Peacock Flats, Oahu Hawaii

Jeepfan30

Myself and three other guys are going up Saturday morning, meeting two guys that know the trail well and one has "the recovery vehicle", can't remember his name though. Looks like fun, have been up once before but stayed on the main trail to the campgrounds.

tyscty

Just shipped my JKU yesterday and will be coming off the boat on the 30th of April. Very excited about wheeling out there.

I have heard there are Hawaii restrictions on lifts, oversized tires etc... Have you guys ever had any issues?

Also is there any decent shops to buy at or am I better off online?

Thanks!

Jeepfan30

Just shipped my JKU yesterday and will be coming off the boat on the 30th of April. Very excited about wheeling out there.

I have heard there are Hawaii restrictions on lifts, oversized tires etc... Have you guys ever had any issues?

Also is there any decent shops to buy at or am I better off online?

Thanks!

I have done all of my Jeep purchases through Northridge 4x4. If you ask around when you get here you will hear that they have the best shipping deals to HI, 10% of your order cost regardless of weight. They cannot ship tires UPS, they can put on a slow boat though.

As far as HI laws, if you have a modified suspension or wheels/tires you will most likely need a reconstruction (recon) inspection. Basically all of the tire tread that makes contact with the road surface needs to be covered by fender flares. Most people screw in garden trim from Lowes to pass the inspection, then take it off afterwards.

You also need mudflats that go down to the center of your wheels. The bottom of your front bumper cannot be higher than 29 inches off the ground. Must have a third brake light. Must have an alignment showing factory specs within 30 days of the recon inspection. If you have aftermarket fenders you will need to have the adhesive reflective orange markers on, they usually come with fenders (Bushwacker). View attachment 137881

See my picture of my Jeep rigged for the recon inspection.

Jeepfan30

Thanks a bunch for the info. This looks to be interesting. Haha

It is very ridiculous. But after the inspection is done almost everyone removes the mud flaps and fender trim, rare for the police here to pull you over if you take it off after passing recon inspection.

Top Bottom