Need head unit suggestions

JakeJK

Fanboy? More like I've used every thing over the years and have a taste for what actually holds up. Kenwood internals fail all the time are you really telling me they dont? Please do explain to me why exactly they sell them for such a lower rate than most other top quality brands do. Alpine is also a great brand.

None the less I've seen multiple Kenwoods burn out when pushed to there max rms rating. Internal amp connections are just made out of cheap solder or something. You'll have even more problems if your jeeps in a high heat environment.

But hey what's the need for the hostility I gave my opinion. These forums go to shit fast because of members like you

My bad didn't mean to come off as hostile, I've always ran kenwood and they've held up well. I not sure about kenwood being cheaper though at least my excelons. Every time I've compared specs kenwood is about the same price for an equivalent head unit as a pioneer or alpine(except for alpines ridiculously expensive new 9inch head unit). And when you say you've seen kenwoods burn out at their max rms rating are you talking about amps? Or burning out their head unit? I can hardly imagine guys in competitions were running door speakers of head unit power but maybe.

JakeJK

Yeah I checked Amazon after I saw it on this site. Much better deal there.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too concerned with getting Nav and it seems like this one had everything I would want. Does the build quality seem good? I also want something that will last a good while.

Only bad thing about buying with Amazon is it doesn't give you all the installation gear

mackey

Anyone have info on the Insane Audio JK specific system. It's suppose to have a mapping system, back up camera, and allows app downloading.

JakeJK

Anyone have info on the Insane Audio JK specific system. It's suppose to have a mapping system, back up camera, and allows app downloading.

But it's also android powered

A large majority of double dins have inputs for rear view cameras, there's a lot better head units you can get for 1200 bucks. Unless you really want the stock look I'd go with a full screen double din

Last edited:

JakeJK

So is that a good thing or bad thing? I have an Apple I Phone. When it comes to all this electronic stuff I have very little knowledge. Thanks

Not sure how compatible an android unit would be with Apple, I'd stick to a major manufacturer if I were getting another touchscreen. Pioneer alpine kenwood all make good stuff especially in that price range you can get a lot of cool features with those 3 brands

jkwebbie

I'm glad this came out, I've been looking at upgrading my shit sound system! I just want something that sounds good and can help drown out the sound of my tires going down the high way! Any suggestions?

TNuggs13

Don't use Kenwood they are crap. I installed car audio and competed in bass boxing and iDBm. Won a few trophies and 1st stock hatch back.

Pioneer is a great brand to look at Eq options are nice and most work with Andriod platforms as well as apple.

Really the kind of head unit you need depends on your general radio using.

Do you use app radios alot ie pandora, spotify? Or do you use your I pod playlist often?

Don't use apps too much but every once in a while I do. Mostly use my iPod. Thanks for the feedback! Looking for honest opinions!

TNuggs13

Only bad thing about buying with Amazon is it doesn't give you all the installation gear

Thought about that. I was thinking of going to a stereo shop and buying the gear for install. I would just need the mounts. Have the cables already.

JakeJK

I'm glad this came out, I've been looking at upgrading my shit sound system! I just want something that sounds good and can help drown out the sound of my tires going down the high way! Any suggestions?

Most likely you'll need an amp, my 27 watts from my head unit doesn't cut it even with stock speakers, I plan on getting a 400x4 rms JL amp paired with 2 pair of JL c2650

jkwebbie

Most likely you'll need an amp, my 27 watts from my head unit doesn't cut it even with stock speakers, I plan on getting a 400x4 rms JL amp paired with 2 pair of JL c2650

Yea I figured I would need an amp, just don't know where the hell to mount it lol

Saharacon

Driod and apple hate each other's products.

I'm sworn to andriod and my pioneer radio is made more for ipod and iphones using app radios and so forth. Generally if you have an IPhone then every thing around you is compatible. That's what happens when your companies profit range is out of this world and you can buy your self partnerships with every other technology and communications company out there

Saharacon

Don't use apps too much but every once in a while I do. Mostly use my iPod. Thanks for the feedback! Looking for honest opinions!

My best bet for you would be to go on to Crutchfield and select the double din radios. Now filter results to only show those compatible with ipod and iphone. You'll be able to find a radio for your budget easily and if you see one you like and want to save a few extra bucks they have open boxes and refurbished items from the warehouse selection.

JakeJK

My best bet for you would be to go on to Crutchfield and select the double din radios. Now filter results to only show those compatible with ipod and iphone. You'll be able to find a radio for your budget easily and if you see one you like and want to save a few extra bucks they have open boxes and refurbished items from the warehouse selection.

I second this ^^

TNuggs13

Awesome! Thanks. I looked at a few on their site. I'll check it out.

TNuggs13

These are the 2 amps I got from work. Both are Kicker. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440654069.131842.jpg Would I need both to run the head unit, speakers and sub or just one? I don't know a lot about audio.

Top Bottom