Mauser gets some EVO swag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Slowly getting them mounted. With any luck, I'll get everything wired up tomorrow.

1427242661481.jpg

Cut out ready for primer/paint:
1427242670970.jpg

1427242698679.jpg

Assembled ready for mounting:
1427242710306.jpg

Front left installed:
1427242732546.jpg

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Got the waist lights installed. I installed them tucked up under/behind the pinch seam pointing at an angle towards its associated wheel. Since these lights are more of a "spot" pattern, I figure having them shoot at the wheel at a good angle will help throw light. We'll see how they look powered up later this week! :)

Passenger side facing forward:
1427249708030.jpg

Driver's side facing aft:
1427249747509.jpg

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Clever idea in the waist lights. I couldn't solve that problem but you did. I might have to borrow this...

Thanks. My only concern with the location is rocks getting thrown up at the two forward facing waist lights. The lenses appear to be glass, so I'm thinking they will be alright as long as they don't take a direct hit from a large rock while at speed.

07JKSahara

Thanks. My only concern with the location is rocks getting thrown up at the two forward facing waist lights. The lenses appear to be glass, so I'm thinking they will be alright as long as they don't take a direct hit from a large rock while at speed.

For the cost, a large rock at speed... Rock lights are probably the least concerning. Looks good.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Got the rear lights mounted up this evening. Hoping to have everything wired up tomorrow. :)

Passenger side just forward of the shock mount:
1427333881055.jpg

Sessoms14X

Hey bud I was wondering if you could give me some help with the aev tire carrier. It's been rattling over bumps in the last few days so I took the tire off and tightened some bolts to see if any weren't snug. The bolt that goes on the back to secure the tire on wasn't tight 1427416954828.jpg so I tightened that down and had my dad drive me around as I sat in the back to see if that was the problem. Didn't seem like it was. Then I narrowed the noise down to the spindle housing. 1427417325567.jpg seems that it is moving up and down over bumps. So I was wondering how many washers do you have in the bolt to pinch the spindle down and if yours rattles at all?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Hey bud I was wondering if you could give me some help with the aev tire carrier. It's been rattling over bumps in the last few days so I took the tire off and tightened some bolts to see if any weren't snug. The bolt that goes on the back to secure the tire on wasn't tight. So I tightened that down and had my dad drive me around as I sat in the back to see if that was the problem. Didn't seem like it was. Then I narrowed the noise down to the spindle housing. Seems that it is moving up and down over bumps. So I was wondering how many washers do you have in the bolt to pinch the spindle down and if yours rattles at all?

Haven't had to track down a rattle...yet...but I've got a few ideas. :)

When you say spindle housing, are you referring to the frame side spindle housing with the brass bushings? There should only be the one washer on the bottom followed by the bolt which gets tightened to about 40-50ft/lbs.

In terms of the washer stack on the adjustment buckle, I have 5 washers under the joint and 4 above.

Have you looked at your turnbuckle adjustment? The horizontal carrier tube should begin making contact with the saddle block about 4-6" prior to the tailgate reaching fully closed. The last couple of inches of closing movement should have a bit of resistance as the tube "seats" into the block.

Also, check the alignment of the saddle block vertically as compared to the horizontal spindle tube. I like to run the centerline of the block just slightly (1/16-1/8") above the centerline of the tube. Since I'm running 37s on slabs, there is just a bit of droop in the carrier due to the heavy weight of that combo. Having the block slightly high allows the spindle to get "picked up" by the saddle block.

Hopefully this helps and I can easily snap a few pictures if that would be helpful.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Got the rock lights wired up this afternoon! Ended up using 10 of the 12 lights with the intention of keeping two on the shelf as spares. Good thing I kept two off the Jeep because one light ran for about 10min and then called it quits. Doh!

The burned out light is the one in front of the passenger rear tire.

1427428616968.jpg

1427428633704.jpg

1427428651385.jpg

1427428742712.jpg

07JKSahara

Rocks lights look awesome. I like it. I also had one that didn't work, so spares are a good idea. I have a few of you ever need them.

Sessoms14X

Haven't had to track down a rattle...yet...but I've got a few ideas. :)

When you say spindle housing, are you referring to the frame side spindle housing with the brass bushings? There should only be the one washer on the bottom followed by the bolt which gets tightened to about 40-50ft/lbs.

In terms of the washer stack on the adjustment buckle, I have 5 washers under the joint and 4 above.

Have you looked at your turnbuckle adjustment? The horizontal carrier tube should begin making contact with the saddle block about 4-6" prior to the tailgate reaching fully closed. The last couple of inches of closing movement should have a bit of resistance as the tube "seats" into the block.

Also, check the alignment of the saddle block vertically as compared to the horizontal spindle tube. I like to run the centerline of the block just slightly (1/16-1/8") above the centerline of the tube. Since I'm running 37s on slabs, there is just a bit of droop in the carrier due to the heavy weight of that combo. Having the block slightly high allows the spindle to get "picked up" by the saddle block.

Hopefully this helps and I can easily snap a few pictures if that would be helpful.

Ha yes I mean the adjustment buckle , my bad, not the spindle housing 1427461262067.jpg
This is where I believe the noise is coming from. Here's the washers that I have put in. 1427461323049.jpg I do not have them set up the same you do, I'll have to take it apart and put that amount in to see.

Seems when I hit bumps the buckle is knocking against the washers as it twists.

I've also noticed that the tailgate doesn't have a tight fit just before closing it anymore. I've already had to disassemble it all due to the rubber seals breaking (I forgot to grease them before I put them in). Here's a picture of how much the tailgate is open before the horizontal bar makes contact with the saddle bar 1427461709649.jpg but there isn't that tightness like there should be. Think this could be due to the adjustment buckle as well?

After my 35s wear out I will be putting slabs and 37 mud grapplers on so I'll take all the knowledge I can get lol.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Ha yes I mean the adjustment buckle , my bad, not the spindle housing View attachment 133588
This is where I believe the noise is coming from. Here's the washers that I have put in. View attachment 133589 I do not have them set up the same you do, I'll have to take it apart and put that amount in to see.

Seems when I hit bumps the buckle is knocking against the washers as it twists.

I've also noticed that the tailgate doesn't have a tight fit just before closing it anymore. I've already had to disassemble it all due to the rubber seals breaking (I forgot to grease them before I put them in). Here's a picture of how much the tailgate is open before the horizontal bar makes contact with the saddle bar View attachment 133591 but there isn't that tightness like there should be. Think this could be due to the adjustment buckle as well?

After my 35s wear out I will be putting slabs and 37 mud grapplers on so I'll take all the knowledge I can get lol.

For comparison, here is what my washer stack looks like:
1427469665449.jpg

Ours look pretty much the same and I would think that as long as the through bolt is tight, that shouldn't be the source of your rattle.

Here is what the vertical alignment of the saddle block looks like:
1427469716791.jpg

Where I notice a big difference is the resistance point. Mine makes contact with the saddle block and starts seeing resistance about 5" before the gate is closed.
1427469802855.jpg

I would start with snugging up your turnbuckle a bit. Secondly, how snug is your tire to the carrier? You mentioned that the horizontal bolt into the tire flange was lose. You should first use that bolt to pull the tire onto the carrier and the tire should be compressed about 1/8-1/4". Next, pull the tire off and tighten the anti-vibration bolt. This should prevent any rattling or loosening of the tire flange.

Hope this helps! If any additional pictures would be helpful, just let me know! :)

Sessoms14X

Ok thanks for the help
I'm at work now but when I get home I'm going to work on it and see what I can find out. Yours gets snug against the saddle block way before mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom