Months Long Part Supply Issue

bill9000

Howdy, I've been having an issue, '16 JK started leaking oil - and I found it to be the plastic oil filter housing/cooler (the worst design in the history of vehicles, having that be plastic, but anyway) - replaced it with an aluminum one, but in the process, broke a retaining clip on the fuel feed line and have been waiting 8 months on backorder to get one, apparently there is no aftermarket part and every dealer in the country is out of stock and has been for 8 months now. at this point, not sure what to do since this is a daily driver, and being down for 8 months just doesn't work.

Now, in trying to follow up on my backorder # - it is showing as 'discontinued' - but that can't be since this is a required part for the vehicle to run of course and htere are no aftermarket.

Does anyone have any insight on this situation, this part, and why it is impossible to get this simple thing?

OEM part # is: 68141849AD

and when googling, there's a few places specifically mopar dealers that show 'in stock' but when I call, they say "no its out of stock and backordered"

I ended up placing order here months ago, because it showed in stock, but apparently its not.

And if it really is impossible to get, then how can I proceed?
time for LS swap? LOL - half joking, don't have time for that now, but really need some help here!

thanks!

That really sucks to hear. Have you tried looking at junk yards? I have found parts like this in the past through car-part.com.

That really sucks to hear. Have you tried looking at junk yards? I have found parts like this in the past through car-part.com.
I didn't, because m understanding is that the plastic clip end of it is a one time use clip, so once its installed, it cant be removed and put back. (which also sounds kind of odd, but after seeing the issue with the plastic oil filter housing, I wouldn't be terribly shocked)

Or maybe you can get the retaining clip from one of these on Amazon?

Fuel Line Quick Connector 3/8" Bundy Female to Barb 90 Degree Adapters Fit for 3/8 Steel to 5/16" ID Nylon Tubing, Pack of 2

Or maybe you can get the retaining clip from one of these on Amazon?

Fuel Line Quick Connector 3/8" Bundy Female to Barb 90 Degree Adapters Fit for 3/8 Steel to 5/16" ID Nylon Tubing, Pack of 2

I'm thinking that something along the lines of that might end up being necessary, cutting it off and doing my own hose, but I really wanted to not hack that up too much since fuel is a fire hazard obviously, but yea I think your direction there might become necessary if nobody can shed some light on why this essential part just can't be had.

And with as many of these engines that are on the road, the lack of being able to getthat is unfathomable. especially since there's no aftermarket version.

I'm thinking that something along the lines of that might end up being necessary, cutting it off and doing my own hose, but I really wanted to not hack that up too much since fuel is a fire hazard obviously, but yea I think your direction there might become necessary if nobody can shed some light on why this essential part just can't be had.

And with as many of these engines that are on the road, the lack of being able to getthat is unfathomable. especially since there's no aftermarket version.
I agree with you. If you can't repair it right, it's not worth risking a hack that might result in a fire. Just crazy with supply chain issues these days. So dumb! Hopefully Eddie's suggestion of a junk yard pans out for you.

I agree with you. If you can't repair it right, it's not worth risking a hack that might result in a fire. Just crazy with supply chain issues these days. So dumb! Hopefully Eddie's suggestion of a junk yard pans out for you.
totally, my understanding is you can't junkyard that part because its a one-time install end on the hose.

Can you post a picture of the part that's broken?
yes I'll take a pic when I get home. in short, its actually my fault because this line didn't need to be taken off to change the oil filter housing, but I started to take it off, broke the plastic clip, and then realized I didn't need to take it off at all. Then I thought that it'd just be a 29c plastic clip... which is when I found that its part of the hose and the hose need be replaced, then found out this whole supply issue and that it can't be had.

But the way this is, if anyone at any shop anywhere had to pull an engine or something, they can't put it back, and vehicle is just down until this gets resolved who knows how many years later? it's insane!

Spoke with the dealer I ordered the part from again, another extended month backorder... (no end in sight they say) could be a year or more. So I really do need to think about alternative options. (LS Swap being one, I wanted to do that anyway but lost of $) - but I'm all ears if anyone has an easier, solution to get on the road sooner, and safely of course since it is fuel.

I have something that has worked in the past. But with them downsizing the dealer pool they've made it more difficult.

Look for dealerships in BumFuckNowhere'sVille. They won't have a website for parts dept, barely have a sales presence on the web.

CALL them with the part number you are looking for. Sometimes you strike gold and get "Yup, got one on the shelf, been here forever".

You might have to drive a couple or three hours, but if it's a got to have part, it's worth it.

Are you just talking about the little retainer piece is broken? Not the whole fitting, correct?

IMG_0174.jpeg

I believe I completely removed mine and then re-installed it. Should be able to use it more than one time. Can you elaborate on why it shouldn’t be re-used from a junk yard take-off?

Are you just talking about the little retainer piece is broken? Not the whole fitting, correct?

View attachment 391557

I believe I completely removed mine and then re-installed it. Should be able to use it more than one time. Can you elaborate on why it shouldn’t be re-used from a junk yard take-off?
yes, I will take a pic when I get home and circle it, but one side of the plastic retainer clip is snapped - the line was not actually removed. I just dont know if it will leak fuel if I left it as is.

I have something that has worked in the past. But with them downsizing the dealer pool they've made it more difficult.

Look for dealerships in BumFuckNowhere'sVille. They won't have a website for parts dept, barely have a sales presence on the web.

CALL them with the part number you are looking for. Sometimes you strike gold and get "Yup, got one on the shelf, been here forever".

You might have to drive a couple or three hours, but if it's a got to have part, it's worth it.
that is a pretty darn good idea with some legwork, it's worth a look! thank you.

that is a pretty darn good idea with some legwork, it's worth a look! thank you.
These type of places have a parts guy named Gus or Vern or Red. He won't look your part up on a computer, he'll use an old microfiche sheet on a viewer and an optic he moves by hand. Used to have one of these in Knightstown, Indiana. Sadly they closed several years ago due to lack of gross vehicle sales.

These type of places have a parts guy named Gus or Vern or Red. He won't look your part up on a computer, he'll use an old microfiche sheet on a viewer and an optic he moves by hand. Used to have one of these in Knightstown, Indiana. Sadly they closed several years ago due to lack of gross vehicle sales.
haha true. for what its worth, the dealers claim that all dealers share the same parts network, and any one dealer is capable of seeing if any dealer in the country has, and they said nobody does and there's over 1,030 back orders for it. (take that for what its worth, but thats what the dealer said)

Top Bottom