Question about backspacing/rear sway bar

JK07

I have been searching for an answer to this and can't seem to find a solution for my specific set up. So here it goes, with background first:
I was pulled over today locally in PA and given a verbal warning about my tires sticking out too far beyond my fenders. My shop added 2" Spydertrax spacers when they installed my EVO bolt-on coil over kit because the rear sway bar link was hitting the tire. My wheels are Mickey Thompson Classic II and based on specs I found online, they have a -12 offset, or roughly 4.5" backspacing. I am running 35" 12.5" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I have the Bushwacker flares that are supposedly stock width. It definitely has a wide stance. I have been running this set up for about a year and have had no grief until today.
If I switch to the new KMC Machete XD229's or Slabs, will I be tucking my tires in any substantial amount? Will I still have the spacing issue with the sway bar link? Will the 3.5" backspacing help to reduce the extra-wide look or will I need to figure something else out? Annoying PA laws...
Help me justify the wheel upgrade as the solution to my problem! HA!

dunstan74

Not exactly, if your running 4.5 bs with 2" spacers your currently at 2.5"bs

Slabs with 3.5" will bring your tyres in 1" from there current position

Sent from my SM-G900I using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If I read his post correctly, he has 4.5" bs wheels & is running 2" wheel spacers, so that's 2.5", right?

Edit: dunstan beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SPOOOBY

You could buy extra wide flares if you like the Wide look. I have 35x12.5 bfg on 17/8 wheels with 3.5 back spacing and no problems,with extra wide fenders i put 1.5" wheel spacers to make mine flush with the fenders

If your not living and having fun,your dead already

JK07

West York area. He was a township cop so I'm sure he will be on the lookout for me. I'm thinking maybe I'll go with the wide Poison Spyder flares. New wheels will only net me about 1" of change. While there is debate about the fender "flare" law in PA, I'm thinking it's less likely they will know that was changed. He didn't seem to know that my flares weren't stock.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom