Removing catalytic converter on 2.5 TJ

Giley's Jeep

I live in a county where there is no smog regulations. Wise idea to remove converter to gain more performance or bad idea. And what effect, if any, if O2 sensors are left in place or removed?

swampdog

The performance gain will me minimal and it will most likely sound like shit. Leave it as is would be my vote.

JeepJeep75

If you remove the cat it will definitely mess up the downstream O2 sensors, and it will mess with the fuel mixture making it run rich. When it runs rich all the time it has an effect of "scrubbing" the lubricating oil off of the cylinder walls, which wears them out quickly. I tried this on an old Mazda pickup when I was in high school. Taking the cat off ruined the motor.

Giley's Jeep

If you remove the cat it will definitely mess up the downstream O2 sensors, and it will mess with the fuel mixture making it run rich. When it runs rich all the time it has an effect of "scrubbing" the lubricating oil off of the cylinder walls, which wears them out quickly. I tried this on an old Mazda pickup when I was in high school. Taking the cat off ruined the motor.

Good advice...thanks

The rear o2 sensor has nothing to do with the fuel mix. Only the pre cat sensor. The post cat sensor is merely there to monitor the cat. I cored out my cat as it was broken and rattling and it's not much louder at all. No noticeable gains in Hp.

Top Bottom