel engine bay.
I will have to give a better look myself tomorrow once I have better light.

JT@623

Hooked
I talked with a guy who has a diesel and his inner fenders have melted twice. The diesel’s must run hot. I would say your best bet is to re locate

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I talked with a guy who has a diesel and his inner fenders have melted twice. The diesel’s must run hot. I would say your best bet is to re locate
They run hot cause they need to perform regens to burn off all the soot in the filter. Temps can get to 1000* +/- during the regen so I’m not surprised the fenders have melted. It would also explain why the Lux box has melted

They run hot cause they need to perform regens to burn off all the soot in the filter. Temps can get to 1000* +/- during the regen so I’m not surprised the fenders have melted. It would also explain why the Lux box has melted
Still odd. Especially that these ecodiesels do a “passive regen” when they are up to temp at freeway speeds. Something else is going on for it to get that nuclear hot under the hood is my guess.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Still odd. Especially that these ecodiesels do a “passive regen” when they are up to temp at freeway speeds. Something else is going on for it to get that nuclear hot under the hood is my guess.
Exhaust Temps still hit 1000*ish when performing the regen at highway speeds. The soot doesn’t burn off in the filter at anything less.

Exhaust Temps still hit 1000*ish when performing the regen at highway speeds. The soot doesn’t burn off in the filter at anything less.
Yea I get that. I mentioned the highway speeds because of all the airflow. Im guessing something is blocking proper ventilation. A winch, lights, removing or adding air dams/skid plates. Etc.

Im at 30k miles on mine. I just don’t see it melting fenders. Ever

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yea I get that. I mentioned the highway speeds because of all the airflow. Im guessing something is blocking proper ventilation. A winch, lights, removing or adding air dams/skid plates. Etc.

Im at 30k miles on mine. I just don’t see it melting fenders. Ever
I have seen some front plastic inner fenders deform on some of the 2500/3500 GM trucks I have worked on and only on the passenger side since that’s where the Downpipe is. In the rear they don’t put any liner on the beds cause of how hot it gets back there. I’m sure you’re right tho that maybe adding skids or whatever to reduce airflow could cause an issue.

I have seen some front plastic inner fenders deform on some of the 2500/3500 GM trucks I have worked on and only on the passenger side since that’s where the Downpipe is. In the rear they don’t put any liner on the beds cause of how hot it gets back there. I’m sure you’re right tho that maybe adding skids or whatever to reduce airflow could cause an issue.
😩😩
I was just looking at a 2500hd. This isn’t comforting.

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Damn, that's a bummer. Can't say I have any issues with mine on Moby. Couldn't find a place to mount it on the Gladiator or 392 but now I see it may not have worked anyway.
I fabbed a bracket out of sheet metal and mounted mine between the passenger fender and fuse box on my 2023 392.

Attachments

• IMG_6665.jpeg
    IMG_6665.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom