New overheating issues after submersion

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Well I drove it down to the dealer this morning. It was time to use my last free oil change anyway. There wasn’t much traffic so temps stayed down around the 200 mark. However, this alternator or pulleys or whatever it is made the Jeep sound like a dang jet engine going down the highway. Thought it would blow at any second.

My integrity had me explain everything that happened and I told the tech that I wasn’t necessarily looking for a repair, just a comprehensive diagnosis. He literally shrugged and said “meh, you’re still under warranty so use it.” It’s ultimately not up to him anyway so we’ll see what happens. Priced out a new rad fan, alternator, and 2 idler pulleys. I think there’s a 3rd idler lower on the motor but couldn’t find a part number for that one. Shipping parts to Hawaii is hell.

IMG_6953.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Shootz, the dealership gets paid for warranty work, just not as much as a regular job. Hopefully they'll cover it fix it for ya. Too bad there's no Shaka emoji....

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Shootz, the dealership gets paid for warranty work, just not as much as a regular job. Hopefully they'll cover it fix it for ya. Too bad there's no Shaka emoji....

Like this? 🤙🏽 lol. Yeah but it was totally my fault and I accept full responsibility for what’s wrong with it. But because shipping is so crazy here, I just want to be sure that I’m ordering what I need the first time to consolidate shipping costs. I have no expectations that they’ll repair it. The service guys here are really cool though and don’t frown on modified vehicles. They all have lifted rams and Jeeps themselves. Hell they even passed my safety check with my tires sticking out and told me that it’s all about the angle of the camera when they take the picture for it. [emoji23]

zimm

Caught the Bug
Nice! On Oahu I had to deal with the recon issues. There was an ancient guy in a wheel chair that would give a safety permit sight unseen for $125. I'm sure he's passed on by now though. Big Island isn't that bad on modded vehicles.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Nice! On Oahu I had to deal with the recon issues. There was an ancient guy in a wheel chair that would give a safety permit sight unseen for $125. I'm sure he's passed on by now though. Big Island isn't that bad on modded vehicles.

Yeah there’s no recon here but they still require pictures. There’s no way I could pass with cut fenders so I’m forced to leave it until I get extended flatties. I don’t have any rubbing though as I haven’t been anywhere here that requires disconnecting yet. We’ll see. Plus everyone on this island has modified trucks and stuff. Mostly Tacoma’s but I’ve seen a noticeable increase in JKs lately. There’s a used car dealership here that keeps pumping in JKs and they’re selling like hot cakes. The dealership here just can’t sell any for some reason.

Brute

Hooked
Like this? lol. Yeah but it was totally my fault and I accept full responsibility for what’s wrong with it. But because shipping is so crazy here, I just want to be sure that I’m ordering what I need the first time to consolidate shipping costs. I have no expectations that they’ll repair it. The service guys here are really cool though and don’t frown on modified vehicles. They all have lifted rams and Jeeps themselves. Hell they even passed my safety check with my tires sticking out and told me that it’s all about the angle of the camera when they take the picture for it. [emoji23]

Yeah there’s no recon here but they still require pictures. There’s no way I could pass with cut fenders so I’m forced to leave it until I get extended flatties. I don’t have any rubbing though as I haven’t been anywhere here that requires disconnecting yet. We’ll see. Plus everyone on this island has modified trucks and stuff. Mostly Tacoma’s but I’ve seen a noticeable increase in JKs lately. There’s a used car dealership here that keeps pumping in JKs and they’re selling like hot cakes. The dealership here just can’t sell any for some reason.

I just replaced the alternator in my JK last week...the alternator was $262.50...labor was $490.00

Fortunately, they pass my jeep's annual safety check even with my MCE fenders...but I had to buy a set of cheap oem tires to pass recon the first time I brought the jeep in from WA...

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I just replaced the alternator in my JK last week...the alternator was $262.50...labor was $490.00

Fortunately, they pass my jeep's annual safety check even with my MCE fenders...but I had to buy a set of cheap oem tires to pass recon the first time I brought the jeep in from WA...

