Need rear lighting?

GraniteCrystal

About to order LoD Destroyer series rear bumper. Comes with option for adding some lights to it, as seen here:

Screenshot_20170130-130928%7E2-432x289.png

If I do it, I'll probably do some Rigid Dually flush mounts.

Question: is it worth it? They seem low down and seems like it'd be nicer to have things lit from above. Price difference is about $200 with lights plus bezels. Am I going to want these long term? If I change my mind later and want them, I have to dismount the entire bunper/carrier (LoD confirmed this for me). Don't want to drop $200 now on lights I won't use or end up relocating.

jmpen

My destroyer "should" ship this week. I went with the flush mount rigids. Glad I did now that I've read the thread on installing this thing.

Sent from my XT1650 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wethy

While you would think higher would be better, my opinion is the opposit. I have a 6" LED floor light bar(cheapie from amazon) and when I turn it on there's a lot of glare on my back window and I feel like if the light was lower I wouldn't have that glare and the back window would be more useful! However in the summer with no back window it I can't imagine the height would make a difference just my 2 cents, as there is no glare because of not having anything to reflect back off of. Here's a pic for examples where it's mounted

IMG_5255.jpg

gheller

I'm going with a rear bumper with built in light cutouts (either Teraflex or Poison Spyder) and would think it should be enough to see what's behind me when I'm backing up at night but I'm interested to see what one who has the lights thinks too.
My thinking is I'd rather have them mounted inside the bumper to begin with and if it's not enough can always add another light later on.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I have the LoD signature series rear bumper with tire carrier. I opted to get the rear lights. I can't tell you how they work because I never wired them up. I can tell you this past year on the rubicon one filled up about halfway with water and if I need to replace the bulbs I'm going to have to remove the bumper to do so. I'm not sure how they are built into the destroyer bumper but that may be an issue too. I ordered them so I'd have them if I ever wanted or needed them. Unfortunately for the sake of redundancy I never hooked them up because I was going to get a switch panel but have yet to do it and did not want to install switches twice. I probably should have wired them into my reverse lights. One day they will be hooked up and used but who knows when...haha.

WJCO

Meme King
So I'm not hearing a strong argument for getting them

So if you don't get them, does the bumper have empty holes? If that's the case, I would get the lights so that it's done with. 200 bucks isn't bad for quality lights IMO. I have rigid pillars, no issues and a friend has had them for 3-4 years, no issues.

GraniteCrystal

So if you don't get them, does the bumper have empty holes? If that's the case, I would get the lights so that it's done with. 200 bucks isn't bad for quality lights IMO. I have rigid pillars, no issues and a friend has had them for 3-4 years, no issues.
No, you can get it without holes:

Screenshot_20170130-164247.png

Screenshot_20170130-164422.png

kbp810

Caught the Bug
My vote would be for, and I'd do them in a flood pattern to help make up for the low height; and on an independent switch from your reverse lights so that you're not blinding people in parking lots. I don't always make those night run long hill climbs on the first try (or sometimes even second or third, lol), and the stock reverse lights don't help much when you've got trees and/or a drop off to navigate coming back down.

kbp810

Caught the Bug
Have you considered just going with a cheaper LED? could probably just get some off of amazon and they would do the same job without the price tag.

Sent from my XT1031 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for though...

Brand new out of the box it was immediately popping fuses; traced it back to the light itself, and this is what I found when I opened it up.

GraniteCrystal

Have you considered just going with a cheaper LED? could probably just get some off of amazon and they would do the same job without the price tag.

Sent from my XT1031 using WAYALIFE mobile app
I have but apparently this bumper is a pretty big project to get on and off. Gonna hate myself if I put in some Amazon lights, mount it all up, and then one goes dead 2 weeks later.

Ddays

Hooked
I have but apparently this bumper is a pretty big project to get on and off. Gonna hate myself if I put in some Amazon lights, mount it all up, and then one goes dead 2 weeks later.

How robust are the lights that come with it? If I was going to get them with the lights I'd probably go with the flush mounts so you can remove them without taking the whole damn bumper off.

GraniteCrystal

How robust are the lights that come with it? If I was going to get them with the lights I'd probably go with the surface mounts so you can remove them without taking the whole damn bumper off.
Lights don't come with it. Provide your own.

When I asked LoD, they said even if I got the inserts for the flush mount lights, if I didn't put them on now, I'd still have to take the bumper off to put them on later.

Top Bottom