New Toyo Open Country R/T

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Can they price match? I'm seeing them cheaper online.

Capture.JPG
This is from Tread Depot

Capture2.JPG
This is from Tires Direct

Robertcrav

I don't have first hand use/knowledge of these, but at the Sand Sports Show, I spoke to a manager of Allen Tire, who had swapped a set of MTs for these on his Mid-Travel Tacoma and he said he wasn't impressed... he said in situations where the MTs were planted and turned these washed out/slid ... he said he wished he would have put another set of MTs on his truck...

take that for what it's worth...

that being said, he was a big fan of the Cooper ST Maxxs which will be the next tire on my Bronco.

JeepinRay

Really thinking hard about getting a set of these soon. Deciding between this and the new nitto exo grapplers. Anyone have opinions on the snow rating between these two?

Robertcrav

I'm in So. Cal so what do I know about snow, but by looking at the tread of the tire, I'd have to disagree... it is hardly siped compared to the Exo..and the Exo is ready to be studded, as an All Weather tire

http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/exo-grappler-all-weather-traction-light-truck-tire/

"Winter Performance

Rated with the 3-peak mountain snowflake for winter driving conditions, the Exo Grappler’s sipes and large lateral grooves provide biting edges as well as water and snow/slush evacuation. These tread features are combined with a new durable compound that allows for traction in freezing temperatures. For additional traction, option TSMI #15 studs can be added for increased winter traction."

image_07.png

JeepinRay

Good point and I do agree that it's looking like the better choice for snow. Toyo gives it a 4 out of 5 for snow but self rating may not be the best gage to go by. Either way they're both great looking tires. Decisions... 😣

chipper

Is anyone running these yet? I'm getting ready to put on a lift and tires very soon. I just got a price of $360 per tire for 35x12.5x17. But wanted some reviews first.

onbelay

Is anyone running these yet? I'm getting ready to put on a lift and tires very soon. I just got a price of $360 per tire for 35x12.5x17. But wanted some reviews first.

Just put a set of 4 on this morning. 35x12.5R17. Replaced my second set of ProComp XTreme A/Ts (great all around tires, not so good in mud). You can find the tires for much less than $360, and with free shipping! I paid $320ish.

First impression is that they look smaller/thinner than my old ProComps, even though the manufacturer says they are within .1" of each other in diameter. Second impression is that they are VERY smooth and quiet on the road; I can barely hear them with the windows up (FYI my carpet and cubby cover are removed at the moment). Handling seemed a bit nervous at first, but this might be due to the installers putting in 40PSI (!!!). I took them down to 35PSI, and they are better behaved. I will try 30PSI and see how that feels. Speaking of feeling, I was expecting much more vibration and harshness from the aggressive tread and "E" rating; instead, they feel slightly more stiff and communicative than the stock AT tires.

I haven't tried them in the mud yet, but hope to later this week. I will report back.

I actually wanted the Exo Grappler due to the snow rating, but I could not find those in my size last week ... and I couldn't wait any longer.

2008 JKU, 3.5" lift, and a ton (figuratively and almost literally) of mods.

Hobolobo

Just put a set of 4 on this morning. 35x12.5R17. Replaced my second set of ProComp XTreme A/Ts (great all around tires, not so good in mud). You can find the tires for much less than $360, and with free shipping! I paid $320ish.

First impression is that they look smaller/thinner than my old ProComps, even though the manufacturer says they are within .1" of each other in diameter. Second impression is that they are VERY smooth and quiet on the road; I can barely hear them with the windows up (FYI my carpet and cubby cover are removed at the moment). Handling seemed a bit nervous at first, but this might be due to the installers putting in 40PSI (!!!). I took them down to 35PSI, and they are better behaved. I will try 30PSI and see how that feels. Speaking of feeling, I was expecting much more vibration and harshness from the aggressive tread and "E" rating; instead, they feel slightly more stiff and communicative than the stock AT tires.

I haven't tried them in the mud yet, but hope to later this week. I will report back.

I actually wanted the Exo Grappler due to the snow rating, but I could not find those in my size last week ... and I couldn't wait any longer.

2008 JKU, 3.5" lift, and a ton (figuratively and almost literally) of mods.

We need pics! Thanks for the info. Definitely one im considering.

Robertcrav

Another tire I'd consider with these would be the Cooper ST MAXX
http://youtu.be/9Kz8mmLkeks

732b1d82ce67cccb6e40165d0dc7f938.jpg

7fac3073c04eaae62e67b9d36dbf8ea0.jpg

Rccrwlr

I don't have first hand use/knowledge of these, but at the Sand Sports Show, I spoke to a manager of Allen Tire, who had swapped a set of MTs for these on his Mid-Travel Tacoma and he said he wasn't impressed... he said in situations where the MTs were planted and turned these washed out/slid ... he said he wished he would have put another set of MTs on his truck...

take that for what it's worth...

that being said, he was a big fan of the Cooper ST Maxxs which will be the next tire on my Bronco.

Another tire I'd consider with these would be the Cooper ST MAXX
http://youtu.be/9Kz8mmLkeks

732b1d82ce67cccb6e40165d0dc7f938.jpg

7fac3073c04eaae62e67b9d36dbf8ea0.jpg

So do you think we should all check out the Copper ST MAXX?

I think you should start a new thread in stead of trying to direct people away from this tire. This thread and the Nitto Exo thread are for people to get and put more information about the tire in the title. Please keep on topic for those of us that want more information about the Open Country.

--rccrwlr.

Robertcrav

My bad...just trying to offer info based on questions/comments the OP made...sorry I'm sold on the Cooper brand of tire.

I don't see this as any different than interjecting/suggesting someone go with an Evo product over another brand when someone asks for info...

Top Bottom