New Radiator on 14' JKRUX and what a nightmare!

King Con

Well, it may be time to get rid of the old 14' JKURX! Since the day I purchased the Jeep brand new I have had a lingering smell of antifreeze when I park it in the garage. Have taken it to the dealer for every oil change and on several occasions asked them to look for a leak. Each time they said that nothing was wrong because I hadn't seen any on the garage floor. Well, a couple of days ago I took it in and insisted something was leaking. Dealer took it in and low and behold they found a leak on the radiator. They ordered a new one and put it in and gave me a call to come get it. I wasn't going to make it before closing so I had my wife stop by and grab the keys so we could take it home later that night. When we went to pick it up, I noticed a couple of clips weren't attached on the grill so I pushed them in and had the wife drive it home. Before we were out of the parking lot my wife honked and told me it had a sound of water running noise, so I jumped in and drove towards the house to see what she was talking about. Didn't hear any noise, but about 500 yards from the house I suddenly had antifreeze spewing out the drivers side hood. I only live about 3 miles from the dealership. When I pulled in the driveway and popped the hood, I couldn't believe my eyes! The top radiator hose was not connected!! WTF? I had kept an eye on the temperature gauge and it was barely over half way.

The next morning I went to the dealership and asked to see the Service Manager. Of course she wasn't in. About an hour and a half later she calls back and said "I hear you blew a radiator hose off!" I said, "No it was never hooked up!" A little while later they came to the house and added about 1 1/4 gallons of antifreeze and took it to the shop to check it out. About three hours later they called and said it was ready. Went down and picked it up and went for about 35 mile ride. About a 1/4 mile from my house the check engine light is now on and seems to be running rough. Do you think I warped a head, or what could be happening? I am going to take it to the parts store when it cools down and see if they can scan a code.

This is not the first time I have had issues with the Jeep. Every oil change has been done by the same dealer and the last time they broke the filter housing and tried to say I did it when I had the receipt from two weeks before. They replaced the housing and when I got it home it was leaking worse than when I took it the first time. Took it back to the dealer and finally fixed that issue. Getting tired of fighting this thing. It only has 16,000 miles on it and now this!

I never thought Jeep ownership would be like this. I am going to call Jeep next week and complain. Has anyone ever had any issues like this? What course of action should be taken? Lawyer, New Motor, Extended Warranty? I am ready to go and get rid of this thing.

Thanks,

KingCon

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry to hear. At that low of mileage, keep records and save pictures. Did it ever overheat on you that you know of? You can rent or buy a block tester from an auto parts store to see if you have combustion gases in the cooling system. This would indicate if head is cracked or warped. If combustion gases are present in the cooling system, the head is either warped or cracked.

Scanned the code, it says it is cylinder #2 injector misfire. What next?

Likely under warranty. Those cylinder heads had a defect. Remind them when you take it in that they left the hose off to put some pressure on them. But from 2012 through 2015, there was an updated head, and usually it was from a #2 misfire. Had to do with valve seats causing misfire.

Do you think overheating could have caused this because of the high temperature?

as mentioned before, they've had #2 misfire issues, it's possible overheating just brought it up sooner than later.

I have a 2010 - no issues in the last 145k+ miles but am watching my 2015 since it's approaching the mileage where these issues seem to begin to surface.

What's the approaching miles? I have an 12 jku

Sent from my SM-N920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

it's pretty low - I think the avg is around 15k miles, my buddy had his replaced at 12k miles and the radiator replaced not too long after for casting sand issues...

Jeep extended the warranty to 10yrs or 150k miles on cylinder head

Top Bottom