Method Wheels

gotravisgo

Method is having a sale. What are your thoughts on their bead grip technology? I’m looking at either the 106s or 108s.

jeeeep

Hooked
Method is having a sale. What are your thoughts on their bead grip technology? I’m looking at either the 106s or 108s.
Bead grip or beadlock? the models you mention are beadlock.

I have a set of the Method M701 bead grip that were on the JLU, they worked and allowed me to air down to around 15psi with no noticeable wheel/tire spin but, if playing in the rocks and you catch the side of the rim it's like any other standard wheel.
I wouldn't recommend street driving with that low of pressure but for slow crawling on the trail, they seem to have worked as advertised.

I pulled them off because the titanium color was too green, went to a machined wheel but pulled them off after catching a rock and bending the rim lip, didn't loose any air but a good reminder of why beadlocks are better so... the JLU got a set of beadlocks.

gotravisgo

Bead grip or beadlock? the models you mention are beadlock.

I have a set of the Method M701 bead grip that were on the JLU, they worked and allowed me to air down to around 15psi with no noticeable wheel/tire spin but, if playing in the rocks and you catch the side of the rim it's like any other standard wheel.
I wouldn't recommend street driving with that low of pressure but for slow crawling on the trail, they seem to have worked as advertised.

I pulled them off because the titanium color was too green, went to a machined wheel but pulled them off after catching a rock and bending the rim lip, didn't loose any air but a good reminder of why beadlocks are better so... the JLU got a set of beadlocks.
The 108 has bead grin on the inside and beadlock on the outside.

Lost In The Woods

Caught the Bug
I can't really know about the beadlock, but I do have the bead grip. For me, the bead grip has worked great. I don't really do hard core off roading, but I've had them aired down to single digits for snow wheeling without any problems. I have talked to others who have aired down to 10 or 12 psi on the trail without any problems.

Last edited:

jamesrw30

The bead grips are on my list one day. I like the look of them and also the little bit of extra they offer. I will not be doing enough hard core wheeling to need bead locks.

I like beadlocks because I can change my tires myself. Don’t know if you can with beadgrips…

Also what’s the price difference? Seems like going full beadlock would be worth it. Why go halfway?
Also this.

Bead grips are an absolute pain to change, even with the necessary machinery. Nearly impossible to break the bead! While their technology is proven to be more secure than a standard lip and they’re definitely more affordable, they still don’t hold a candle to the security of a beadlock. If it were me, I’d save up for a beadlock set and to buy once, cry once.

But as in my original statement, still a great wheel and it depends on the wheeling you plan to do and how much you want to spend. But I’d go as far as saying a beadlock is still BETTER in every situation since you can air down lower for maximum comfort and the widest footprint.

Also this.

Bead grips are an absolute pain to change, even with the necessary machinery. Nearly impossible to break the bead! While their technology is proven to be more secure than a standard lip and they’re definitely more affordable, they still don’t hold a candle to the security of a beadlock. If it were me, I’d save up for a beadlock set and to buy once, cry once.

But as in my original statement, still a great wheel and it depends on the wheeling you plan to do and how much you want to spend. But I’d go as far as saying a beadlock is still BETTER in every situation since you can air down lower for maximum comfort and the widest footprint.
Beadlock is not better if you need to get your tire replaced by a random shop while away from home.

They'd only have to only mount one bead... super easy. Just more time consuming to torque all the bolts on the ring that goes over the outer bead.
But most shops won't do it. Most beadlocks are not DOT approved (i.e are technically illegal if used on the street), which is likely a factor. There is increased liability if something bad happens.

But most shops won't do it. Most beadlocks are not DOT approved (i.e are technically illegal if used on the street), which is likely a factor. There is increased liability if something bad happens.
I'm sure if you were really in a pinch they'd do it. Worst case scenario have them mount one side and you torque up the ring and mount the wheel in the parking lot.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a set of MR704 Titanium, when I bought them they didn't have the other models and finishes.

Against my blue JLU paint, they looked to greenish, removed them for a set of MR315 machine clear coat, not bead grip, bead lock look (fake) but the lip was pretty weak and damaged one against a rock... Now I have 2 - 5 sets wheels, any interest? going to post up pics this week in the for sale forum

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm sure if you were really in a pinch they'd do it. Worst case scenario have them mount one side and you torque up the ring and mount the wheel in the parking lot.
Discount tire has helped me out with dismount, I took the rings off and they pulled the tires off - of course I told them if any damage to the rims I would not hold them liable and I'm pretty sure it helped that I've been a customer for... damn, over 30 years with all our tire purchases at the same location.

GP NOIR

Hooked
There are pros & cons to everything. Changing a tire on a bead grip wouldn’t be a problem for me because I have all my tires mounted at a tire shop. Discount Tire unless something happens where there’s no Discount Tire. However, I run pressures as low as 6 psi. I don’t know if bead grips will hold that low.

Bead locks are heavier and if you need a tire replaced where the shops won’t touch them, you gotta do the work yourself. I’m not as young as I used to be. Bead lock rings can trap dirt and moisture. The upside is, bead locks keep a death grip on the tire beads. When the rings get heavily scarred by the rocks, they can be replaced.

The Icon Rebound Pro bead lock meets DOT standards and weighs only 29 lbs. The Rebounds are at the lower end of cost for bead locks. Downside is it has no beauty ring that can be replaced when scuffed.

Pick your poison.

Last edited:
I have a set of MR704 Titanium, when I bought them they didn't have the other models and finishes.

Against my blue JLU paint, they looked to greenish, removed them for a set of MR315 machine clear coat, not bead grip, bead lock look (fake) but the lip was pretty weak and damaged one against a rock... Now I have 2 - 5 sets wheels, any interest? going to post up pics this week in the for sale forum
Definitely show me everything you got!!! Lol, looking for something to hold me over until I get 37s and a front axle 😂

@gotravisgo , if you’re thinking of getting method beadlocks, see if you can upgrade to the thicker rings.

My rings on my 105s have deflected pretty bad over the years. They still work, but I don’t love it.

If I have the coin next time I throw new tires on, I will buy the thicker rings.

Top Bottom