Holy crap that’s a lot for labor [emoji15] I fully intend on doing the work myself and possibly doing a write up. I didn’t see a write up for the rad fan or alternator so I might make them. Work seems fairly simple and straightforward.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Just got a call from the dealer. Fan wasn’t working because of the relay. They had it in stock and already swapped it. They also said that all of the pulleys and the tensioner were shot and had already ordered them from the mainland.

jesse3638

Hooked
Just got a call from the dealer. Fan wasn’t working because of the relay. They had it in stock and already swapped it. They also said that all of the pulleys and the tensioner were shot and had already ordered them from the mainland.

Good thing it was just the Relay and not the fan assembly. Maybe they can just sell you the pullys and you install them if you choose.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Good thing it was just the Relay and not the fan assembly. Maybe they can just sell you the pullys and you install them if you choose.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah. Good thing also that I took it there before I ordered parts. I would’ve bought a $425 part that wouldn’t have fixed the issue. Plan on buying the pulleys from them when they come in sometime next week.

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s crazy that all that damage occurred from a couple deep water crossings. Not intentionally, but I have completely submerged my Jeep over the hood on a short crossing and I have gone thru countless other crossings at different water levels and have never had any issues with my pulleys, alternator, or fan. It was hard to tell in your video but it didn’t appear that you were going very fast. A good consistent moderate speed as you are going thru the crossing is best way not to cause any damage. But it appears that’s how to handled the crossings. Crazy.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
That’s crazy that all that damage occurred from a couple deep water crossings. Not intentionally, but I have completely submerged my Jeep over the hood on a short crossing and I have gone thru countless other crossings at different water levels and have never had any issues with my pulleys, alternator, or fan. It was hard to tell in your video but it didn’t appear that you were going very fast. A good consistent moderate speed as you are going thru the crossing is best way not to cause any damage. But it appears that’s how to handled the crossings. Crazy.

Yeah I’m not sure why all of this stuff crapped out but I’m glad it isn’t much worse than it is... which it easily could have been. I found where a little water was at the bottom of the air filter housing as evidenced by a little dirt with water rings. Fortunately the Jeep engineers designed it the way they did. I’m also surprised I didn’t fry any major electrical components like the ecm. The more I looked around in there afterward, the more I realized how lucky I am. My wife told me that I need a snorkel. I laughed and told here that if I’m deep enough to need a snorkel, the Jeeps gonna be toast anyway. She also said she wants one of her own now too... might be in the market for a JL or wait for the JT soon.

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s great she wants one! Now you get to have two endless money pits!

The ECM seems to keep water out well. I’ve never seen any evidence of it getting into mine. My biggest fear with water crossings is loosing momentum and getting stuck. As long as you keep moving, the bow wave keeps most of the water away from the top of the engine. I’ve always wanted to put a GoPro in the engine bay during a crossing to see how high it actually gets.

I run a snorkel on mine and sealed my air box. You fore sure in those videos had you intake under water for short periods of time. There are drains in the bottom of your air box that release that water that it ingested and kept it out of the block as it was designed to do. That’s the advantage of the snorkel for these crossings. I never want to take the Jeep thru anything deeper than the top of my tires. But where that stock air intake is, it’s not hard to roll a wave up onto your fender and down the intake, even in shallower crossings.

Not sure why you’re having ethical dilemmas with this one. What’s the height a jku is rated for water fording? And how much taller is yours then stock? Yeah, warranty. And Jesus Christ that’s ridiculous for shipping. Be cheaper to put it in a suitcase and fly someone down there with it, hey I could use a vacation....

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Not sure why you’re having ethical dilemmas with this one. What’s the height a jku is rated for water fording? And how much taller is yours then stock? Yeah, warranty. And Jesus Christ that’s ridiculous for shipping. Be cheaper to put it in a suitcase and fly someone down there with it, hey I could use a vacation....

I don’t remember what the limit was.. I found it on here somewhere the other day and calculated I was about 10” over the limit with the lift and tires.

Pack your bags and come on down! We have 2 more storms in the chute and 4 more months of hurricane season. Should be fun.

IMG_6964.JPG

Top Bottom