Need help fast

elray

Guys, I'm in dire need of assistance. This morning my 06 TJ 4.0 turned over and died about 3 seconds later. Tried to crank it back on and it turned over fine. Then when I got off work when I tried to crank it on, it did the same thing. But this time it didn't turn back on. Thanks.

Last edited:

elray

Sorry, been a long time lurker and was a member on jkforums long ago. My name is Lucas, I live in eastern North Carolina and I have a black 06 TJ 4.0L

Also I just noticed that my original post was lacking a key word. Edited to reflect the correct information

Last edited:

David1tontj

I'd pull a spark plug and see if it is getting spark.

Sounds a little like a fuel pump if you are getting spark.

xrocknrollx

i would also check the throttle body. When I had my tj it was dying during idle. It turned out to be the connections/tubes on the tb were clogged up and would cause the jeep to die. mainly due to the map sensor tube being clogged with craps.

David1tontj

i would also check the throttle body. When I had my tj it was dying during idle. It turned out to be the connections/tubes on the tb were clogged up and would cause the jeep to die. mainly due to the map sensor tube being clogged with craps.

It'd be cheaper and easier to rule out your spark plugs first

Spark plugs won't make it just up and die all of a sudden. It would start running worse and worse.

Same with the throttle body.

My assumption is that it is/was running fine, but just decided to die out of the blue. This seems to be way more of an electrical or fuel delivery problem than a maintenance kind of problem.

JKWrang

Spark plugs won't make it just up and die all of a sudden. It would start running worse and worse.

Same with the throttle body.

My assumption is that it is/was running fine, but just decided to die out of the blue. This seems to be way more of an electrical or fuel delivery problem than a maintenance kind of problem.

I guess you're right. My Dakota did the same thing and it was an ignition problem, spark plugs spark plug wires etc, but it did start and then suddenly die however I could hit the clutch Revit and keep her going.

Moabbnd

The CPS (Crank position sensor): Taken from Wikipedia

A crank sensor is an electronic device used in an internal combustion engine to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. This information is used by engine management systems to control ignition system timing and other engine parameters. Before electronic crank sensors were available, the distributor would have to be manually adjusted to a timing mark on the engine.

The crank sensor can be used in combination with a similar camshaft position sensor to monitor the relationship between the pistons and valves in the engine, which is particularly important in engines with variable valve timing. This method is also used to "synchronise" a four stroke engine upon starting, allowing the management system to know when to inject the fuel. It is also commonly used as the primary source for the measurement of engine speed in revolutions per minute.

Common mounting locations include the main crank pulley, the flywheel, the camshaft or on the crankshaft itself. This sensor is the most important sensor in modern day engines. When it fails, there is a chance the engine will not start, or cut out while running

Most likely your problem. Look it up online, you'll find a lot of info regarding these sensors

Chad

I have an 04 Rubicon and it was doing the same thing. I replaced the crankshaft sensor two weeks ago, it literally took 5minutes to replace. Jeep runs fine now.

Chad

I did a bunch of research, and most of it fit into my issues, so I figured I would try the easiest and most common fix first. Apparently these seem to fail a lot. Picked up the Mopar part at the dealership, and after 5 minutes under the jeep, problem solved. I wasn't throwing any codes either.

Top Bottom