PLANNING 2016 Windrock, TN - End of Summer Run

thardy

Banned
Yes, yes I realize we JUST finished this year's run, but figured what better time than now to get everyone's thoughts and suggestions for next year.

As of now, there are a few changes I am looking to make right off the bat. First, moving the date to Labor Day weekend. This would allow for a true two day event, Saturday and Sunday. Second would be a bigger park. So far, I am between Windrock and Adventure Off-road, both in TN. Third, I'd like to be able to have everyone staying somewhat together. At a place like Windrock, we could take over their campgrounds and cabins.

I also plan on having 4 group types, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Extreme. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on group sizes from this past event.

Lastly, even though this is an "east coast" run, I'd really like to get some west coast folks to join us. So, west coasters, what would entice some of you to make the trek east?

And go!

thardy

Banned
Wouldn't labor day be tougher to book rooms and camping?

Labor Day weekend for both of those parks are super busy. But either way, I'm in.

I hear ya on the busy part, but if I can do what I'm wanting to do, and we have the turnout I'm hoping for, we can try to lock up everything just for us. This is why I'm wanting to start planning now. So that I'm able to get with the parks and schedule accordingly. Labor Day might not work, but it would be nice to be able to have 2 solid days of wheeling while only taking a single day off work.

trailless

Caught the Bug
PLANNING 2016 East Coast - End of Summer Run

If we can secure a park just for WAYALIFE I think that would be awesome! With that said I think it would be easier to convince AOP to close off the park for us. Also, it being near Chattanooga, some of the folks that live further away can make a whole vacation out of the trip. A couple days wheeling and a couple days sightseeing in the city. Chattanooga really is a nice city.

If we can't secure AOP, I think Windrock would probably be the better option. Large enough for the whole group plus the Labor Day crowd. It would probably be easier to get most of the folks to stay in the same place.

For group sizes I think 10 is ideal but definitely no more than 20 jeeps in one group. It helps keep it flowing. With too large of a group you kind of feel disconnected from the other people a few jeeps in front and behind.

Grubbicon

PLANNING 2016 East Coast - End of Summer Run

I personally think windrock would be the best options. That place is huge and can get as hard as one wants. I will say if its labor day I would definitely avoid that park though.

I also think that anymore then 10-15 rigs in harder trails can take a long time in a trail causing less wheeling time.

EDIT: I will also say that I like the idea of everyone staying in one spot.

Last edited:

hhunter050

Fine with either! I wasn't in the other groups but I personally thought that the hard groups size was perfect. Had time to watch everybody but didn't feel like we were there forever. (Sorry to the people who watched me attempt the same obstacle 15 times) but that was really the longest part and it was daniel so I felt like it was expectex

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Hot Damn! Well, I agree that it we can't get a park locked down just for us, it would be better to do it at a park that can accommodate everyone and the Labor day crowd.

Windrock gets my vote. :yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Windrock is my vote as well. And as mentioned Labor Day weekend would be a cluster fuck.

Oh and this is only an east coast run due to the location otherwise all are welcome!!!! Yes panda that means you better get your ass out here

bsimon187

I am game for either- but another name to throw out there would be Harlan in KY. Big park and lots of diverse trails like Windrock.

thardy

Banned
Also I think that a CB and F/R tow points should be a requirement.

Agreed!

Windrock is my vote as well. And as mentioned Labor Day weekend would be a cluster fuck.

Oh and this is only an east coast run due to the location otherwise all are welcome!!!! Yes panda that means you better get your ass out here

So, if we didn't do Labor Day, we would probably have to do end of July to keep those with kids in school able to come without too much of an issue.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I personally think windrock would be the best options. That place is huge and can get as hard as one wants. I will say if its labor day I would definitely avoid that park though.

I also think that anymore then 10-15 rigs in harder trails can take a long time in a trail causing less wheeling time.

EDIT: I will also say that I like the idea of everyone staying in one spot.

we need to find you a vertical wall of ice to climb.

TwistedJK

We're down for whatever you guys pick. I don't have much experience outside of this state in regards to off-road parks, so we'll just take your word for it. Having everyone stay at the same place would be awesome too. Just know whatever the decision is, you can count us in!

dchotrod

Trevor, have you had a chance to contact either park to see what the magic lock down number might be (if they have one)?
Agreed on cb & tow points.
Group sizes of 10 would probably be ideal but 15ish worked well this weekend.
Thanks for remembering the family folks too.

Top Bottom