Rear Axel Failure!!

CH10

They're not made in El Paso, just a couple of guys in El Paso that have had the problem. No warranty coverage for either one, both ended up being insurance claims.

Kavanji

I just looked at the welds on my axle and they look like my welding: horribal!
can i just drill them out (obviously not all the way through) and have a good welder re-weld them?

36Fan

I ordered a 14 JKUR and waited 8 weeks for it. Picked it up the day it arrived at the dealer and I'm amazed how shitty the quality control is on these Dana axles. Rust everywhere, paint runs where they did apply it. Plug welds are terrible. Disappointing for sure.

hickey800

So I was going to pick up a 2014 jeep this June but after reading this I just wonder should I not like should I be worried about this situation with the weld quality ???

TheStick

It could probably be an 80% failure rate and most of us would still buy and just put in a D60 :D

This is crazy though, first I've seen.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm still not convinced it's a jeep issue. It's do to wheeling and speed. When it's proven to be an issue from Chrysler I'll believe it.

CH10

The quality control on my 14 is crap too. Ugly welds on the axle, paint runs and missing paint, tape in the rear wheel wells that was painted over. I'm tearing it apart so none of that matters to me but it does to most people so it's amazing that they actually shipped it out that way.

Last edited:

GeckoBCBen

I had this happen to me in my 2012 on 37's. I was on a small dirt hill. The dealer replaced on warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_7735.JPG
    IMG_7735.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_7743.JPG
    IMG_7743.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 418

rogerdspe

This also happened to me too in Moab two years ago. I have a 2012 and it was on 37"s at the time. I wasn't getting after it too hard at the time. Mine was odd, because only the right axle tube spun. I was able to get towed off Hell's Revenge using front wheel drive, and I actually spun the tub back around using a ginormous pipe wrench with a cheater bar attached to it. I then put the hi lift jack on the end of the bar and was able to spin it back around. I then rewelded the plug welds and welded the axle tubes. I've since moved on to dynatracs...no sense throwing good money after bad imo.

I don't have a shot of the pumpkin, but it wasted the rear lower control arm. Control Arm.jpg

Last edited:

Hell_Fire

Birth Of The Demon Hunter!!!

After a few weeks of investigation from my insurance and obviously Jeep, my insurance finally agreed to pay the damage (thank you Momentum you rock \m/ \m/, (no warranty claim apparently on 6” lift and 37s from Jeep SA ha ha ha ).

So from all the investigations and people looking into this particular axle failure some other issues came to light on the suspension, none that added to the damage caused by the incident but things that could pose serious problems later.

So now I was at a cross road, what do I do…………

After measuring up everything that needs to be fixed and getting some expert advice from a number of guys including our local JK Guru Shane from JKA. We decided on a game plan that would pretty much transform the old beast into a whole new creature.

The transformation has already started a week ago and will be done by a joint venture between JKA and Synergy South Africa.

Keep an eye out for progress reports, I will try my best to document the whole new rebuild and where possible post before and after pics.

THE HUNTER IS COMING!!!!!

It happend to me on friday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1402548735566.jpg
    1402548735566.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 1402548747153.jpg
    1402548747153.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 143

Hell_Fire

Yup 37's its a 2013 jkur. Just ordered a prorock 60 though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok Cool, Kinda glad to see its not just the 2012 JKUR's that has the issue :D
Prorock is the way to go but for me here in good old South Africa not gonna happen, it will cost me a fortune to ship it here :eek: so we just going to bullet proof the D44 as much as we can.

Top Bottom