Rear D44 mishap...

Rusty

The more pictures we get the better the chances are for it all being covered by warranty.. so if you have any of your breaks the easier it will be for his dealer to deal with Chrysler Canada.

Anyone have a pic of what these welds should look like? Mine seem ok but would like to document it now if they are not.

Front Driver
2014-07-18 12.41.07.jpg

Front Passenger
2014-07-18 12.41.47.jpg

Rear Passenger
2014-07-18 12.41.14.jpg

Rear Driver
2014-07-18 12.41.39.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler
You can try to knock out the booger of a weld that's in there now, clean up the hole the best you can and then have a proper rosette weld burned in. That would help out a lot.

I've been thinking of doing this. I noticed my rear axles rosettes are pretty shitty. Not much weld and does not inspire much confidence.

I've been thinking of doing this. I noticed my rear axles rosettes are pretty shitty. Not much weld and does not inspire much confidence.

If you no someone with a mig welder I read an article that with special wire you can have the axle housing welded all the way around the pumpkin. It would never break then

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
If you no someone with a mig welder I read an article that with special wire you can have the axle housing welded all the way around the pumpkin. It would never break then

I have one. What article? I would be interested in reading what it has to say.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I have one. What article? I would be interested in reading what it has to say.

The problem is trying to weld two different metals. The pumpkin cools faster and sometimes the weld pops or tings. To be honest Frank, I've been worried about this and even considered the artec rear truss. Pro rock 60 isn't in the budget quite yet. I'm going to try to weld mine some day. I've also heard you should heat the pumpkin up first with some heat, but worried I'll fry the seals.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I also think rust plays a part in this, these axles aren't painted very good and if you see rust on the rosette welds, it could accelerate the problem of the crappy welds.
Edit, if you look at the pictures a few posts back, this is a fairly new jeep, and rust is already present at the welds

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, I think we need to clarify that what we are seeing in the factory Dana 44 rear axles are basic "plug" welds and not really "rosettes" at all. Second, to see what a true rosette weld looks like, you can see one being made in our building of a ProRock 80 video.

First off, I think we need to clarify that what we are seeing in the factory Dana 44 rear axles are basic "plug" welds and not really "rosettes" at all. Second, to see what a true rosette weld looks like, you can see one being made in our building of a ProRock 80 video.

Ya I just got done watching that. And it looks much different then the factory 44

2013CGJKU

Negative you can't do it with yours.

It's metal. Why couldn't it be welded? It's a pretty simple process. Use high silicon wire and throw a thick ass blanket over the welds to keep the whole thing from cooling too quickly. No more welds breaking during the cool down.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's metal. Why couldn't it be welded? It's a pretty simple process. Use high silicon wire and throw a thick ass blanket over the welds to keep the whole thing from cooling too quickly. No more welds breaking during the cool down.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

I didn't say it can't be done, it had been. I said HE couldn't do it with HIS welder.

Top Bottom