My DIY Doors

USMC Wrangler

The weather broke so I could get the test drive in. The front driver's door and rear passenger door rattled on the road. I made some "adjustments" with some large channel locks to the latch portion that hits the striker. No more rattles! Done!

My three youngest insisted on going along...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433022429.505680.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433022466.341155.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433022493.020649.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433022554.260672.jpg

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

What did you end up doing for the slight movement with the latch?
I know this question is from a couple pages back and I sort of answered the question. What ended up working the best was a large set of channel locks and slightly bending the actual latch "housing" (maybe their is a more correct term for this :idontknow:). Both rattling latches required bending the housings towards the front of the Jeep. Here's a pic of the housing I'm talking about...

100_1094.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Page 3...

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

Initial mirror placement which didn't look good...

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

I cut up the original mounts and welded the tabs to the doors for a look I can live with...

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

Although the concept looked good, the limiting straps that I bought attached with Velcro. They were not going to hold the weight of these doors if opened quickly...

54.jpg

55.jpg

My paracord limiting straps I like much better...

56.jpg

Eugene the Jeep

Very nice work. You might want to think about making some to sell, they look better made then the Chinese one's that everyone else is selling. I have 11 pictures on my phone.

Jday14

Just read through the whole thing and all I gotta say is damn you got some serious skill man! Congrats on a job well done you did an amazing job!!

USMC Wrangler

Maybe it's just my phone but only a handful of pics are showing.
They showed for me on the app and browser. I posted them from a different computer so I imagine it may indeed be your phone. But I'm no techno genius either. :idontknow:

OP those came out good!! 

Thanks Rocky, I am pretty pleased with this first set.

Very nice work. You might want to think about making some to sell, they look better made then the Chinese one's that everyone else is selling. I have 11 pictures on my phone.

Eugene, thank you. I have considered making more now that the hard part is over. My concern would be that I truly custom fit these to my Jeep. I don't know if there are differences from year to year. I would love to try these on other JKU's and even JK's but I would have to have willing donors and live somewhere near civilization! When I installed the RH4x4 3rd row bar I found out the Chrysler "specs" can be off on the cage. I could be comparing apples and oranges. What I noticed on the mass produced doors is that they are mostly a simple design and they probably don't have tolerance issues. But then again, I'm a rookie at all this fab/design stuff.

Just read through the whole thing and all I gotta say is damn you got some serious skill man! Congrats on a job well done you did an amazing job!!

Wow! You read through all my ramblings?!?! Well, thank you for that and for your comments. :beer:

Top Bottom