RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

10frank9

Web Wheeler
1. 4x4play need his own thread

2. He is still logged on, must be waiting for Emperor Eddie to respond

3. I'm no detective but anyone who signs up with a screen name of 4 by foreplay has to be a "serious wheeler"

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

3. I'm no detective but anyone who signs up with a screen name of 4 by foreplay has to be a "serious wheeler"

He is a troll. Trying to get a rise out of people here since he can't get a rise out of himself and his shitty life.

Armydog

On a side note, I got 20' of chain today. Going to pick up some hooks at granger and throw it in the back of the pumpkin. Thought about hanging it around the front bumper but that would be way to redneck and the chain would get nasty and rusty... so in the recovery bag it will go.....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

10frank9

Web Wheeler
On a side note, I got 20' of chain today. Going to pick up some hooks at granger and throw it in the back of the pumpkin. Thought about hanging it around the front bumper but that would be way to redneck and the chain would get nasty and rusty... so in the recovery bag it will go.....

Get any D rings to use when pulling using 2 straps? :cheesy:

Tigrcky

http://www.legionlandrover.com/manuales/4wd%20recovery_how%20to%20join%20recovery%20straps.pdf[/url]

Kudos to TreyJK, the only other intelligent life in this thread. you were 100% bang on and thank you for stepping up. You are a true Jeeper and wheeler and I would share a trail with you any day of the week. As for these other clowns, I sincerely hope we never share the same trail, I value the life of my friends, family and anyone else on the trail.

To all the other Jeepers and readers, please accept my apology as I was not intending to "stir the pot", I simply wanted to point out a very serious and lethal error in Eddie's advice.

Eddie, where's that door you spoke of?? :standing wave:

ok first off the 3 picture mentioned in your first link is used by mountain rescue teams all over to SAVE lives, and its actually only different then the 4th picture because the end straps are looped and stitched, that knot is not hard to remove, you just have to have some brains...

2nd line you dont know anyone here so how can you judge our wheeling abilities or rescue techniques?

3rd line quoted you are stirring the pot with your ridiculous assumptions about others here

4th line quoted use the door but be sure you dont let it hit your ass on the way out.

i found a nice photo that describes you nicely as well!!!

709180.jpg

Last edited:

Tigrcky

He is a troll. Trying to get a rise out of people here since he can't get a rise out of himself and his shitty life.

i just wanna say its times like these that i really love you two!!! hey lets go tie some square knots into some walmart recovery straps!:cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Years and years ago when I did my trail guiding course we were given pamphlets quite similar and it was pounded into our heads before we were given an exam at the end of our training course. You either receive 100% on the exam or fail.

Seriously? There are actually "trail guiding" courses you can take where you're given "pamphlets" and you either received 100% on the exam or failed?? So, did you pass? :idontknow:

That is a great read! :clap2: Did you happen to notice what they said "not to do when joining two straps" in "Making the Recovery".

Off-road is extremely serious business and when it is not practiced to the book someone has the potential of becoming seriously injured or even becoming a fatality (Like I mentioned in my second post where I was completely shit on for sharing the CORRECT method of attaching two straps). Like shown here: http://www.legionlandrover.com/manuales/4wd recovery_how to join recovery straps.pdf and here (at bottom of page) http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/Snatch-Strap-ARB-11000kg--ARB710.html

Oh, I get it, you're one of them overlander types that do a lot of reading on the internet, watch videos and take courses so that you can pat yourself on the back, pretend like you actually have real experience and self-righteously criticize others for things you have no real clue about. :thumb:

Even though I myself have a great video demonstrating the safe means of attaching two straps together I will not post a link to my video, rather than be accused of "promoting my own agenda"!! Honestly I would rather see someone learn from it and make one more trail ride safe and enjoyable rather than a fatality.

Well of course it was great. I mean, you made it so it has to be, right?

This is a great informative video I found (not mine) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JBnxSqpuCM
I could go on posting probably another dozen or two links that will tell you DO NOT ATTACH TWO STRAPS TOGETHER WITH A D-RING/CLEVIS but you all know how to research off-road safety I am sure.

What can I say, if it's on YouTube, it has to be right and I have to be wrong. :grayno:

Actually, thinking back to the next couple pages after my post perhaps I am wrong, there wasn't much intelligence there, right ridg3runner :naw:
I seriously think Serg5000 knew better but didn't want to get shit on by Emperor Eddie's posey of minions.

Kudos to TreyJK, the only other intelligent life in this thread. you were 100% bang on and thank you for stepping up. You are a true Jeeper and wheeler and I would share a trail with you any day of the week. As for these other clowns, I sincerely hope we never share the same trail, I value the life of my friends, family and anyone else on the trail.

