Most Common Broken Parts

DirtyJeeP

I'm trying to get a small inventory of parts to have when wheeling. What are the most common parts that break when wheeling.

JKBANDIT55

As far as major breaks go, from my experience from the trips I been on, Drive shafts seem to be most common along with ring and pinon (teeth ripping). I have only seen one bent axle, and axle shaft. And all these happened on the harder trails where its common. But most of the moderate and easy trails Ive done, I rarely see anything broken, so I dont usually take parts with me on those trips.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to get a small inventory of parts to have when wheeling. What are the most common parts that break when wheeling.

Depends on how big your Jeep is, what parts it's running, the kind of trails you play on and how often. For what I see in your profile, I would bet you would see a front axle shafts break due to a u-joint cap falling out.

Plastic bushing on the ends of the transfer case cable.

Yeah, I've seen a few of these over the years but, it's really not that common and nothing that'll leave you high and dry. You can still get under your Jeep and manually shift it out of 4WD.

As far as major breaks go, from my experience from the trips I been on, Drive shafts seem to be most common along with ring and pinon (teeth ripping). I have only seen one bent axle, and axle shaft. And all these happened on the harder trails where its common. But most of the moderate and easy trails Ive done, I rarely see anything broken, so I dont usually take parts with me on those trips.

Really? Honestly, I can't say that I've seen enough drive shaft failures to say that they are a "common" trail break. Likewise, I haven't seen enough r&p breaks to say that either. Now, this is not to say that I haven't seen any or that they haven't happend to me but, I, the Jeeps I drive and the trails I play on are anything but common.

JKBANDIT55

Really? Honestly, I can't say that I've seen enough drive shaft failures to say that they are a "common" trail break. Likewise, I haven't seen enough r&p breaks to say that either. Now, this is not to say that I haven't seen any or that they haven't happend to me but, I, the Jeeps I drive and the trails I play on are anything but common.

Oh ya man, You go to the Colorado thread on JKF and you'll see what I am talking about. Theres like 3 pages on this trip in there.LOL We had a run last summer where two JKs both snapped their drive shafts on the same rock climb. It was steep and slick, The first guy was giving it wayyy to much gas, started bouncing and spinning tires and snap went his drive shaft. The 2nd guy pretty much did the same thing. The rest of us either winched up it or took the easier less steep side of the climb. Another drive shaft broke when snow wheeling, the guy was in front of me and gunned it up a steep hill that needed momentum, he hit a dry spot, or rock and boom. He was done.

The teeth on the ring and pinion I seen rip twice. But they were both running 37s. Im not sure if they had the right gears to run them or not.

The only reason I say they are common is because there really the only breaks I've seen during my wheeling adventures. But all these breaks were because of careless driving and could have been prevented. Also, it was for me anyway a tuff trail that most of the jeeps on that trip could have broken something, we really shouldnt have been running it anyway but it was a last minute decision after doing an easier trail in the area.

After seeing those breaks, Iv'e yet to go on a trail my jeep isn't ready for again. Thank god I didn't let my dare devil side out and try to show off like others. But hey it happens

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh ya man, You go to the Colorado thread on JKF and you'll see what I am talking about. Theres like 3 pages on this trip in there.LOL We had a run last summer where two JKs both snapped their drive shafts on the same rock climb. It was steep and slick, The first guy was giving it wayyy to much gas, started bouncing and spinning tires and snap went his drive shaft. The 2nd guy pretty much did the same thing. The rest of us either winched up it or took the easier less steep side of the climb. Another drive shaft broke when snow wheeling, the guy was in front of me and gunned it up a steep hill that needed momentum, he hit a dry spot, or rock and boom. He was done.

The teeth on the ring and pinion I seen rip twice. But they were both running 37s. Im not sure if they had the right gears to run them or not.

The only reason I say they are common is because there really the only breaks I've seen during my wheeling adventures. But all these breaks were because of careless driving and could have been prevented. Also, it was for me anyway a tuff trail that most of the jeeps on that trip could have broken something, we really shouldnt have been running it anyway but it was a last minute decision after doing an easier trail in the area.

