Overlanding Gear

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Anyone used one of these? Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463609230.083517.jpg

I've got the chance to buy one, never used and still in the box, for $90. They don't make them anymore but the original msrp was about $400. :eek:

I get nervous buying something that's been discontinued but this may be too good to pass up.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked

View attachment 203937

I've got the chance to buy one, never used and still in the box, for $90. They don't make them anymore but the original msrp was about $400. :eek:

I get nervous buying something that's been discontinued but this may be too good to pass up.

What's the deal on the side a skillet/cooktop? Never seen one before.

MTG

Caught the Bug

View attachment 203937

If you don't buy it I will give you the money for it.

GraniteCrystal

Just realized I don't have a bear bag for upcoming trip as my last one broke. Anyone got a bear bag setup they'd recommend? Extra points if it's DIY

WJCO

Meme King
Just realized I don't have a bear bag for upcoming trip as my last one broke. Anyone got a bear bag setup they'd recommend? Extra points if it's DIY

When I car camp, I just lock up the food in the Jeep. With a soft top, I probably wouldn't though. For backpacking, I've been using Walmart plastic bags for almost a decade. Free, Seals smells, and have no weight to carry with you. I always check to make sure there are no small holes in them. I tie each bag in a single knot. If food is light, I double bag it, if heavy I tripple bag it. No problems so far.

w (3).JPG

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^ I can't believe you have never had a squirrel rip apart your bag.

I haven't had to throw a bag in a long time. I used to just use a dry bag (SealLine or Sea to Summit) and a rope (usually my kayak throw rope because it has a bag on one end that I could put some rocks in for throwing weight.) Using a dry bag ensures that the food doesn't get wet in the event of a nighttime rain and I at least felt like it also minimized smell. They come in several different volumes and thicknesses.

GraniteCrystal

I haven't had to throw a bag in a long time. I used to just use a dry bag (SealLine or Sea to Summit) and a rope (usually my kayak throw rope because it has a bag on one end that I could put some rocks in for throwing weight.) Using a dry bag ensures that the food doesn't get wet in the event of a nighttime rain and I at least felt like it also minimized smell. They come in several different volumes and thicknesses.

I thought of that as well. I have some dry bags that I could use. Just felt like overkill to risk a nice dry bag.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I just put a few snickers bars in Sharkeys tent and leave my food in the ARB. So far no issues.

WJCO

Meme King

That's a good point. Never have had an issue. However, I am usually backpacking in pretty remote areas where there's not a lot of people. I see a lot more squirrel activity close to trails rather than where I camp. Could be part of it :idontknow:

swampdog

Eno hammocks on sale at REI. I have one and love it. Get the double.

Just pulled the trigger on the eno double nest full setup (bug net, tarp, straps) from REI. With an extra 6% off by starting order through activejunky, came out to $155 with tax when it is normally $215.

Also got the North Face Furnace 35 bag for $130 (normally $180) from back country including the 10% cash back by going through active junky. This thread has inspired me to up my camping game and ditch the cheap shit I had been using. Thanks for reminding me of the REI sale.

Check out the active junky website if you aren't already signed up, an additional 6-10% cash back at REI, backcountry.com, etc. paid quarterly to your pay pal.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Just pulled the trigger on the eno double nest full setup (bug net, tarp, straps) from REI. With an extra 6% off by starting order through activejunky, came out to $155 with tax when it is normally $215.

Also got the North Face Furnace 35 bag for $130 from back country including the 10% cash back by going through active junky. This thread has inspired me to up my camping game and ditch the cheap shit I had been using.

Check out the active junky website if you aren't already signed up, an additional 6-10% cash back at REI, backcountry.com, etc. paid quarterly to your pay pal.

Sweet man! If you want some good hammock tips, check this dude out: https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery/videos. This guy does it all. He'll camp in 40 below weather in his hammock. He's a nut job but somewhat entertaining to watch too. I myself have never tried a hammock but a ton more backpackers are doing it.

Top Bottom