Funny how if people agree with me, they are "clowns" and "minions" but if people agree with you, they get kudos and are true Jeepers and wheelers. :thinking:

Eddie my friend, I seriously hope you have a disclaimer on your poor advice as I can smell a lawsuit if anyone took your advice and wound up killing their wife, child or friend due to your ignorance and the fact that you cannot admit when you are wrong. Like I said in my other post, "I was researching" because I am not about to shoot my mouth off without knowing for a fact that I am correct.

But, why would you need to research anything being that you've already taken a course where you got pamphlets. Does this mean you failed and you were doing research so that you could get 100% the next time around? :idontknow:

To all the other Jeepers and readers, please accept my apology as I was not intending to "stir the pot", I simply wanted to point out a very serious and lethal error in Eddie's advice.

Funny, I thought you were here to do research. :thinking:

PSS: I am sure this post will be deleted... Eddie, where's that door you spoke of?? :standing wave:

:eek: Imagine that.... your post is still here. Maybe I can send you a pamphlet on how things work around here :yup:

munstie

:cheesy: Honestly, when I read that, I was thinking the same thing :crazyeyes: :D

:cheesy: Well, he did take a "course" where he got a pamphlet. :yup:

And probably had to print out the certificate online.:D

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

machinegunmedic

I don't know if I should have started this on a new thread, this one has gone a little south. However it has to do with my original question on recovery. I broke my steel line last fall pulling a friend out and replaced it with Masterpull synthetic. I put it on the drum nice and tight and thought I did a good job however..... I tried to walk line out last week and it wouldn't budge. I had to power line out. Has anyone had problems with synthetic line free spooling? Could it be the extreme cold we were having? I found that the line would bite down on the line underneath it more so than wire. The winch and line are covered from the elements so I don't think it was moisture problem freezing line etc.

Armydog

I don't know if I should have started this on a new thread, this one has gone a little south. However it has to do with my original question on recovery. I broke my steel line last fall pulling a friend out and replaced it with Masterpull synthetic. I put it on the drum nice and tight and thought I did a good job however..... I tried to walk line out last week and it wouldn't budge. I had to power line out. Has anyone had problems with synthetic line free spooling? Could it be the extreme cold we were having? I found that the line would bite down on the line underneath it more so than wire. The winch and line are covered from the elements so I don't think it was moisture problem freezing line etc.

Good question. Planning a switch to synthetic and will watch for replies....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Okay, here's another one that people who take courses and get pamphlets will say that I'm wrong about and ya'll can take it for whatever it's worth.

1. Attach your synthetic line to the drum and then wind it in nice and neat orderly lines for at least 10 loop or even better, until the drum is completely lined.
2. Apply a 6"-12" piece of duct tape lengthwise along the line from the drum out. This will help you to know that you are at the limit of what is safe to let out.
3. From here, continue winding in your line but NOT in neat orderly lines but rather, at an angle so that as you work your way back and forth, the line will be crisscrossed.

While this will not look as pretty, it will prevent your line from biting down through the wraps.

Please note, I have not taken any courses, have not gotten any pamphlets and certainly have not taken an exam where you either pass 100% or fail. This is just something that I've learned over the years. You can take it or leave it. :yup:

machinegunmedic

Okay, here's another one that people who take courses and get pamphlets will say that I'm wrong about and ya'll can take it for whatever it's worth.

1. Attach your synthetic line to the drum and then wind it in nice and neat orderly lines for at least 10 loop or even better, until the drum is completely lined.
2. Apply a 6"-12" piece of duct tape lengthwise along the line from the drum out. This will help you to know that you are at the limit of what is safe to let out.
3. From here, continue winding in your line but NOT in neat orderly lines but rather, at an angle so that as you work your way back and forth, the line will be crisscrossed.

While this will not look as pretty, it will prevent your line from biting down through the wraps.

Please note, I have not taken any courses, have not gotten any pamphlets and certainly have not taken an exam where you either pass 100% or fail. This is just something that I've learned over the years. You can take it or leave it. :yup:

Thanks Eddie. My line on the drum has a 'heat sheath' on the first line so I will for go the duct tape. This also serves as my visual. However I'm going to try the criss cross method. I would like a certificate upon completion for Recovery 101!

God I just got sucked in, didn't I.

Armydog

So, a single layer of line laid straight side by side (traditional wrap), mark that spot and criss cross the rest to keep them from sinking into each other. Interesting.

Robar

The Enforcer
Ok ok. Now, no one here has any excuse to not have a certificate. Just type your name on the line and print it out.

IMG_0254.JPG

Top Bottom