My JK, My kids, the trails and the wrenching...

JK.AF.Mil

I'm not really sure where to post this... I've been lurking and posting quick replies on a few forums for years but I've never shared my lessons learned from my time in the garage or on the trails and I would like to do that. I've really been impressed with the "no drama" vibe here at Wayalife so I guess I this is where I'll plant my Jeepin roots and share my stories.
This isn't a complete build write up but it will have pictures from the trails with the kids and there might be some pictures from the driveway...
I guess I'll just cast the bread upon the water and see where the admins send it...
Anyway
The kids and I have enjoyed "Jeeping" together whether that means driving through streams, woods and hills OR working on the Jeep together. We've been lucky to fall in with the Mohawk Valley Mud Crawlers in the Rome, NY area. A great bunch of folks who have been mentors on the trail and in the garage. You just can't beat that!
I've been meaning to post these pictures as the adventures happen but you know how it is... life happens. This batch is from the installation of the aftermarket rock sliders on the side of the jeep.

So it all starts with the Teraflex Rock Slider install:

48 lbs of extruded aluminium awesomeness.jpg
48 pounds of extruded aluminum goodness.

Last edited:
Then there is the manchild...
at 8 years old he is already a good shot with his BB gun and .22 and he is a fair hand with a wrench. What's more he and his 4 year old sister love being under "Jack the Jeep" with Daddy. He's my boy!!!
His job was to help me remove the OEM Rubicon rock sliders.

IMG_20130613_161926_667.jpg

IMG_20130613_183054_158.jpg

Last edited:
My JK My kids the trails and the wrenching

Ok... we're gunna' drill into the brand new Jeep... "measure twice, drill once right?" You're sure about this right?
IMG_20130614_103242_328.jpg

IMG_20130614_155115_685.jpg

The blonds beauty there is my little girl Ella. 90 pounds of attitude packed into 25 pounds of little girl. She loves wheeling with daddy.

Last edited:
My JK My kids the trails and the wrenching

And its done.
As far as the technical aspects... I found TF's installation video was all I needed:

http://youtu.be/NBzrjjCPiJU

The only part that was harder than I expected was drilling up through the floor in the final bit of the installation. I was able to drill through the slider and the floor but lining up the bolt to be perpendicular to the slider through the floor didn't work out so well. I mean I managed to get the nut on the bolt and tighten it but it wasn't as accurate as I would have liked. So far... no complaints. They've already paid for themselves in the first time on the trails as I heard the scrape along the undercarriage.
- CJ

IMG_20130614_133538_346.jpg

My JK My Kids the trails and the wrenching

Jack in his current state.
I need to mount the winch I have sitting in my garage.
- CJIMG_20131114_134050_697.jpg

So I link up with some folks from the Club "Mud NY" in the Maine, NY area and accompany them on one of their trail rides... Nothing "extreme" just me testing out my new GoPro on some trails and streams.

Good times!

Somewhere in the hills and trees on Central New York state with "Mud, NY" Jeep Club.

JK, Kids, trails and wrenching

So that's it for now...
I've got some pictures and notes from the Teraflex 2.5" susp lift install and a few more days out on the trail. In my fantasy world I'd like to take GoPro's Studio software and mix it all into a slick video but... "ain't nobody got time for that!"
So I'll post my meager adventures here... but one day soon when I retire and have tons of free time on my hands THEN I'll give Eddy a run for his money with a really slick video...

Riiight. Who am I kidding?

Just one more video:

Top Bottom