After seeing those breaks, Iv'e yet to go on a trail my jeep isn't ready for again. Thank god I didn't let my dare devil side out and try to show off like others. But hey it happens

Okay, I'm glad you qualified that because it seems to me that the breaks you saw were caused by inexperience or carelessness and could definitely have been prevented. Needless to say, they are far from "common" or, at least in my book.

JKBANDIT55

Okay, I'm glad you qualified that because it seems to me that the breaks you saw were caused by inexperience or carelessness and could definitely have been prevented. Needless to say, they are far from "common" or, at least in my book.

Yup, It was bad, but i can honestly say, they learned from their mistakes. Gotta start somewhere:doh:

DirtyJeeP

Good info thanks guys. I don't see myself carrying a drive shift with me, but will have some u joints and straps.

What are some of the parts you guys would carry on your normal runs?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good info thanks guys. I don't see myself carrying a drive shift with me, but will have some u joints and straps.

What are some of the parts you guys would carry on your normal runs?

On a normal run, I just carry the tools I need to get me back off the trail. Perhaps the only spare part I carry is a sector shaft as there's no trail fix for a broken one of those.

TheDuff

at what tire/lft size does the sector shaft become an issue? are there any signs one may be getting weak? Ive noticed a lot more steering play since i moved to just 33's. I cant find any thing loose and no death wobble. just a lot of play in the wheel. any guesses?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
at what tire/lft size does the sector shaft become an issue? are there any signs one may be getting weak? Ive noticed a lot more steering play since i moved to just 33's. I cant find any thing loose and no death wobble. just a lot of play in the wheel. any guesses?

You can break a sector shaft at any tire size. You just need to be driving fast and hit just one of your front tires on something solid like a rock or tree stump. The bigger the tire, the more stress you'll put on your sector shaft in general and the greater the chances you'll have of breaking it.

Regarding the play you have in your steering wheel, is it in the column or in the actual turning - as in, you turn it to the left and nothing happens for a quarter turn.

TheDuff

You can break a sector shaft at any tire size. You just need to be driving fast and hit just one of your front tires on something solid like a rock or tree stump. The bigger the tire, the more stress you'll put on your sector shaft in general and the greater the chances you'll have of breaking it.

Regarding the play you have in your steering wheel, is it in the column or in the actual turning - as in, you turn it to the left and nothing happens for a quarter turn.

seems like it is before the draglink. its like I turn the wheel a lil and nothing happens. so when I"m on the highway I get a lot more wondering sensation and keep having to correct the wheel. kinda seems like the postition the wheel is in to travel straight is never the same, always off a lil. when I got my alignment done a couple weeks ago the guy mentioned how hard it was to center the steering wheel. I had noticed some play before, but became more noticiable since last week when I got the 33's

Last edited:

TheDuff

well, concerning the sector shaft, what is recommended to help minimize the failure? since this was the first I've heard of it, I did a quick google search, I see a lot of brace kits and threads concerning bearing failures.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
seems like it is before the draglink. its like I turn the wheel a lil and nothing happens. so when I"m on the highway I get a lot more wondering sensation and keep having to correct the wheel. kinda seems like the postition the wheel is in to travel straight is never the same, always off a lil. when I got my alignment done a couple weeks ago the guy mentioned how hard it was to center the steering wheel. I had noticed some play before, but became more noticiable since last week when I got the 33's

The most common problem for what you've just described is a loose pitman arm nut or, a sector shaft with sloppy tollerances in the splines. This is a common problem with dropped pitman arms.

TheDuff

The most common problem for what you've just described is a loose pitman arm nut or, a sector shaft with sloppy tollerances in the splines. This is a common problem with dropped pitman arms.

ok, I dont have a dropped pitman arm, thankfully. maybe Ill pull the track bar there and have the wife hold the wheel and see how much play I have there. if I do decide to just replace the shaft, anything else I should be doing while Im working there or tricks I should be aware of?

Top Bottom