Ordering pr44

fiend

Caught the Bug
So I understand this right, are you saying just buy the Rubicon PR44 and swap all parts and that would only set you back about 2500?

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, if you do all the labor yourself to swap your other components. That labor includes installing pinion and carrier bearings and setting up the ring and pinion gear.

I went down this path and it does work, although ultimately the only original thing from my Rubicon front axle that remains is the locker. I upgraded the ball joints (OE and Synergys worn out, now on Dynatracs), axle shafts (to chromoly), and brakes (big brake kit). I had to swap in new knuckles (Rancho) after OE ones cracked, and replace the tie rod (Currie) when my original one got pretzeled beyond straightening.

So all in, I probably spent more than just buying a fully built PR44. But the spend was over time, and I learned a lot in the process (like how to set up gears).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Yes, if you do all the labor yourself to swap your other components. That labor includes installing pinion and carrier bearings and setting up the ring and pinion gear.

I went down this path and it does work, although ultimately the only original thing from my Rubicon front axle that remains is the locker. I upgraded the ball joints (OE and Synergys worn out, now on Dynatracs), axle shafts (to chromoly), and brakes (big brake kit). I had to swap in new knuckles (Rancho) after OE ones cracked, and replace the tie rod (Currie) when my original one got pretzeled beyond straightening.

So all in, I probably spent more than just buying a fully built PR44. But the spend was over time, and I learned a lot in the process (like how to set up gears).

I have stock Dana44 and I don’t have the stock brakes, ball joints, tie rod, or hub bearings. But I do have the knuckles, gears, and lockers.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug

Nice . You can help me when the time comes :) I’ll bring beers [emoji482] lol

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have stock Dana44 and I don’t have the stock brakes, ball joints, tie rod, or hub bearings. But I do have the knuckles, gears, and lockers.

Everything will swap from a rubicon 44 housing to a PR44 housing that’s made for the rubicon. Other than any clamp type brackets, since the axle tube is larger.

MericaMade

Yup. Used to be about $1900. Great way to upgrade and save a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Oh snaps... thanks guys, great info Fiend.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh snaps... thanks guys, great info Fiend.

It's all about perspective. Like most people or at least back in the day, I made a lot of upgrades BEFORE bumping up to a PR44 and so, I personally felt it made more sense to swap everything over and save a ton of money. If you've got an unmodified Rubicon 44, buying a complete new axle might be the better way to go.

MericaMade

It's all about perspective. Like most people or at least back in the day, I made a lot of upgrades BEFORE bumping up to a PR44 and so, I personally felt it made more sense to swap everything over and save a ton of money. If you've got an unmodified Rubicon 44, buying a complete new axle might be the better way to go.
Thank you for elaborating.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Everything will swap from a rubicon 44 housing to a PR44 housing that’s made for the rubicon. Other than any clamp type brackets, since the axle tube is larger.

True, I was implying that it is highly unlikely that you’ll buy the PR44 housing and not make any other axle upgrades. Although a $2500 PR44 housing is a good deal, if you want to “buy once cry once”, it may not the best way to go.

fiend

Caught the Bug
True, I was implying that it is highly unlikely that you’ll buy the PR44 housing and not make any other axle upgrades. Although a $2500 PR44 housing is a good deal, if you want to “buy once cry once”, it may not the best way to go.

As Eddie suggested, it’s a good approach if you’ve already made some upgrades to your stock 44. Chromoly shafts and big brakes, for example. You can swap those parts over to the PR44 housing. It’s a good way to spread some of the expense over time and get full value from (ie, wear out) your stock parts before upgrading.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
As Eddie suggested, it’s a good approach if you’ve already made some upgrades to your stock 44. Chromoly shafts and big brakes, for example. You can swap those parts over to the PR44 housing. It’s a good way to spread some of the expense over time and get full value from (ie, wear out) your stock parts before upgrading.

I think the benefit of spreading out the expense over years is the biggest benefit. Not to mention if 37” tires are your end-game that’s all that is needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom