RCCRWLR build (retroactive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rccrwlr

Grrrrr. Clutch is making noise! Crap. Taking it for diag on Tuesday. Needs to be ready for Oct 3rd Rubicon trip

--rccrwlr.

To wrap this up. Jeep has been at the transmission shop and the owner has been working on it. He found a totally unrelated issue. Good news is the clutch and transmission is great. He even complimented the T19 swap. Bad news is the vacuum line that was going to the throttle body from the canister was the wrong type of hose (my bad) and under heat was collapsing causing a whistling noise. If you ever need a great transmission shop in Rocklin let me know and I will hook you up. Guy diagnosed the problem, installed a new hose and did it all go free! Told me to let everyone I know the service I got and that is good enough for him!!

Now on to the sliders
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410406808.402461.jpg

and heat shield

--rccrwlr.

Rccrwlr

Yup you better get that thing ready for the rubicon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Trying. Runs good, shifts good, need some misc CB stuff, need to take out back seat, need to install sliders, pack and bam! Ready

--rccrwlr.

Trying. Runs good, shifts good, need some misc CB stuff, need to take out back seat, need to install sliders, pack and bam! Ready

--rccrwlr.

Ya that's good. I have the psc hydro assist to install first. It's in the garage

Rccrwlr

It's been a busy bit or work trying to get Rccrwlr ready for October fun
Got a set of sliders to help protect the rockers.

Some shots of fitting them and getting the hole drilled.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704471.473125.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704485.636860.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704501.786039.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704525.567095.jpg

The sliders use a 3/8" self tapping bolt. Based on the data the mfg sent over, the self tapping bolt actually has a higher torque before failure point.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704575.671693.jpg

Final fitment done
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704670.523410.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704684.403565.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704697.334433.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704709.823409.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704727.390157.jpg

Time for some paint
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704770.240245.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704782.183304.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704795.799363.jpg

And all installed and ready for some rocks! They came out good. I don't have a lot to reference from but I am impressed with the build quality and figment on the Jeep. I hope to compare with a few others very soon.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704813.472196.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704824.987828.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704838.085017.jpg

Cb installed and some tie downs added for gear.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411705038.099866.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411705006.086177.jpg

I took the backseat out so we had more room for gear.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411705143.392896.jpg

--rccrwlr.

Rccrwlr

So as the one person that follows this thread knows, I have been having problems with vapor lock. So we bought some heat fabric to help reflect some of the heat away from the fuel pump and filter. This didn't work as well as we had hoped so I took it upon my self to built a heat shield.

I used 1/8" aluminum plate and created this
View attachment 102399
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411706153.798086.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411706168.542191.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411706186.458954.jpg

I added the second layer so there was no direct contact with the hot part of the shield.

Installed you can see the heat fabric wraps also.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411706257.442173.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411706269.659084.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411706304.138462.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411706324.579970.jpg

It's been relatively cool around town so I can't truly test the heat shield but at this point if I still have vapor lock issues we will have to relocate the pump and filter elsewhere.

So I think we are ready to Oct. Just a few trip items needed and a CB tune and we are a go Huston!

--rccrwlr.

Rccrwlr

So lets recap last weekends Rubicon Trip.

Vapor locked twice! Even with the heat wrap and heat shield.
Made it from start to finish.
Winch Works.
Lockers Work.
Fuel Injection on that type of trail is SWEEET!
Had a GREAT Time.

Damage report.
Destroyed front tie rod (they were factory 1979 anyway)
Destroyed front drag link (they were factory 1979 anyway)
Popped all of the pop rivets on the passenger side rocker diamond plate
Sheared off the driver rear shock form the leaf spring plate
destroyed the driver rear shock (its was 18 years old anyway)
Pushed the exhaust y into the front drive shaft and split the pipe at the passenger manifold
Bent both passenger and driver body seams when the sliders pushed into the body (3/4 in movement due to hard hit)

Repairs
New exhaust / muffler with cat removed and y pipe connecting behind the transfer case inside the skid.
New drag and tie rods on the way from Big Daddy Offroad. 1" to replace the 1/2 and 3/4 factory hardware.
new rear leaf spring plates from Warrior products with u-bolt sliders and replaceable shock mounts.
4 new Rancho shocks - thanks to Rancho for helping with the selection.
Found rust under the rocker diamond plate so i need to fix that prior to putting it back on.

