Opinions?

jt303

I'm getting a Gladiator this weekend, my requirements are 6 speed (i know, i know automatic is better, just cant do it), black, and hard top.
I've narrowed it down to 2, both the same price.

2023 Sport, has the Wifi hot spot, upgraded fox suspension from someone, but, thats about it. No PW/PL, has the 7" screen and no apline upgrade. 9k miles. I've had no pw and pl in most of my 2 door Jeeps and havent cared, but, now with kids, that might be a pain.

2020 Overland, has the 8.4" screen, alpine, pw, and p/l, I dont think it has hot spot and it doesnt say off road pages (not sure if they all have that in the 8.4). 22k miles.

My tendency is to get newer in a jeep, however, i really like the bigger screen and alpine upgrade and 22k miles should still last forever in a 2020 I would hope.

Any thoughts from experts?

"Any thoughts from experts?"

So this rules me out of this shit.

I'm having trouble with your interest in Wifi but not power windows and locks. Call me crazy but hooking up to the internet is more important than not having to perform some cirque de solei bendy nonsense to open up the back doors while sitting in the driver seat?

And yes, I typed power windows and locks because I had to read the thing a few times to fill in the blanks. Maybe its a thing.... like my kids saying cringy, gyatt, or rizz but whatever.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since you're dead set on a manual in spite of the pressure plate recall, I would recommend power windows and locks as mentioned above.

jt303

And yes, I typed power windows and locks because I had to read the thing a few times to fill in the blanks. Maybe its a thing.... like my kids saying cringy, gyatt, or rizz but whatever.
Hmm..ok. Thanks for the feedback and I agree I think regarding PW/PL. I've always seen this abbreviation, i'm in my 40's so not one for weird abbreviations, i dont even kow what gyatt or rizz means, but, thats interesting. Thanks!

Aceisback

Hooked
For the same money the Overland is much more Jeep. And with the mileage difference it has probably had most of the bugs worked out.

BUT, if you’re going to be doing a lot of upgrades anyway then the newer Sport may be the better platform for you. If you don’t care for the pw/pl options.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
If you’re not trying to maximize off road capability and if a stick is what you really want then by all means get it.

Yeah the PW/PL, definitely worth it.

jt303

I appreciate the automatic replies, thats a non starter for me. Looking for advice on the 23 vs 20 specifically. Thanks for all the feedback!

Ddays

Hooked
If you have a cell signal you have wifi. I wouldn't worry about that. power windows and locks are handy. Jeeps are loud - premium radio is necessary. offroad pages are a simple download

jt303

If you have a cell signal you have wifi. I wouldn't worry about that. power windows and locks are handy. Jeeps are loud - premium radio is necessary. offroad pages are a simple download
Thank you! Didnt realize I could just download offroad pages.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Since you’re dead set on the manual but are open to power locks and windows, I’d say go for the power 100%. I’ve had both set ups in gladiators and the manual locks and windows is a pain in the ass, especially with and for my kids. To me, it was such a pain that it was a major contributing factor in getting one with power.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I much prefer wheeling with a manual transmission. Don't let anyone you can't wheel with a manual. Both transmissions types have their strengths and weaknesses. I find wheeling with an automatic harder to do because I've always used a manual.

The JLs have had problems with the clutch catching on fire and my understanding is Jeep's fix is to de-rate the engine through the computer. I can find nothing that explains why the clutches have been catching fire. Normally, the only way to get a clutch that hot is through slipping. If the clutch is slipping, it should be a simple matter to redesign the clutch for proper clamping & friction.

If you get a manual, have plans to replace the clutch with an aftermarket assembly. I've used Centerforce clutches for decades and they've never let me down. I'm currently using a Centerforce Dual Friction in my Rubicon. I've read about guys replacing their JL clutches with Centerforce and claimed it solved the problem.

Ddays

Hooked
I much prefer wheeling with a manual transmission. Don't let anyone you can't wheel with a manual. Both transmissions types have their strengths and weaknesses. I find wheeling with an automatic harder to do because I've always used a manual.

The JLs have had problems with the clutch catching on fire and my understanding is Jeep's fix is to de-rate the engine through the computer. I can find nothing that explains why the clutches have been catching fire. Normally, the only way to get a clutch that hot is through slipping. If the clutch is slipping, it should be a simple matter to redesign the clutch for proper clamping & friction.

If you get a manual, have plans to replace the clutch with an aftermarket assembly. I've used Centerforce clutches for decades and they've never let me down. I'm currently using a Centerforce Dual Friction in my Rubicon. I've read about guys replacing their JL clutches with Centerforce and claimed it solved the problem.

having to replace a brand new clutch with another brand new clutch isn’t much of a ringing endorsement for the manual. 🤷‍♂️

jesse3638

Hooked

I've wheeled my manual JKU and have had a great time with it. Having the direct control is nice. Wheeling my wife's JLU with an auto in manual mode is very similar. The biggest benefit to the auto is dailying it and highway driving. It's night and day better than the 6 speed. I drive it on the highway far more than off road and feel its better suited for that. It really brings the 3.6l to life. The power is close to how our 2013 Durango with the hemi felt.

Top Bottom