Mistakes Were Made (MT/R Kevlar)

Yeah my km2s are remarkable everyone else in my club run duratrac, Stt, or mtrs and they can't keep up.

You are correct. BFG makes the KM2s, not Goodyear. I apologize for the brain fart.

Ok, no worries. A lot of my work vehicles in the past had Goodyear's on them and I didn't care for them. I was worried that Goodyear soaked up BFG. I love my KM2's, but I guess most anything would be better on the trail than the SRA's.

I am not defending the MTRs, I don't think this should have to be done for new tires but if you want a cheaper fix than buying new tires, find a tire shop that will shave and true the tires. Not all shops can do it (most can't) and will steer you different because they can't. I have 37" MTRs that were awful new. I bought them and had them balanced twice before finding a shop to shave them. Since they have been shaved they are smooth as butter and for $20/tire. I'm not saying buy MTRs and do this - but if you already have the tires, this will fix them for $20/tire(at least in Atlanta)

MTR%20Shaving.jpg

I am not defending the MTRs, I don't think this should have to be done for new tires but if you want a cheaper fix than buying new tires, find a tire shop that will shave and true the tires. Not all shops can do it (most can't) and will steer you different because they can't. I have 37" MTRs that were awful new. I bought them and had them balanced twice before finding a shop to shave them. Since they have been shaved they are smooth as butter and for $20/tire. I'm not saying buy MTRs and do this - but if you already have the tires, this will fix them for $20/tire(at least in Atlanta)

MTR%20Shaving.jpg

I've got to say, at this point I'd take $20 of gasoline per tire and set a match to my 37" MT/R's and roast hotdogs over these damned things. I'm certain of it, I hate them.

I just had the same issue. My problems didn't start until around 21k. I thought I was doing everything right, rotate all 5 every 3000 miles, no problems until 21k. Took them in to get road force balanced and only had 1 tire that they could balance. Tire shop shaved the tires and trued them up to the wheels. Much better but still get a shimmy and DW once in awhile. I have some other issues with a bent axel housing but for the most part I'm sure the tires are the biggest problem. Tire shop agreed that MTR/Ks do not hold up well also recommended a rotation rate of 1000 miles or less, and a lower air pressure ( below 30 psi). Right now I am saving for a new PR44 and it's looking like I will need a set of Nitto 37s. I am so happy that I fell in love with the jeeping lifestyle, if not I just wouldn't know what to do with my spare change!! As far as the shaving goes I'm pretty sure I just lost at least 5000 miles off the tread life so not only do you pay a premium price they continue to keep costing you money. If this was just a purely off road vehicle and not a DD, Fine, they would be great.

Last edited:
I've got to say, at this point I'd take $20 of gasoline per tire and set a match to my 37" MT/R's and roast hotdogs over these damned things. I'm certain of it, I hate them.

I'd be happy to give you $100 and a gift card for some hotdogs :)

If this was just a purely off road vehicle and not a DD, Fine, they would be great.

I would agree with this. I would never buy these or many of the other mud tires for a DD. Mine is a 2nd vehicle weekender and trail/rock rig. My next tires will be a set of red labels and a set of trail grapplers for the street most likely.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to give you $100 and a gift card for some hotdogs :)

I would agree with this. I would never buy these or many of the other mud tires for a DD. Mine is a 2nd vehicle weekender and trail/rock rig. My next tires will be a set of red labels and a set of trail grapplers for the street most likely.

I run Toyo MT's on the wife's Tacoma, no issues. My Willys is running MTZ's, no worries. But the Goodyears, forgeddaboutit.

My 35" MTRs will need replacing next year though I may get something else this Fall. At first I though it would be the Toyo MTs but the weight and E rating made me think twice. The KM2s are another (lighter) option even though my original KMs were the worst on packed snow. I do have DuraTracs on my Toyota but in size 17", they come in a 2-ply-rated sidewall. I am sure I will agonize over this for a while but will look into the Nittos and Toyos again. They are quite a bit heavier but do they ride a lot stiffer than the MTRs. I'll also look for a shop here that does this shaving business, even though it seems like it is contrary to a smooth ride if the tread is even-depth all the way around. The shaving probably balances it out well.

Nice! I like the color of your Jeep. Do post back on PSI, noise, and ride comparisons. I am probably not going to go to a significantly heavier tire till I regear (stock 4.10s now) but the lighter ones are options. I run my MTRs between 26-29 now, depending on the load, if we are going on a trip, etc. I find them a bit too harsh after 29 PSI but my JK is pretty light compared to how some others here have theirs set up.

Nice! I like the color of your Jeep. Do post back on PSI, noise, and ride comparisons. I am probably not going to go to a significantly heavier tire till I regear (stock 4.10s now) but the lighter ones are options. I run my MTRs between 26-29 now, depending on the load, if we are going on a trip, etc. I find them a bit too harsh after 29 PSI but my JK is pretty light compared to how some others here have theirs set up.

Thanks! The color is Copperhead, only made in 2014. The ride comfort of the Nitto Trail Grapplers is astoundingly better than the MT/R's. Just a night and day difference. I had the shop fill them to 28 psi to start with. I'll do the chalk test and adjust accordingly.

Yeah, I remember the color now. I see it here in Colorado every now and then, but not often. Based on your feedback, the Nittos may jump to the top of the list for me. I hear the MTRs balance a lot better now but a change is always good and these look good and people here like them.

I have been calling around on a regear. The go-to shop here (High Country 4x4) does good work but they quoted $2,400 or so. I'll need a regear to at least 4.56 if I use the Nittos around here. As it is, the loaded JK struggles up the high passes with the 4.10s and light MTRs.

Top Bottom