Name That JEEP Part

Frydaddy

TPS for an I-6!

Heres a simple one. Many know where it is, some know what it does, less know what it is, but even less know how.
IMG_20170226_104900160.jpg

Last edited:

Frydaddy

Crash sensor or maybe an inertia switch of some type is my guess.
Close enough! It's a three axis accelerometer used in six different stability control systems on all JKs.

A popular mod is to splice a switch to one of those purple wires. This will disable most all of the automatic features that bother you when off-roading. Switch it back on when you get to pavement, and all is good.

It (like nearly everything else) communicates via can bus. The two purple wires are the transmit and receive wires. Cutting either wire will cause it to lose comms, some lights will go off, but no limp-mode. Just restart the engine to reconnect.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Close enough! It's a three axis accelerometer used in six different stability control systems on all JKs.

A popular mod is to splice a switch to one of those purple wires. This will disable most all of the automatic features that bother you when off-roading. Switch it back on when you get to pavement, and all is good.

It (like nearly everything else) communicates via can bus. The two purple wires are the transmit and receive wires. Cutting either wire will cause it to lose comms, some lights will go off, but no limp-mode. Just restart the engine to reconnect.

Is this the decelerometer or the devise that sets off the airbags too?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Is this the decelerometer or the devise that sets off the airbags too?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
(what's a decelerometer?) Neither, it's an accelerometer. The CAN bus is too slow for air bags, they use independent sensors, usually represented with yellow wires, or yellow shielding.

This sensor is purely stability control.
ABS - Anti-Lock Brake System - Prevents lock-up when braking
BAS - Brake Assist System - limits coasting
ESP - Electronic Stability Program - kills throttle when doing donuts
ERM - Electronic Roll Mitigation - stops you from flipping-it when doing donuts
TCS - Traction Control System - stops wheel-spin when doing donuts
I don't think it affects ABS as that is purely wheel speed.

WJCO

Meme King
Here's one. Yes they're washers, but where do they go and what do they do. The last picture is a hint.

IMG_20170814_153600_759.jpg

IMG_20170814_153530_500.jpg

Top Bottom