Pulling a hybrid camper

denver98

I’m wanting to pull a 2015 Jayco X17z camper with my 2dr 2016 JK with the factory tow package. The max weight of the camper is 3,500lbs. I would think that I’d be ok. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience pulling something like this with a 2dr.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’m wanting to pull a 2015 Jayco X17z camper with my 2dr 2016 JK with the factory tow package. The max weight of the camper is 3,500lbs. I would think that I’d be ok. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience pulling something like this with a 2dr.

Max towing capacity rating on a 2 door is 2000lbs.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ok guys, here’s a shot of the manual. It looks more like the gears are more important than the doors. :) IMG_7978.jpg. So let’s just assume I can pull 3,500 pounds.

Has anyone pulled a high sided camper or trailer with a JK?

Ok guys, here’s a shot of the manual. It looks more like the gears are more important than the doors. :) View attachment 307276. So let’s just assume I can pull 3,500 pounds.

Has anyone pulled a high sided camper or trailer with a JK?

Lol. Alrighty then. They upped the rating for the 2 door in the last couple years. That's awesome. 🍻

So now, if the trailer's dry weight is 3500lbs, you still *shouldn't* get that one unless you don't plan on carrying any gear, food, water, etc.

Not that it couldn't tow it, just that if you were ever in an accident and your insurance company did the math, they'd have an out and the other guy could sue you into oblivion.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

What I could find online and in talking to the owner, the max weight of the trailer is 3500lbs.

My concern is...how much of a stability difference will I have vs a regular pop up. (That also has a max weight of 3,500lbs).

What I could find online and in talking to the owner, the max weight of the trailer is 3500lbs.

My concern is...how much of a stability difference will I have vs a regular pop up. (That also has a max weight of 3,500lbs).

I would be concerned about getting squirrelly towing that much behind a short wheel base. However, that being said, I would get a load-balancing hitch for sure and watch my speed in the hills and the wind.

I've never towed with my Jeep, but I've seen guys tow crazier things with a 2 door.

If you do it, report back how it goes. 😃

--

Do you have any heavy mods on your jeep? Such as bumpers? Larger tires? That will add into how hard your Jeep will work as well.

I just recently towed a heavily loaded moving trailer from Florida to Montana and wished I had regeared before the move, especially when we hit the hills and mountains... we have heavy bumpers, skid plates, 35s and also have 3.73s. I never want to tow again with my Jeep until I regear.

Manual will certainly be to your benefit, I had a hard time keeping a consistent gear on any inclines.

Last edited:
Even if they raised the tow limit on a 2 door, I wouldn’t tow a trailer that size. Believe me, I’ve towed a trailer that size with a 4 door. The Jeep is too short. If that trailer sways just a bit, you may find yourself in the ditch.

You do what you think is best, though.

I pull a pop up behind my 2 door and I can definitely tell it is back there. It’s only 1300 pounds and that’s without adding in all the crap we take with it. Do what you want to do, but I wouldn’t be comfortable towing what you are proposing.

I have a 2 door. The limit is 2000lbs. The 3500 with gearing is referring to the 4 door JKU. They use the same manual for both JK and JKU.

All of that said, with 4.10 gears and bone stock everything else, I towed my old camper (~3500lbs). In a straight line I was fine. Slow as a slug and about 6-7mpg, but still ok. The first curvy road I hit I thought I would need to change my pants. My poor JK was getting pushed all over the palace because of its short wheelbase. I managed to get to where I was going, white knuckling it the whole way, but got my wife to bring out our pickup to tow back home. Never again. Keep in mind the trailer has a load leveling hitch and anti-sway bars and it was still bad. I am seriously surprised I didn’t get into a wreck.

I have subsequently towed a few <2000lb trailers without any issues. 3500 is WAY too much for a JK.

The Jeep just isn’t meant to be a tow vehicle. If you haven’t bought the camper, I’d pass on it. If you have it already, maybe consider a different tow vehicle or sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2 door. The limit is 2000lbs. The 3500 with gearing is referring to the 4 door JKU. They use the same manual for both JK and JKU.

All of that said, with 4.10 gears and bone stock everything else, I towed my old camper (~3500lbs). In a straight line I was fine. Slow as a slug and about 6-7mpg, but still ok. The first curvy road I hit I thought I would need to change my pants. My poor JK was getting pushed all over the palace because of its short wheelbase. I managed to get to where I was going, white knuckling it the whole way, but got my wife to bring out our pickup to tow back home. Never again. Keep in mind the trailer has a load leveling hitch and anti-sway bars and it was still bad. I am seriously surprised I didn’t get into a wreck.

I have subsequently towed a few <2000lb trailers without any issues. 3500 is WAY too much for a JK.

The Jeep just isn’t meant to be a tow vehicle. If you haven’t bought the camper, I’d pass on it. If you have it already, maybe consider a different tow vehicle or sell it.

this was true in the past. they updated the manual around 2014/15 to reflect an increase on the JK. i still wouldn't do it.

this was true in the past. they updated the manual around 2014/15 to reflect an increase on the JK. i still wouldn't do it.

My JK Rubicon Hard Rock a 2016. Update or not, even 2000lbs is questionable. Especially with any kind of lift or oversized tires.

I'm with the rest - Don't do it. However, if you're a typical guy and decide to ignore our advice one thing I would HIGHLY recommend is upgrading your brakes. Not just a pad upgrade, I'd do a Dynatrac Big Brake kit. If you've never experienced brakes overheating going down a hill all I can say is that it's something to be avoided at all costs. :eek:

It will move it, but I wouldn’t drive over 50 mph with a 2 door. Yes, I have towed with a JKU. I pulled this from Mississippi to California, and back. It weighs 2800 dry.

IMG_0116.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_9905.jpg

Top Bottom