Project Blue Jeep

Elroy231

Thanks, just have to install more things to plug into it now.

If you don’t overbuild things, are you even jeepin? How’s your long arm project coming along

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
I should have the front done within a couple weeks. Thats my goal anyway. Then on to axel swapping.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Winter prep continues.

Heated seat install, seen here.

DIY: TJ Heated Seats and Cushion Repair
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=60650

I finally got around to fixing this bumpers design error, the opening for the cable / rope is too thin and even with a roller or a hawse it scrapes so I cut it off and repainted it. Had I used a synthetic rope it would have snapped for sure. So that’s fixed. Rewired the interior winch control to the solenoid box, been meaning to do that for awhile.
IMG_9452.jpg
IMG_9453.jpg

Then I did the water pump as it started dripping over summer. This was a gigantic pain in the ass, I dont remember it being this annoying on the last Jeep. Heater hose wouldn’t come off. Then I snapped the plastic shroud. But damnit there’s a brand new one In There now and nothing leaks.
62500523227__5B407930-ABB1-4747-9394-1D9B2167CB5D.jpg
IMG_9593.jpg

Been getting the p0420 code, cat inefficiency bank one. I just replaced that banks rear o2 sensor so that’s annoying. Picked up some spark plug non foulers and we’ll see if I can ghetto fix that light.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’ve been productive!

I’m just realllly not a fan of fixing things in the snow.

Spark plug “non foulers”
IMG_9601.jpg

Drill one to 1/2”
IMG_9603.jpg
IMG_9604.jpg
IMG_9605.jpg

And back in she goes to the after cat, codes cleared and we shall see if it stays off.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

BaddestCross

I’m just realllly not a fan of fixing things in the snow.

Spark plug “non foulers”
View attachment 354756

Drill one to 1/2”
View attachment 354757
View attachment 354758
View attachment 354759

And back in she goes to the after cat, codes cleared and we shall see if it stays off.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you hope that will accomplish?

Asking because I have cat codes to deal with here pretty soon.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you hope that will accomplish?

Asking because I have cat codes to deal with here pretty soon.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

First, I live in a state with no inspections.
Second, this fixes nothing.
Third, it’s likely illegal but who cares.

Supposedly, according to the internet, this spaces the tip of the sensor out of the stream of exhaust which causes it to read differently. While still allowing it to act and cycle normally. This will “trick” the computer to think that the cat is working better than it is, allowing the light to stay off. This is for the rear o2 sensors that do nothing but monitor cats, for codes that are only related to cat efficiency. If you’ve got real cat problems this won’t do anything for you. I think my particular issue was I replaced the rear o2 sensor as it was actually bad, but I did not replace the pre cat sensor so I think it’s just not playing nice.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

Supposedly, according to the internet, this spaces the tip of the sensor out of the stream of exhaust which causes it to read differently. While still allowing it to act and cycle normally. This will “trick” the computer to think that the cat is working better than it is, allowing the light to stay off. This is for the rear o2 sensors that do nothing but monitor cats, for codes that are only related to cat efficiency. If you’ve got real cat problems this won’t do anything for you. I think my particular issue was I replaced the rear o2 sensor as it was actually bad, but I did not replace the pre cat sensor so I think it’s just not playing nice.

I forgot to mention, these things seem to only like the Bosch o2 sensors from my experience and that of a few others. So there’s that lol

I forgot to mention, these things seem to only like the Bosch o2 sensors from my experience and that of a few others. So there’s that lol

That's interesting, my research suggest the opposite. They say to never put a Bosch in a Jeep. I used NTK, which is the one everyone recommends. I really think the issue is the original one I left in the pre cat that the computer is comparing values against and I don't feel like fighting a 160k old michigan winter o2 sensor again unless I have to, and to be honest the next time I touch exhaust Its likely coming off for fun parts.

Also could just be the cat not working great anymore... haha. Either way, $5 later we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
That's interesting, my research suggest the opposite. They say to never put a Bosch in a Jeep. I used NTK, which is the one everyone recommends. I really think the issue is the original one I left in the pre cat that the computer is comparing values against and I don't feel like fighting a 160k old michigan winter o2 sensor again unless I have to, and to be honest the next time I touch exhaust Its likely coming off for fun parts.

Also could just be the cat not working great anymore... haha. Either way, $5 later we'll see what happens.

Weird haha might as well just keep clearing the code with a Jscan or obdfusion app and keep on keepin on [emoji1591]

BaddestCross

Perfect. That's exactly what I needed to know. [emoji106]

I'm gonna be replacing my manifolds and probably cats here soon so I was curious.

--

Perfect. That's exactly what I needed to know. [emoji106]

I'm gonna be replacing my manifolds and probably cats here soon so I was curious.

--

Yeah it’s honestly just to turn off the light. I’m told in some state inspections that it fools them , but anyone that knows what an oxygen sensor looks like will spot it. I’m not messing with the exhaust until the head comes off for a rebuild. Then maybe it’ll get a header back. This will be my first Jeep ever that the engine light will be normally “off” instead of on. 🤣

Kuboske

This thread is interesting. You get into everything. Cutting, torching, welding, painting, wiring, (I hate wiring), clutch install...
My old YJ has that 4.0, lifter rattle. Has had for, like 8 years. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Don't think it will heal itself.
My theory is to just run it. Maybe really worry if it goes away.
Keep posting your work. It should give me something to read, during lunch.

Kuboske

Oh, yeah, this too. I just drove my 2000, TJ. Lit up with a P0138, code. I think that has to do with the same thing. High voltage oxy sensor, cat.
I'd like to knock the cat off of the thing since I'm in a no insp. State.
How would you deal with both sensors if you run no converter?

Oh, yeah, this too. I just drove my 2000, TJ. Lit up with a P0138, code. I think that has to do with the same thing. High voltage oxy sensor, cat.

Unplug the check engine lightbulb from gauge.

Your first code isn’t cat efficiency it’s a bad o2 sensor. Which will cause the engine to drink more gas.

Ole blue got a windshield today. So clear! I think I’m gonna quick rain x it before I drive it and hope it stays pretty.
IMG_9721.jpg

Elroy231

My Tj is a 99, I did the cat delete. I did not remove the sensors and no check engine light has come on from this. Been about a year.

My Tj is a 99, I did the cat delete. I did not remove the sensors and no check engine light has come on from this. Been about a year.

That’s interesting, you sure the bulb didn’t burn out? Lol. Did it have the single cat or the dual? I removed the cat on my 97 (single cat) technically I left it and hollowed it out completely, and that always had the light on until I removed the bulb.

WJCO

Meme King

Years ago, a buddy of mine removed a cat. He left the pre cat o2 sensor installed and he plugged the post cat o2 hole with a threaded plug. Then he took the post cat o2 sensor and zip tied it up to the frame somewhere so it was reading ambient air with no hydrocarbons. He had no light and no issues, lol.

Years ago, a buddy of mine removed a cat. He left the pre cat o2 sensor installed and he plugged the post cat o2 hole with a threaded plug. Then he took the post cat o2 sensor and zip tied it up to the frame somewhere so it was reading ambient air with no hydrocarbons. He had no light and no issues, lol.

Ive heard stories like this and i don’t think it works on anything remotely modern because it throws a circuit high voltage code, it needs ‘some’ exhaust to read. Wish it was that easy.

Elroy231

That’s interesting, you sure the bulb didn’t burn out? Lol. Did it have the single cat or the dual? I removed the cat on my 97 (single cat) technically I left it and hollowed it out completely, and that always had the light on until I removed the bulb.

Single cat. Bulb does work for sure.

Top Bottom