New 2024 JLUR X XR & first impressions

JamesWyatt

Caught the Bug
Traded the Mojave last Saturday for a '24 JLUR X XR 🥳

Never thought I'd get another chance to get the Anvil color, which is my favorite Wrangler color ever (right alongside Gobi, Gator, and Commando).

IMG_1522.jpg

The Good:
  • Return of Anvil.
  • Dramatically improved steering. Heavier feel. Zero play. Tiiiight.
  • 4:88 with the auto (!)
  • Quieter inside as Jeep claims, noticeably so.
  • Improved front seat comfort.
  • Higher-end feel to the interior fit/finish/materials. Approaching G-Wagon/Defender/X5 territory.
  • More intuitive UConnect user interface.
  • Bright and sharp screen. Wide enough that split screens are usable.
  • Improved satellite radio reception that doesn't cut out in my garage or drive though places with metal overhangs.
  • Easily the best stock Wrangler I've ever owned.
The Bad:
  • Items in the door netting can interfere with the power seat controls and/or restrict room for my hand to get to the controls.
  • Missed opportunity for the side vents to be rectangles to match the new center vents (TJ-style).
  • The new XR wheels are too bling. Very few are going to use the XR as beadlocks. They should have partnered with Method to offer a Mopar Bead Grip wheel with a protection ring.
  • Alpine stereo still sounds average. I want the option for a Harman-Kardon system. RAM and Challenger can have it, why not Jeep?
And the Ugly:

MSRP sticker of $72,690 🤯
But thankfully discounted with:
  • $2,000 rebate
  • $1,000 promo email from a pop-up offer while browsing Jeep's build & price page
  • $8,445 dealer discount
$61,245

Looks really nice! It is good that Jeep is finally addressing some customer demands!

It seems like Jeep could do much better by offering common add-ons such as a GMRS (and even a CB) radio by partnering with popular brands. Yes, the aftermarket support for add-ons is still good, but Jeep is in control of the interior, and especially the dash. There could be a plan to support commonly added features without doctoring things up and adding projections everywhere.

Likewise, a good quality tire air-up system from the factory would be appreciated, coming with air lines, wiring, fusing, and a respected pump brand (e.g. ARB) from the factory. Having some way to air up the tires is a basic requirement so it is astonishing that this was never addressed.

The option for better gearing and larger tires from the factory is greatly appreciated, even if it is offered at the apparent twilight of the gas powered Jeep, and at a very high price.

Congrats on a killer new Rubicon! Jeep really has stepped up their game...thank you Bronco!
Agree with most of your writeup but no change in my satellite radio behavior (minor annoyance) and I like the round side vents but happy with the center horizontal vents under the touchscreen.

The powertrain you have (V6 4.88 Auto) is what I wanted for my '24 JLR-X but Jeep only offered the 2.0T w/4.56 Auto for all 2-door JL's w/the XR package and they seem to have even 'paused' that option. Happy to have received mine last week!

Looks really nice! It is good that Jeep is finally addressing some customer demands!

It seems like Jeep could do much better by offering common add-ons such as a GMRS (and even a CB) radio by partnering with popular brands. Yes, the aftermarket support for add-ons is still good, but Jeep is in control of the interior, and especially the dash. There could be a plan to support commonly added features without doctoring things up and adding projections everywhere.

Likewise, a good quality tire air-up system from the factory would be appreciated, coming with air lines, wiring, fusing, and a respected pump brand (e.g. ARB) from the factory. Having some way to air up the tires is a basic requirement so it is astonishing that this was never addressed.

The option for better gearing and larger tires from the factory is greatly appreciated, even if it is offered at the apparent twilight of the gas powered Jeep, and at a very high price.
If I wasn't smoking crack when I read it, I think onboard air is being offered on the 392 Final Edition. Would love to see that offered as an option on all Rubicons.

Awesome id be curious your thoughts after a few thousand miles too. Personally I think Jeep has really stepped up their game.
Agreed. At first I wasn't sure about the new interior, but once I realized the dash wasn't fabric and sat inside one, I changed my mind. Yeah, I'll report back after putting more miles on it.

Congrats on a killer new Rubicon! Jeep really has stepped up their game...thank you Bronco!
Agree with most of your writeup but no change in my satellite radio behavior (minor annoyance) and I like the round side vents but happy with the center horizontal vents under the touchscreen.

The powertrain you have (V6 4.88 Auto) is what I wanted for my '24 JLR-X but Jeep only offered the 2.0T w/4.56 Auto for all 2-door JL's w/the XR package and they seem to have even 'paused' that option. Happy to have received mine last week!
Congrats on yours! The 2.0T with 4:56 is really a nice combo. It might be too easy to spool up the 2.0T and launch yourself into some rocks if they put the 4:88s on 'em without 37s 🙃

We are getting much more cool Wranglers in than before at my dealer, Jeep has definitely stepped up their game a bit for the 24 model year. Congrats and I'm glad you got a great deal on a great Jeep!
Thanks, yeah I never thought I'd see the day when I'd see such a well-built Wrangler – or see so many JLs on 35s on the lot. All Jeep needs to do now is offer an optional Atlas transfer case with a 2-speed low range.

Congrats on yours! The 2.0T with 4:56 is really a nice combo. It might be too easy to spool up the 2.0T and launch yourself into some rocks if they put the 4:88s on 'em without 37s 🙃

True! However I might have needed wheelie bars had I been able to get the V6 4.88 package...The brand new-in-box Edelbrock 3.6 V6 Supercharger w/Tune I bought for my '20 JLR and didn't get around to installing might have found a home at last!🤣

Top Bottom