Rattle after lift kit install

J

JKDream

I would be doing a suspension lift. That said, are you suggesting I take a look at a new drive shaft over creating more space by moving/dealing with the exhaust?

Any concerns with spacers? Seems like an easier install. I don't mind cutting the exhaust, as instructed to install the Rancho kit, but you only get one shot to get it right.

Spacers are missing the point. Your slip-joint boot will contact, and that's fine - the driveshaft will not become unusable if the boot tears.
The main reason why spacers aren't good is because it doesn't solve the angle of which your driveshaft will be sitting at.
When you lift, your axle rotates and angles become steeper, this causes the CV joint to be constantly stressed and eventually wears out.
Regardless of an exhaust spacer, this still happens. When the CV boot tears, you will lose all of your grease in the unit, and it will eventually seize.

ktcred

Spacers are missing the point. Your slip-joint boot will contact, and that's fine - the driveshaft will not become unusable if the boot tears.
The main reason why spacers aren't good is because it doesn't solve the angle of which your driveshaft will be sitting at.
When you lift, your axle rotates and angles become steeper, this causes the CV joint to be constantly stressed and eventually wears out.
Regardless of an exhaust spacer, this still happens. When the CV boot tears, you will lose all of your grease in the unit, and it will eventually seize.

That makes complete sense. So, I see it that I have several options: 1) get a spacer now and then wait for the driveshaft needs replacing 2) replace the driveshaft now and leave the exhaust as-is. What are your thoughts on this Dana Spicer 1310 driveshaft: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52300_0046_07.htm

Assuming I don't need the Yoke and Hardware, the driveshaft is $420, which is a net difference of roughly $360 ($420 - $60 spacer/extension kit). Since I plan doing a self-install, I can justify the extra spend (i.e, this is still cheaper than bringing to a professional installer).

I'm I going to cheap with this driveshaft (it is the cheapest on Quadratec) and will it meet my needs for a 2.5" lift?

Big thanks for everyone's help.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
That makes complete sense. So, I see it that I have several options: 1) get a spacer now and then wait for the driveshaft needs replacing 2) replace the driveshaft now and leave the exhaust as-is. What are your thoughts on this Dana Spicer 1310 driveshaft: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52300_0046_07.htm

Assuming I don't need the Yoke and Hardware, the driveshaft is $420, which is a net difference of roughly $360 ($420 - $60 spacer/extension kit). Since I plan doing a self-install, I can justify the extra spend (i.e, this is still cheaper than bringing to a professional installer).

I'm I going to cheap with this driveshaft (it is the cheapest on Quadratec) and will it meet my needs for a 2.5" lift?

Big thanks for everyone's help.

If your only nets 2.5" your driveshaft angle will still be ok and won't cause the joint to fail. So you can go cheap for now like I did and do the shaft later.

If you actually get 3" or more lift than you're gonna have a problem with the stock driveshaft joint so you're better off going straight to a new 1350 shaft. Don't waste your money on a 1310s they are weaker than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom