PEOPLE SUCK and that INCLUDES Off Roaders!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw this on my local news and I am simply speechless. In fact, every time I hear a Jeeper or other off-road enthusiast gush about how 'awesome' other Jeepers or off-roaders are, all I can think about are all the shitheads that do things like this...
IMG_1369_3.jpg

You can read the full story in the link below but in a nutshell, some douchebag illegally wheeled his way into the Saline Valley marsh and surprise... got STUCK like the moron that they were and then proceeded to use one of the historic salt tram towers to winch themselves out. Of course, this caused the tower to topple!!

I so hate people.

I seriously don't understand people. I love how the article says "we hope the responsible party comes forward so we can discuss restitution" The person who did this probably didn't even know the history behind the tower he pulled over. Idiot!

Were older generations of wheelers in the 70's, 80's, 90's this destructive? Seems to happen a lot these days... and trash left behind.
There are so many people who are venturing off the pavement who never would have done it before social media and COVID. Last time I was in the San Juans I kept coming across 20 something idiots in Tacos and 4runners with every imaginable piece of gear screwed to them (all of it shiny and unused) that had no business being there. 99% of them had no idea where their vehicle was on the trail and didn't know the trial etiquette. I got tired of them trying to push me over the edge. I kept having to "guide" them past me on shelf roads that weren't really that narrow. I really got tired of having to almost yell at them to get them to move the hell over! Of course then you have the SxS crowd....
Basically all of these idots, no matter what type of vehicle they drive, have never been trained and don't bother to teach themselves. The go into the back country with the same care and forethought that they use when they go to the grocery store!

I completely agree with Eddie, people suck!

One poor mistake after another. Most likely went out alone or with one vehicle, or surrounded by other idiots if not.
These weren't 'mistakes', these were deliberate acts of self-important stupidness.
Douchebags is right. Just more fuel for them to close our trails.
Where this happened is a CLOSED area. Clearly, that didn't stop the fucker from going in anyway. The only people who get hurt by shitheads like him are the law abiding good people who try to do the right thing.
stuff like this pissed me off.
I hope somebody turns that shitbag in.
It really breaks my heart and reminds me of why I never share the places that are really important to me with others.
Damn I hate assholes like that. Hope they get caught though I know it’s doubtful at best.
Nobody is going to get caught just like the asshole who drove out into the Race Tracks never got caught or the fuckers who destroyed rock formations out in Valley of Fire never got caught. I could go on and on.

It will probably show up somewhere on social media. These people are the reason that trails get closed
Honestly, I hope it does as that might get whoever did this shit, caught. And, so that it isn't missed, this happened in Death Valley National Park and in an area that was already closed off to vehicular travel. Clearly, none of it stopped him from being a total douchbag but it will make it harder for law abiding citizens to ever visit this area again.
That shitty, I feel like these threads have become more and more common unfortunately
Trust me, it's not a feeling - it's a reality and one that I have seen get worse and worse over the years.
That’s shitty and is a definite black eye on the off-road community.
Sadly, this is the new off-road community and most of them don't give a shit.
What in the actual Fawk….people have zero common sense.
I don't think 'common sense' had anything to do with what this person did. This was clearly an act of self-important stupidness - a 'look at me' moment until it was a 'oh shit moment' and finally, fuck it, 'I'm gonna destroy everything in my path' because of what I chose to do moment.

Were older generations of wheelers in the 70's, 80's, 90's this destructive? Seems to happen a lot these days... and trash left behind.
What I can tell you is that the 70's and 80's was a very different time when it came to off roaders. In fact, the better part of the 90's were as well. First off, the vehicles were not that capable, not that big or way too big, very uncomfortable in terms of suspension and there weren't a whole lot of people getting out to remote desert locations like this if only because they didn't know about it or didn't know how to get to it. Sure, there were 'wheelers' but most were the types who'd go out to specific locations like Glamis, Moab or the Rubicon or even places like Big Bear and designated OHV areas like that. I was one of them too. But even then, it was a much smaller group of people and a far cry from what you see today. Sure, nothing was closed back then and this posed a problem in that people could and would drive anywhere and everywhere and over everything. However, I would argue that when everything was open and not as many people out and about and the ones who were all had to be very self-sufficient (as in, know how to work on their own rigs), not as much got destroyed if at all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, In my personal opinion, what changed everything was the internet. By the early 2000's, there was just so much more information available as to where you could wheel. After the introduction of the 4-door Wrangler and the rise in popularity of 'overlanding' as a whole, guys being able to have shops build up their rigs, it only got worse. Of course, social media and the 'look at me' explosion only compounded the problem. I won't even go into the SxS :rolleyes:

I seriously don't understand people. I love how the article says "we hope the responsible party comes forward so we can discuss restitution" The person who did this probably didn't even know the history behind the tower he pulled over. Idiot!
Sadly, this is probably way too true.
There are so many people who are venturing off the pavement who never would have done it before social media and COVID. Last time I was in the San Juans I kept coming across 20 something idiots in Tacos and 4runners with every imaginable piece of gear screwed to them (all of it shiny and unused) that had no business being there. 99% of them had no idea where their vehicle was on the trail and didn't know the trial etiquette. I got tired of them trying to push me over the edge. I kept having to "guide" them past me on shelf roads that weren't really that narrow. I really got tired of having to almost yell at them to get them to move the hell over! Of course then you have the SxS crowd....
Basically all of these idots, no matter what type of vehicle they drive, have never been trained and don't bother to teach themselves. The go into the back country with the same care and forethought that they use when they go to the grocery store!

I completely agree with Eddie, people suck!
Social media is when I really started to see things go to shit. The virus amped it up for sure.

What I can tell you is that the 70's and 80's was a very different time when it came to off roaders. In fact, the better part of the 90's were as well. First off, the vehicles were not that capable, not that big or way too big, very uncomfortable in terms of suspension and there weren't a whole lot of people getting out to remote desert locations like this if only because they didn't know about it or didn't know how to get to it. Sure, there were 'wheelers' but most were the types who'd go out to specific locations like Glamis, Moab or the Rubicon or even places like Big Bear and designated OHV areas like that. I was one of them too. But even then, it was a much smaller group of people and a far cry from what you see today. Sure, nothing was closed back then and this posed a problem in that people could and would drive anywhere and everywhere and over everything. However, I would argue that when everything was open and not as many people out and about and the ones who were all had to be very self-sufficient (as in, know how to work on their own rigs), not as much got destroyed if at all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, In my personal opinion, what changed everything was the internet. By the early 2000's, there was just so much more information available as to where you could wheel. After the introduction of the 4-door Wrangler and the rise in popularity of 'overlanding' as a whole, guys being able to have shops build up their rigs, it only got worse. Of course, social media and the 'look at me' explosion only compounded the problem. I won't even go into the SxS :rolleyes:
This! My dad (87) and his buddies wheeled and hunted in the wilderness all the time. They were never taught “trail etiquette” or “tread lightly” they were just conscientious and had respect for the land and others around them. There is just very little respect nowadays, for our rights, our privileges for others. It’s pretty sad.

There were and always will be dickheads, I've been wheeling since the 80's and seen it pick up over the years. Technology (internet and apps) have only compounded the problem.

toy_big_bear.jpg

(poser pic alert) Snow wheeling with the toy, pulled out a guy stuck at the end of 3N16 that day. We saw much less trash back then too, mostly beer cans. however not everyone is raised the same way, pigs will be pigs.

I went on my first “wheeling” trip with my dad in his ‘68 Bronco deer hunting in Vermont in ‘72…I was 13. My dad got a kick out of pulling stuck vehicles that slid off the road in the snow…where we were, there was a few dirt roads in the mountains that were only frequented by hunters.

This idiot had to have attached his winch line fairly high in order to pull the tower over…which makes no sense from a recovery standpoint…so I have to conclude that it was done on purpose, since one could easily stop winching when they saw the tower start to tip over…and that is worse than being an idiot

It really is a sad testament of our times. There has been such a general coarsening of our culture that really seemed to kick off in the late nineties. People seem much more prone to stupid selfish look at me stunts. Guarantee this asshat was taping all of this with the intent of sharing with friends to get laughs. Wish I lived closer it would be a great gesture for a local 4x club to volunteer to help restore the damage.

Top Bottom