Rear brakes or something worse?

desertrunner

Anyone know what would cause that? It smells horrible burning smell. And everything is black. I imagine it's been going for a while now but did I just get a bad bearing or what?
The E brake stuff all looks fine at least from what I can tell

WJCO

Meme King
Anyone know what would cause that? It smells horrible burning smell. And everything is black. I imagine it's been going for a while now but did I just get a bad bearing or what?
The E brake stuff all looks fine at least from what I can tell
Based on the condition of the remaining rollers, it's been going on for awhile. How many miles on that axle? Either a bad bearing, not pressed on properly, or axle shaft not torqued down all the way.

WJCO

Meme King
Also look at the outer race condition. It's probably in the end of the axle tube housing.

desertrunner

Based on the condition of the remaining rollers, it's been going on for awhile. How many miles on that axle? Either a bad bearing, not pressed on properly, or axle shaft not torqued down all the way.
Also look at the outer race condition. It's probably in the end of the axle tube housing.
Id say the shafts have 4-5K miles on them i really dont drive it much.
they came pessed on from dynatrac, the shop that did my re gear put them in and all the bolts still have to torque marker on it so IDK i guess bad luck on the bearing. Sure glad this happened in town and not on a trip.

Not much left I the axle tube 20211113_123003.jpg

desertrunner

What the heck. 5,000 miles? How many wheeling trips?
2 dozen or so

i called dynatrac they said yeah sorry no warranty because i have had them for like 4 years but they suspect dirt got in the seal and ate it up... i highly doubt that based on the look of things but hey at least bearings are relatively cheap and i have friends with a press so i guess ill get it fixed soon ish

Colorado4x4

2 dozen or so

i called dynatrac they said yeah sorry no warranty because i have had them for like 4 years but they suspect dirt got in the seal and ate it up... i highly doubt that based on the look of things but hey at least bearings are relatively cheap and i have friends with a press so i guess ill get it fixed soon ish
This past summer my stock rear shafts bearings were going bad as I found oil leaking at the hubs. My Jeep was still under warranty so the dealer pulled both rear shafts and replaced the bearing, race and seals. Well, a couple thousand miles later and a few wheeling trips and the driver side bearing failed! So I installed chromoly shafts. There had to have been something wrong with the new bearings the dealer installed for them to fail so quickly.

desertrunner

With the mentioned oil level looks low there was a little bit in the bottom of the tubes not much though. It does have a dynatrac diff cover so it's possible I didn't fill it enough when I did the re fill after the new gears.
Just in case I am going to pull the other shaft too and check that bearing while I'm at it. The auto hobby shop here on base has a press so hopefully I can get it done soon ish

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
With the mentioned oil level looks low there was a little bit in the bottom of the tubes not much though. It does have a dynatrac diff cover so it's possible I didn't fill it enough when I did the re fill after the new gears.
Just in case I am going to pull the other shaft too and check that bearing while I'm at it. The auto hobby shop here on base has a press so hopefully I can get it done soon ish
What Base are you at?

desertrunner

Well the other side had plenty of oil. I clearly wasnt ready thinking it was gonna be dry too haha. I think my garage just isn't that level. The drivers side is on the drain side. I'm still going to drain the diff and re fill once I get the bearings done
20211212_203108.jpg

Top Bottom