PA law with fenders and tires

Sunday I got ticket #2 from the same state cop about my tires (33x12.5) wider than my fenders (cut stock). He's just tagging me every time he sees me.

So I'm asking for options. Ideas of fenders to possibly buy. Also I'm planning to buy tires here soon. I don't want to go with a skinnier tire but it's my last option. Just asking for ideas!

Thanks!

Go to the hardware store & buy some black plastic lawn edging...cut it to size & contact glue them to your fenders...I used to do that every year to pass safety inspection in HI...A hui hou.

Go to the hardware store & buy some black plastic lawn edging...cut it to size & contact glue them to your fenders...I used to do that every year to pass safety inspection in HI...A hui hou.

Only problem with that is even with a passed inspection sticker the cops can still pull you over. The sticker won't matter.

Sunday I got ticket #2 from the same state cop about my tires (33x12.5) wider than my fenders (cut stock). He's just tagging me every time he sees me.

So I'm asking for options. Ideas of fenders to possibly buy. Also I'm planning to buy tires here soon. I don't want to go with a skinnier tire but it's my last option. Just asking for ideas!

Thanks!

Let's keep this this thread on track please and stop trying to turn this into a cop bashing thread.

Here is nicks question again for everyone

Not sure about PA law. Is it truly a fender issue as folks here in CA try to avoid this by running mud flaps. As for the "no bumper," would an EVO rear fascia be bumper enough?

i used these on my ZJ

they netted 2 ½ inches of fender extension to keep Dudley Do-Right off my back – they are ¼” thick and flexible

100_0684.jpg

100_0690.jpg

100_0694.jpg

100_0697.jpg

100_0699.jpg

Not sure about PA law. Is it truly a fender issue as folks here in CA try to avoid this by running mud flaps. As for the "no bumper," would an EVO rear fascia be bumper enough?

It's a fender coverage issue. Forget exactly how the law reads but in effect you are not supposed to have tires extended beyond the fenders. Never heard about the bumper before - thats new.

I'm thinking that if I would either go back to stock fenders (not cut) or with some mce fenders he wouldn't bother me. It would have a finished look and maybe not as obvious. And he's told me the only way to fix it is to get smaller tires. But with the bumper, I made my argument about the fact it's just a plastic "cover" and that's why I believe he gave me a warning.

It's a fender coverage issue. Forget exactly how the law reads but in effect you are not supposed to have tires extended beyond the fenders. Never heard about the bumper before - thats new.

Tires may not stick out more than 3" past the fenders.

FWIW I am running the Bushwhacker flats and they are pretty nice. Better off sticking to something flexible in case you whack a tree or something. Plastic will give but metal could damage the tub...

I have been looking for fenders to make my Jeep legal in Hawaii. The issue I have run in to is that there doesn't seem to be too many aftermarket fenders that offer more coverage than stock. I called MCE, Metalcloak and GenRight. All told me their widest flare is the same as stock. Anyone know how wide the new Mopar hi line flares are compared to stock?

What about something like these not that you want to buy new fenders but apparently these give an extra 1.5" of coverage. They say 2dr but I'm surer hey fit a 4dr

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454459674.480935.jpg

What about something like these not that you want to buy new fenders but apparently these give an extra 1.5" of coverage. They say 2dr but I'm surer hey fit a 4dr

View attachment 185677

These are the ones I'm highly considering at the moment. With going 1.5" wider I would hope the cop would take into consideration that I put effort into fixing the issue.

These are the ones I'm highly considering at the moment. With going 1.5" wider I would hope the cop would take into consideration that I put effort into fixing the issue.

I agree! How much do the tires stick out past now? And I remember seeing someone took some flexible plastic and attached it to the chopped flares looked like they either screwed it or rivited it to the existing one. Wasn't pretty but it worked for that dude lol

I agree! How much do the tires stick out past now? And I remember seeing someone took some flexible plastic and attached it to the chopped flares looked like they either screwed it or rivited it to the existing one. Wasn't pretty but it worked for that dude lol

Right now I measure about 3.5". I have uncut factory fronts laying around and I measured about an inch that I cut off and assume that's what I also cut off the rear so I'd be sticking out about 1.5" after and that would be hard to see driving past a cop

These are the ones I am running along with 33" tires and live about .25 miles from a State Police barracks and have no problems so far…..

IMG_0476.jpg

There is a lot of room to upgrade when moving up to larger tires down the road.

Right now I measure about 3.5". I have uncut factory fronts laying around and I measured about an inch that I cut off and assume that's what I also cut off the rear so I'd be sticking out about 1.5" after and that would be hard to see driving past a cop

With factory uncut fenders you might get away with the tire coverage however I presume that 1.5" of those extended flares is based on OEM so that would probably help your cause. It's unfortunate you have to pay 130 for a ticket then maybe another 600 on flares!

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone that has installed these Xenon flares. What was install like, are they durable, what is fit like, etc. When I was first starting my build the first time, I couldn't find anyone that installed these anywhere, nor had my local store sold any to anyone for me to ask. I went with the Bushwackers after seeing them on a couple Jeeps. I really like the Xenons, just couldn't pull the trigger without seeing in person.

FWIW here is the coverage you get with the bushwackers

Front of the front fender

0202162024.jpg

Rear of the front fender

0202162025.jpg

Rear fender. The width is consistent on the rears.

0202162023c.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom