MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

jgraz

Revolution may be assuming you have an aftermarket locker. I know ARB recommends a thicker oil in colder climates for their lockers. Maybe contact Revolution and ask them why they recommend this. Or maybe Exodus Jeeps here on the forum will have a good answer, I know they do a lot of gear/axle work.

I was going to call them anyway. I'll report my findings

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to drag out an only comment. I was just preparing to do all the fluid changes this weekend for my first time, they have been done before.
I went with revolution gears and recently came across the same suggestion about Dino vs Synthetic. I also noticed that they recommend 85-140W for the diffs. Obviously that differs greatly from the 75W90 recommendation from Jeep. does anyone have any thoughts on this? Go with Revolutions suggested or stick with Jeep?

Is it safe to assume that you got a higher ratio with your new gears? If so, they will run hotter than OE gears and a heavier weight fluid IS what you would want to be running. What is recommended by Jeep is for factory gear ratio.

jgraz

Is it safe to assume that you got a higher ratio with your new gears? If so, they will run hotter than OE gears and a heavier weight fluid IS what you would want to be running. What is recommended by Jeep is for factory gear ratio.

Yeah I went from 3.21 to 4.56
I just clarified with the install shop and was waiting to CA woke up and went to work to check with Revolution. Install shop recommended the same as Revolution. I'll stick with that.

BTW, great maintenance write-ups.... all of them

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

So if I used 75/90, I’ll be fine, but maybe keep an eye on it, until the next change? 4.10 to 4.88.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if I used 75/90, I’ll be fine, but maybe keep an eye on it, until the next change? 4.10 to 4.88.

You'll be fine and I wouldn't even bother changing it up front. The rear is where it's nice to run a heavier weight fluid but really for 5.13 or 5.38. That's when things really heat up.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Sessoms14X

I recently had my gears changed from 4.10 to 4.88 and I'm already having pinion seal issues. I'm running the same gear oil when I was running 4.10 (80w-90). It's not leaving puddles anywhere but as you can see from the pictures that it is coming out just a little.
20171112_122624.jpg 20171112_122535.jpg

I was told 80w-90 would be fine but Revolution recommended 85-140w non synthetic. Would switching gear oil help with the leaking or are my pinion seals already trashed?

Also I should note that I do have a slight pulsating vibration in my driveline @ around 50+mph after I regeared. I will be installing my rear Adams 1350 rear ds soon. Should I change out the pinion seals while I'm at it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I recently had my gears changed from 4.10 to 4.88 and I'm already having pinion seal issues. I'm running the same gear oil when I was running 4.10 (80w-90). It's not leaving puddles anywhere but as you can see from the pictures that it is coming out just a little.
View attachment 283431 View attachment 283432

I was told 80w-90 would be fine but Revolution recommended 85-140w non synthetic. Would switching gear oil help with the leaking or are my pinion seals already trashed?

Also I should note that I do have a slight pulsating vibration in my driveline @ around 50+mph after I regeared. I will be installing my rear Adams 1350 rear ds soon. Should I change out the pinion seals while I'm at it?

Have you tried cleaning it up and seeing if it reappears? Mine looked like that after my regear and after cleaning it didn't come back. Assumed it leaked when they pulled the shaft. Also,are you sure it's your driveshaft causing the vibs? I had the same thing after my regear and it turned out to be my tires. I realize there are a ton of things that may cause it but wanted to share my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sessoms14X

Have you tried cleaning it up and seeing if it reappears? Mine looked like that after my regear and after cleaning it didn't come back. Assumed it leaked when they pulled the shaft. Also,are you sure it's your driveshaft causing the vibs? I had the same thing after my regear and it turned out to be my tires. I realize there are a ton of things that may cause it but wanted to share my experience.

For the rear I'll wipe it about every few days and after driving back from work I'll notice a bead of oil starting to streak back again. I check the fluid level often and it is fine each time I check. I've only had to add a couple ounces one time and that was about a month ago (I'm at about 2500 miles after regear). Trail Jeeps did mention that it could just be the tires as well. I just don't want to go through changing out the seals while I install the DS if I don't need to.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
For the rear I'll wipe it about every few days and after driving back from work I'll notice a bead of oil starting to streak back again. I check the fluid level often and it is fine each time I check. I've only had to add a couple ounces one time and that was about a month ago (I'm at about 2500 miles after regear). Trail Jeeps did mention that it could just be the tires as well. I just don't want to go through changing out the seals while I install the DS if I don't need to.

Did the installer warranty his work? I'd let him take a look before buying anything.

Sessoms14X

View attachment 283431 View attachment 283432

Anyone else got some advise on this as far as the pinion seals?

Sessoms14X

Did you call the shop and tell them? Maybe they can troubleshoot it with you. Could be a bad seal or forgot to use RTV. They used new install kits and didn't reuse anything?

Yes, new install kits were installed. It's getting colder here in Iowa and I'm noticing less fluid seaking out and it's just making me wonder if the 80w-90 isn't thick enough of a fluid in warmer weather 🤔

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Yes, new install kits were installed. It's getting colder here in Iowa and I'm noticing less fluid seaking out and it's just making me wonder if the 80w-90 isn't thick enough of a fluid in warmer weather 🤔

Try the thicker oil, cheapest option by far at this point. I also read somewhere that it might be excess grease the installer may have used but I'm sure you could tell that by examining it if that's your case.

Sessoms14X

Try the thicker oil, cheapest option by far at this point. I also read somewhere that it might be excess grease the installer may have used but I'm sure you could tell that by examining it if that's your case.

Ok, I'm gonna be tackling the driveshaft here in a couple weeks so I'll see about adding the recommended oil that Revolution says to use and see how that all turns out. If it still leaks then I'll just install a new seal. Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated! 🤙

WJCO

Meme King
Ok, I'm gonna be tackling the driveshaft here in a couple weeks so I'll see about adding the recommended oil that Revolution says to use and see how that all turns out. If it still leaks then I'll just install a new seal. Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated! 🤙

If they just worked on it, it's a part failure or workmanship issue. Has nothing to do with the fluid type, IMO. Just keep an eye on the fluid level if you don't want the hassle of having them pay to fix it.

Top Bottom