I think that's about it. But i have one more thing to say. For all of you that are thinking that the Rubicon Trail is easy and even a stock JKU can make it, i say Try it!. We took most bypasses and because of the track of the CJ we could go around or between obstacles that the bigger rigs had to go over. it was stressful, exhausting, relentless and i had one of the best times of my life. The WAL group was supportive, excited and didn't complain one bit when we took a lot longer getting through than the Coil Over JKU's did. There is a reason most of the Jeeps that navigate this trail have 3+ inches of lift and min 35" tires. ITS NEEDED!!

Some day we will return, better prepared, and better equipped. Until then let me know if you have a spare seat, would love to do this a passenger!

bkac

Caught the Bug
Awesome report! You did amazing and we were so glad to have you and your CJ! Great times ahead and maybe we can wheel the Prius again soon! :thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Panda

Winch Works.
Lockers Work.
Had a GREAT Time.

Damage report.
Pushed the exhaust y into the front drive shaft and split the pipe at the passenger manifold
Bent both passenger and driver body seams when the sliders pushed into the body (3/4 in movement due to hard hit)

Repairs
New exhaust / muffler with cat removed and y pipe connecting behind the transfer case inside the skid.
New drag and tie rods on the way from Big Daddy Offroad. 1" to replace the 1/2 and 3/4 factory hardware.
new rear leaf spring plates from Warrior products with u-bolt sliders and replaceable shock mounts.
Found rust under the rocker diamond plate so i need to fix that prior to putting it back on.

I think that's about it. But i have one more thing to say. For all of you that are thinking that the Rubicon Trail is easy and even a stock JKU can make it, i say Try it!. We took most bypasses and because of the track of the CJ we could go around or between obstacles that the bigger rigs had to go over. it was stressful, exhausting, relentless and i had one of the best times of my life. The WAL group was supportive, excited and didn't complain one bit when we took a lot longer getting through than the Coil Over JKU's did. There is a reason most of the Jeeps that navigate this trail have 3+ inches of lift and min 35" tires. ITS NEEDED!!

Some day we will return, better prepared, and better equipped. Until then let me know if you have a spare seat, would love to do this a passenger!

Way to go Brendon! aside from all it threw at you, you conquered the rubicon! I'm glad you were there with us my friend :thumb:

Winch Works.
Lockers Work.
Had a GREAT Time.

Damage report.

Repairs

You no your always welcome to be a passenger in my jeep. We all had a great time together.

Rccrwlr

You no your always welcome to be a passenger in my jeep. We all had a great time together.

Way to go Brendon! aside from all it threw at you, you conquered the rubicon! I'm glad you were there with us my friend :thumb:

Awesome report! You did amazing and we were so glad to have you and your CJ! Great times ahead and maybe we can wheel the Prius again soon! :thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks guys! Posted a bunch of pics in the thread

Rccrwlr

Just to consolidate the pics here for build reference
IMG_0634.jpg
Front Track Bar and Drag link

_TRP8496.jpg
Drag Link Before trail repair

_TRP8517.jpg
Drag Link after trail repair. (Note - Bring lots of steel pipe and a cutoff grinder wheel to sleeve as needed)

IMG_0652.jpg
Track bar and Drag Link trail repaired

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg
Shock damage. Look close you can see the mount stud still in the bushing

2014-10-07 18.46.30.jpg
Body damage from the slider when i hit hard coming down a ledge. I think i also need to stop that rust hiding under the paint!!

Last edited:

Rccrwlr

Track bar and drag link to be here Friday. Rear shocks and spring plates came in today. Had to put the front tires back on so I could use the jack stands to get the spring plates on. Got the spring plates on and went to put my nice new Rancho RS5000 shocks on and bam! New muffler hanger welded right in the way. Crap! View attachment 105600
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413439721.120197.jpg

Can't drive until Friday sometime when the track bar and drag link come in and I get them installed. Jeep has to be ready to leave on Saturday! Hope the muffler shop is open late Friday or opens early Sat!

--rccrwlr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom